List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His VFL form had been patchy at best post return from injury so why would he suddenly turn that around when asked to play as a pseudo KPD at senior level? A role I can't recall him ever playing.
NOt disputing that he was a very strange and poor selection for that game. Especially when we had shaz going really well in the vfl. Not disputing that he was up against it. But that doesn’t excuse him and what was one of the worst individual defensive performances I’ve seen from one of our players in a long time. I thought he was inept at a lot of basics and lacked determination in the contests.... selection had zero to do with that is my point.
I’m not writing him off. He showed a fair bit last year.

It was dreadful by the selection committee. No argument there. But they didn’t make him play so badly. That’s on him. He had an opportunity to show us what he can do on taller opponents...

Here's some perspective for you.

Appleby vs Cameron:

Appleby vs Finlayson:

If you can't be bothered clicking the links then Appleby was giving away 3-4 inches and 10kg-14kg to Finlayson and Cameron respectively.

I don't know if it was put down to necessity, but getting a skinny kid to try to do the job on a big, strong KPP when he had only *ever* played on opposing small forwards was only ever going to turn out the way it did.

To put it into context the midfield equivalent would be expecting Callum Brown to tag Fyfe or Cripps, and I'm sure we all know how that would turn out - ie. Callum could be the best 177cm / 77kg midfielder there ever was and he'd still get smashed at the stoppages because he wouldn't be able to compete on a physical level.

Saying that Flynn was given a job and should have done better at it when it was clear from the start that he didn't have the physical tools or the preparation going in to play effectively as a KPD on far bigger and stronger opponents is both laughable and a massive slight on our selection committee.

Yes he didn't play well, but I'd like to see *anyone* on this board do better under the same circumstances against a competent opponent at any level of football.

Sheesh!

Edit: If I recall correctly nobody played well that day and our much vaunted midfield was collectively worst-on-ground by a significant margin in the first half, with the way they let the GWS midfield do whatever they pleased under virtually no pressure.

Last edited:

Every single Melbourne supporter I know (and i work with quite a few) all hate Sam Frost as a footballer. Prone to lose concentration and do dumb things.

We done well turning Melbourne Players into Guns Recently

Every single Melbourne supporter I know (and i work with quite a few) all hate Sam Frost as a footballer. Prone to lose concentration and do dumb things.

It's a bit strange because on a lot of occasions he also pulls their arses out of the fire when the ball is turned over in the midfield or at half back. Easily their most effective KPD this year and by a significant margin.

I would rate him the worst footballer in the AFL that is getting regular games. He’s terrible.

Not sure where opinions like this come from based on what I've seen of him - yes he does screw up occasionally but he also does a job down back and wins a lot of contests he has no right to even halve.

Here's some perspective for you.

Appleby vs Cameron:

Appleby vs Finlayson:

If you can't be bothered clicking the links then Appleby was giving away 3-4 inches and 10kg-14kg to Finlayson and Cameron respectively.

I don't know if it was put down to necessity, but getting a skinny kid to try to do the job on a big, strong KPP when he had only *ever* played on opposing small forwards was only ever going to turn out the way it did.

To put it into context the midfield equivalent would be expecting Callum Brown to tag Fyfe or Cripps, and I'm sure we all know how that would turn out - ie. Callum could be the best 177cm / 77kg midfielder there ever was and he'd still get smashed at the stoppages because he wouldn't be able to compete on a physical level.

Saying that Flynn was given a job and should have done better at it when it was clear from the start that he didn't have the physical tools or the preparation going in to play effectively as a KPD on far bigger and stronger opponents is both laughable and a massive slight on our selection committee.

Yes he didn't play well, but I'd like to see *anyone* on this board do better under the same circumstances against a competent opponent at any level of football.

Sheesh!

Edit: If I recall correctly nobody played well that day and our much vaunted midfield was collectively worst-on-ground by a significant margin in the first half, with the way they let the GWS midfield do whatever they pleased under virtually no pressure.
I’m a simple man with a simple analysis. He was woefully s**t. That’s my perspective. Make up all the overblown excuses for that you like.

TOM CUTLER

Looks headed back to Victoria for next season, but it’s unclear which club is really interested. It’s not Collingwood, and Carlton have made Jack Martin and Tom Papley their priorities. Brisbane wants to keep Cutler but are waiting on his management to come back to them about his intentions for next year.

MATT SCHARENBERG

Collingwood has no intention to let Scharenberg go despite reports he was possibly on the way out. The Adelaide clubs aren’t knocking on the door either, at this stage. So the South Australian is at short odds to lace up again for Collingwood in 2020, unless there is a stunning backflip. Coming into his prime as a player and back in the selection frame for the preliminary final.

I’m a simple man with a simple analysis. He was woefully s**t. That’s my perspective. Make up all the overblown excuses for that you like.

No overblown excuses there - just facts. Choosing to ignore the facts is your prerogative.

TOM CUTLER

Looks headed back to Victoria for next season, but it’s unclear which club is really interested. It’s not Collingwood, and Carlton have made Jack Martin and Tom Papley their priorities. Brisbane wants to keep Cutler but are waiting on his management to come back to them about his intentions for next year.

MATT SCHARENBERG

Collingwood has no intention to let Scharenberg go despite reports he was possibly on the way out. The Adelaide clubs aren’t knocking on the door either, at this stage. So the South Australian is at short odds to lace up again for Collingwood in 2020, unless there is a stunning backflip. Coming into his prime as a player and back in the selection frame for the preliminary final.

So at the Moment going by Reports. Could be a Boring Trade Period for Collingwood Fans.

As we be more Concerned with Re-Signing Grundy-Moore-De Goey

Might do a Roughead kind of Trade at Most

TOM CUTLER

MATT SCHARENBERG

Seems like we're not really interested in anyone this trade period then. Must have only sniffed at Langdon without really trying.

Seems like we're not really interested in anyone this trade period then. Must have only sniffed at Langdon without really trying.

I thought that for the 1st Week of last trade period but at end of the 1st Week we got Told about Beams and Roughead

TOM CUTLER

MATT SCHARENBERG

Good to hear about Shaz. Cutler I’m fine with either way.

Trade talk should be quiet right now. We didn’t know about Beams and Roughy late in the piece. Happy to go to the draft this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us try and live trade picks come draft night if there’s someone still on the board we like. The draft this year is very even besides the top 2/3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So at the Moment going by Reports. Could be a Boring Trade Period for Collingwood Fans.

As we be more Concerned with Re-Signing Grundy-Moore-De Goey

Might do a Roughead kind of Trade at Most

I don't think we'll hear anything juicy until our season is over. And even then we don't seem to wag our tongue as a club like we used to. We could still have a fun trade period.

I don't think we'll hear anything juicy until our season is over. And even then we don't seem to wag our tongue as a club like we used to. We could still have a fun trade period.

I am also not expecting any big news about us while our Season is still alive.

Last Season could be Proof that we are better of Keeping Secrets. Espically after Pert Left

No overblown excuses there - just facts. Choosing to ignore the facts is your prerogative.
I’m not the one ignoring the ‘facts’ and I didn’t need you to tell me them. As I said if you bothered to read what You ‘replied’ to: he was up against it and it was a selection mistake. That doesn’t alter the fact that he played an unacceptably bad game. You are hellbent on ignoring the fact he played a REALLY s**t game and providing excuses for it, which is your prerogative.
Talk of considering playing this guy in finals this year is amusing. Given part of the rationale supposedly in his favour is that his last performance was only so bad because it was a mistake to select him in the first place. But hey, now his confidence is shot, let’s try it again in a prelim final and expect a better result. Genius.

Even Melbourne players have their hearts in their mouths when Frost has the ball in his hands. They had a player on the Rush Hour a month or so ago and he told them they’ve even got a name for it. ‘Frost Ball’. They never know what’s going to happen when he gets it...

What did they used to say about guys like Rivers, Dunn, Frawley etc?
Not that it’s relevant, but from what I saw Dees supporters loved Frawley until he went eco before he left, most seemed to like Dunn and were annoyed that he wasn’t getting games in his final year even though he was performing better than O Mac, and I’m pretty sure most were upset when Rivers went over to Geelong. They were/are all far better players than Frost, who’s only marginally better than his older brother.

The crux of Morris' story was that "other clubs believe he is gettable". Not much else apart from that.
Not that I believe the story but if Langdon had been playing Schaz’ role for the past few weeks there would have been no chance he’d be dropped. Moore, Roughead and Howe are locks for the key/intercept defender positions and when Langdon comes back there’s four locks. I doubt we’d go in with five if all were available. He’s already down enough the pecking order to dropped and will go further down once Langdon comes back. Would make sense for him leave to a club where he’d be a lock.

We done well turning Melbourne Players into Guns Recently
Dunn and Howe were already reasonably decent footballers though Dave. Frost is terrible, he’ll never become a gun.

Couldn’t agree more.
Ironically at present, his body is a poisoned chalice. The same athletic gifts of being 6 foot 8 inches tall, 103 kgs, as fast as any other player on our list, great vertical leap and amazing agility, have caused his hamstrings issues.
I have no doubt he will get over the soft tissue injuries. He’s only 23 and may play another 10 years.
He has all the physical attributes along with footy smarts, excellent ability to read the play and vice like hands to become a powerhouse defender.
He could also make it as a forward, looking forward to getting a complete season.

I’m not the one ignoring the ‘facts’ and I didn’t need you to tell me them. As I said if you bothered to read what You ‘replied’ to: he was up against it and it was a selection mistake. That doesn’t alter the fact that he played an unacceptably bad game. You are hellbent on ignoring the fact he played a REALLY s**t game and providing excuses for it, which is your prerogative.
Talk of considering playing this guy in finals this year is amusing. Given part of the rationale supposedly in his favour is that his last performance was only so bad because it was a mistake to select him in the first place. But hey, now his confidence is shot, let’s try it again in a prelim final and expect a better result. Genius.

Here's a tip - don't make assumptions about what I do or don't take note of. I'm pretty sure I saw a post with a familiar looking nick not so far back noting that Appleby had a 'mare in that particular game.

The fact is there were real factors which led to his performance in that game and castigating him for that performance after his confidence was shot early (along with pretty much everyone else wearing black and white that day) in a situation where he was absolutely set up to fail is a bit of a head scratcher.

I'm not suggesting he be an in for this finals campaign as I don't think his form at VFL level has been anywhere near good enough, but I stand by the opinion that he still potentially could work out as an effective small-medium defender down the track.

Reading your other replies makes it appear that we are on the same page in this respect.

Last edited:
It's a bit strange because on a lot of occasions he also pulls their arses out of the fire when the ball is turned over in the midfield or at half back. Easily their most effective KPD this year and by a significant margin.

Not sure where opinions like this come from based on what I've seen of him - yes he does screw up occasionally but he also does a job down back and wins a lot of contests he has no right to even halve.

Nick Riewoldt rates Frost as Melbourne’s best defender. Quick and tough to play on. At least he can lock down a Key forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back