Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stack or Pickett are available then i would play them before Ellis

We have gone past players that are no longer able to give 100%

Brendon Gale asked the players after last years prelim : Look eachother in the eyes knowing you gave everything and the guy looking you back should be able to look you in the eye knowing he did also.

Ellis wont be able to look anybody in the eyes on saturdays performance

Yep. Saw that early doors and it really got to him. Robinson and Berry were tormenting him before and during the game. They have identified him as a weakness and an easy target. A more clinical team would’ve punished his mistakes. I have defended him throughout the season but he is a serious problem right now.

So let’s bump a guy before the game who’s who’s bread and butter is uncontested footy ? That makes sense.
How did that all end for Robinson? He looked pretty distressed out there after 1/4 time. One of his legs fell off in the end.

So let’s bump a guy before the game who’s who’s bread and butter is uncontested footy ? That makes sense.
How did that all end for Robinson? He looked pretty distressed out there after 1/4 time. One of his legs fell off in the end.

Yep. And all of that happened right in front of me before the first bounce and like you’re alluding too, had ZERO impact on the game. The two hardly crossed paths the rest of the night.

Brendon Gale asked the players after last years prelim : Look eachother in the eyes knowing you gave everything and the guy looking you back should be able to look you in the eye knowing he did also.

Ah the old 'look your mate in the eyes' bit of histrionics. Much prefer Yabbie's playing for 'mates and memories' myself. I get where you are coming from but unless he's decided to stay Brandon might as well be looking into a mannequin's eyes

Ah the old 'look your mate in the eyes' bit of histrionics. Much prefer Yabbie's playing for 'mates and memories' myself. I get where you are coming from but unless he's decided to stay Brandon might as well be looking into a mannequin's eyes
View attachment 743873
This picture was taken at the center bounce on saturday night when Mich came to Brandon

Don't want him in the side anymore. Sat night was the final straw. Plays petrified and has no composure, therefore I wouldn't trust him as my teammate.

If Pickett plays well this week he'll be in the side for Ellis.

Would you rather rather someone who puts their balls on the line or you would you rather someone that flinches all the time.

will/might comment further when/if i watch replay of 360 as i was on the phone at work at the time but basically said picking onballers as wingers in AA side was wrong are they are ball hunters and his version of an essential winger needed to be ? blah blah blah hard selfless runners ? blah blah (missed that bit) ....100% team oriented first...would presume it was in context on how hard it will be to replace mitch robinson
updated
lions coach pretty much said what i first heard
gave credit to mitch, as an elite hard to replace wingman, playing that role of a hard running, team sacrificial and gave him a heap of praise saying he's gone from an inside bull to an outside runner, many elite mids can't play wing as they are ball hunters

my spin on this is no one has the human capacity to be an inside bull, a ball hunter, a 100% team oriented player and a gut runner and still spend around 90% game time.

have seen young developing teams with 14 or 15 young guys trying to do it all with this gut busting caper and they are gone 10minutes into the 3rd

team needs a mixed bag of various types. has always made sense to me why brando dosen't get sucked into contests and is often running towards oppo goals when there seems enough time for brando to go and crash into someone and perhaps make an impact.... maybe he's better off 60 metres away, team wise assisting with our defensive team structures and set ups instead.

eagles (82) are the only team to kick any score over 70 since the bye.

heard a few galahs mentioned how other teams just go thru brandos man, good luck to them i say if they do

brando rarely plays shoulder tight on anyone, often picking up dusty or dions man coz he's team orientated first and offensive second. lambert is similar. dion and dusty are the opposite so it balances out.

brando is a defensive winger, caddy is taking maccas role over as a mad dog and rioli/stanza/bolts are cameo high half forwards/wingers

i get annoyed too with some soft efforts but the days of high scoring/kick long when in doubt, king hit or be king hit and kick chasey days of the 70s are gone.

heard yabbie jeans say once in a scathing attack on someone if you go in hard or courageously to a contest needlessly and lose your feet or are injured 'you are bloody useless to us'.

Don't want him in the side anymore. Sat night was the final straw. Plays petrified and has no composure, therefore I wouldn't trust him as my teammate.

If Pickett plays well this week he'll be in the side for Ellis.

Would you rather rather someone who puts their balls on the line or you would you rather someone that flinches all the time.
maybe you could point out some of your brave efforts on the footy field in your heyday :D

Saturday was the lowest of lows for Brando. Couple of times where he got the ball with absolutely no pressure and his head was flying around in panic mode. I mentioned weeks ago his big test would come week one of finals and as I predicted he couldn’t stand up to the heat. Nothing will improve next week and we can’t afford to be playing a man down so a change has to be made.

I watched the game with a group of 15 odd people on Saturday night and the neutral supporters were taking the piss out of Ellis all night and laughing at how bad/soft he was. I just rewatched the third quarter and even when we got on top there were moments that made me cringe. Berry ragdolled him at 10:21 in a one-on-one marking contest in our forward fifty. He outmuscled Ellis and threw him to the ground which allowed him to take a mark. At 9:03 there was a weak attempted tackle by Ellis where Lyons literally shrugged him off while Ellis couldn’t even hold his feet. At 7:55 he makes another piss weak attempt at tackling Zorko and Zorko evades him with ease by brushing him aside. At 6:10 there was another piss weak effort where Ellis went to go the hip and shoulder and could’ve really lined a Brisbane player up but went half arsed and the Brisbane player retained the ball and generated an i50 which resulted in a shot on goal. At 2:22 he bangs the ball on his boot due to perceived pressure despite being 5 metres in clear space and turns it over. Zero awareness and composure. This was all in the third quarter where we ran rampant and he was still sh*tting himself. It must be disheartening playing with this bloke at times. I really hope he is dropped for someone who puts their body on the line. His running power is absolutely pointless when he just burns the ball or makes a pathetic contest. Some of his attempts at being physical were embarrassingly laughable. Benny Hill music couldn’t be more appropriate when watching Ellis’s third quarter highlights.
This one was more than weak, he took a sidestep to miss him. Very strange and showed his lack of confidence.

Last edited:
I watched the game with a group of 15 odd people on Saturday night and the neutral supporters were taking the piss out of Ellis all night and laughing at how bad/soft he was. I just rewatched the third quarter and even when we got on top there were moments that made me cringe. Berry ragdolled him at 10:21 in a one-on-one marking contest in our forward fifty. He outmuscled Ellis and threw him to the ground which allowed him to take a mark. At 9:03 there was a weak attempted tackle by Ellis where Lyons literally shrugged him off while Ellis couldn’t even hold his feet. At 7:55 he makes another piss weak attempt at tackling Zorko and Zorko evades him with ease by brushing him aside. At 6:10 there was another piss weak effort where Ellis went to go the hip and shoulder and could’ve really lined a Brisbane player up but went half arsed and the Brisbane player retained the ball and generated an i50 which resulted in a shot on goal. At 2:22 he bangs the ball on his boot due to perceived pressure despite being 5 metres in clear space and turns it over. Zero awareness and composure. This was all in the third quarter where we ran rampant and he was still sh*tting himself. It must be disheartening playing with this bloke at times. I really hope he is dropped for someone who puts their body on the line. His running power is absolutely pointless when he just burns the ball or makes a pathetic contest. Some of his attempts at being physical were embarrassingly laughable. Benny Hill music couldn’t be more appropriate when watching Ellis’s third quarter highlights.
Should have tackled, went for the soft option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question is can we offer a free agent or have a player on the come up they warrant the contract he would get?

Which free agent or which development player?

Ross feels like the natural replacement but if we can bring in a free agent why not?

Outstanding post and 100 per cent truth. Even took the liberty of going back and watching it to check your time and incident references.
All spot on.
Sadly your post won't resonate with some as 'weak attempted tackles', 'half-arsed hip and shoulders', being generally 'outmuscled', and the like don't show up on the all important STATS SHEET, which is a a far greater guide to anything the human eye can reveal well before picking up said STATS SHEET!
It was a pretty inglorious performance and I'd expect he'll pay the price!

Yes, Gun .... but that blinder in his Tigers debut which earned him three votes, put him time .. and plenty of it!

will/might comment further when/if i watch replay of 360 as i was on the phone at work at the time but basically said picking onballers as wingers in AA side was wrong are they are ball hunters and his version of an essential winger needed to be ? blah blah blah hard selfless runners ? blah blah (missed that bit) ....100% team oriented first...would presume it was in context on how hard it will be to replace mitch robinson
updated
lions coach pretty much said what i first heard
gave credit to mitch, as an elite hard to replace wingman, playing that role of a hard running, team sacrificial and gave him a heap of praise saying he's gone from an inside bull to an outside runner, many elite mids can't play wing as they are ball hunters

my spin on this is no one has the human capacity to be an inside bull, a ball hunter, a 100% team oriented player and a gut runner and still spend around 90% game time.

have seen young developing teams with 14 or 15 young guys trying to do it all with this gut busting caper and they are gone 10minutes into the 3rd

team needs a mixed bag of various types. has always made sense to me why brando dosen't get sucked into contests and is often running towards oppo goals when there seems enough time for brando to go and crash into someone and perhaps make an impact.... maybe he's better off 60 metres away, team wise assisting with our defensive team structures and set ups instead.

eagles (82) are the only team to kick any score over 70 since the bye.

heard a few galahs mentioned how other teams just go thru brandos man, good luck to them i say if they do

brando rarely plays shoulder tight on anyone, often picking up dusty or dions man coz he's team orientated first and offensive second. lambert is similar. dion and dusty are the opposite so it balances out.

brando is a defensive winger, caddy is taking maccas role over as a mad dog and rioli/stanza/bolts are cameo high half forwards/wingers

i get annoyed too with some soft efforts but the days of high scoring/kick long when in doubt, king hit or be king hit and kick chasey days of the 70s are gone.

heard yabbie jeans say once in a scathing attack on someone if you go in hard or courageously to a contest needlessly and lose your feet or are injured 'you are bloody useless to us'.

Ellis would have disappeared five years ago under Yabbie Jeans!

SEN now saying Essendon are in the race for Brando lol could be bidding war between Suns & Bombers. The way Essendon played v West Coast I think Ellis will fit right in! :tearsofjoy:

SEN now saying Essendon are in the race for Brando lol could be bidding war between Suns & Bombers. The way Essendon played v West Coast I think Ellis will fit right in! :tearsofjoy:
Truck,Carracella and now a player who plays through all the different systems of play at the Tiges this year.
Thats alot of intel for the day they actually get some talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back