Preview 2019 Semi Final v West Coast

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Open Mike interview with Stevie J. he accounted for himself and our Club very well.
Most interesting, says we would not have won 2011 without Scott (and with a distracted Bomber).
Very different point of view to the Scott-got-2011- gifted crew?

Only thing is, I had the subtitles on, and he mentioned he was making way for youth.....
someone named Al Jazeera. Al must have had a lighting career, never heard of him.
Pretty sure the monkey inside the machine meant to type Kolodjashnij

Good Open Mike interview with Stevie J. he accounted for himself and our Club very well.
Most interesting, says we would not have won 2011 without Scott (and with a distracted Bomber).

Only thing is, I had the subtitles on, and he mentioned he was making way for youth.....
someone named Al Jazeera. Al must have had a lighting career, never heard of him.

Probably meant to type Daniel Menzel - I know not exactly youth at the time Stevie J left, but he was seen as being one to come into our forward line for 2016 onwards

I can remember another interview or reading something from Stevie J and when Scott was talking to him about the youth coming through and Menzel being one of those. At the time Stevie wasn't exactly happy with the news and pretty frustrated at the idea that he was being pushed out for a guy who had had 4 knee reconstructions and Stevie said he had doubts over Menzel's ability to even get on the park.

Wonder what 2019 Stevie would say to 2015 Stevie about his grooms you around that decision and discussion etc

Id liked mike to ask him about his in game choices...the go for it kicks but generally it was a good interview.. left me feeling he had something to offer ..to help our players cope with pressure..

Probably meant to type Daniel Menzel - I know not exactly youth at the time Stevie J left, but he was seen as being one to come into our forward line for 2016 onwards

I can remember another interview or reading something from Stevie J and when Scott was talking to him about the youth coming through and Menzel being one of those. At the time Stevie wasn't exactly happy with the news and pretty frustrated at the idea that he was being pushed out for a guy who had had 4 knee reconstructions and Stevie said he had doubts over Menzel's ability to even get on the park.

Wonder what 2019 Stevie would say to 2015 Stevie about his grooms you around that decision and discussion etc

Maybe, Kolo debuted 2015, and they were chasing Danger. Menzel had that aura of brilliance about him. Unfulfilled, so he may have been right.
He was quite calm and well spoken, no regrets (Sheehan pushed) and loves the Club. As you would.

It was painful, if not deja vu, to see us missing early shots. We've been guilty of it in most of our losses this year. After their initial 10min onslaught, we dominated, only to waste several easy shots, plus stuff up several forays into I50. Right before 1/4 time, they take it forward and Elliott gets a set shot and nails it.
we have lost games in finals since 2008 because of piss poor conversion

the lions showed on the weekend, when its your time you need to convert
its the players who need to stand up in those moments

hawkins was deplorable in dropping mark after mark after mark
geelong need to be clean and all cant be left to danger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a crazy idea/suggestion:

Looking back over the first half of the season, we weren't meant to be 11-1 going into the bye, there were those who even suggested that we could be 0-8 with our start to the season - we were something of the underdog for vast stretches at the start of the season and we responded really strongly.

After the bye we were clear on top of the ladder and we were now the hunted. We were up & down across over the second half of the season, especially against teams finding that extra something when playing against the top of the ladder side.

After our loss last week, we again find ourselves as the underdog, having to do the hunting and prove ourselves. Any chance that that may actually be better for this team - backs up against the wall seemed to unite this team at the start of the season, so maybe it will again now...

Maybe Scott is rolling the dice - he’s accepted we can’t ever win after any kind of week off. So may as well go the long way -nothing to lose. So he wasn’t fussed by the outcome on Friday night and our chances aren’t dented because no week off. I don’t mean he tried to lose.
I’m crazy right.

Ha that’s how I feel.
What’s the point in beating an average side like we did in 2016?
Get smashed anyway in prelim.
We have to beat Richmond to win a flag no matter what.
Everyone else is beatable now.

Many going to this?

I have a horrible feeling no, considering last week's numbers. Two Friday nights is just too much of a struggle for some, especially with train delays and not enough seats homebound late, like last week. Depends on your whereabouts,. e.,g. Western District and/or health to take it on, not loyalty.

Sadly there is also the expectation of losing and wasted energy/cash after last week. Might not like it, as the boys need support, but people do think that way.

I'm unsure but looks like the AFL has blocked level 4 and standing room (stopping people taking empty seats?) to maximise profits and TV cosmetics. Others would know. AFL desperate to get numbers, probably hoping Cats fans don't vote with their feet and stay home.

I'm really struggling to care about this game.

They threw away a golden opportunity with carelessness last week, and you just know that a win this week will only see them implode against a brick wall the next.

It's not the fact we lost that angered me.... It's the manner in which we lost. You could see the Pies wanted it with their whole mind and soul, they attacked the ball, hunted it, whilst - yet again - we had little heart or willingness to exert ourselves.

The truly infuriating thing is that this same limp, lazy attitude has hamstrung nearly every final we've contested since 2011, no matter the many changes, selection choices, and claims of wounded pride.

Why?
Fair enough. I respect your opinion. If I felt that strongly I would probably not watch the match this week. Not parting with money or watching matches is the true way to show them you are serious. Enough people do that and change may happen. Personally I'm not at that stage of disconnection. Excited to cheer on my hopeless bumbling boys yet again and cry once the fat lady sings. I do feel bad for the ones that this has acted as the final straw for. Its crappy when a club has that affect on its supporters.

I have a horrible feeling no, considering last week's numbers. Two Friday nights is just too much of a struggle for some, especially with train delays and not enough seats homebound late, like last week. Depends on your whereabouts,. e.,g. Western District and/or health to take it on, not loyalty.

Sadly there is also the expectation of losing and wasted energy/cash after last week. Might not like it, as the boys need support, but people do think that way.

I'm unsure but looks like the AFL has blocked level 4 and standing room (stopping people taking empty seats?) to maximise profits and TV cosmetics. Others would know. AFL desperate to get numbers, probably hoping Cats fans don't vote with their feet and stay home.
You have summed up my thoughts perfectly. It was a nightmare getting to the game after work for me so I missed the first quarter and didn't get back home until nearly 2am. I am happy to do that once or twice a year at most, but doing it two (potentially three) weeks in a row just isn't possible. If the game was in Geelong, sure, I would have been there in a heartbeat.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. If I felt that strongly I would probably not watch the match this week. Not parting with money or watching matches is the true way to show them you are serious. Enough people do that and change may happen. Personally I'm not at that stage of disconnection. Excited to cheer on my hopeless bumbling boys yet again and cry once the fat lady sings. I do feel bad for the ones that this has acted as the final straw for. Its crappy when a club has that affect on its supporters.

aargh, you got me 😑

I begrudgingly admit I'll be watching the game with one eye open, a sense of dread...... and a small dose of hope 😀

I dunno. I'm not fully disengaged as yet, but I'm .......disappointed, angry, bewildered, embarrassed......that we've yet again dished up the same lazy, disinterested crap in a final and predictably lost.

Where's the pride, the determination, the sheer will????

That's the thing that hurt the most. It wasn't an honourable loss. We didn't give it our all. We just couldn't be bothered at the start.

You look at the way the Pies played, the way the Hawks go about their finals. They craved it, and will bleed for the opportunity, for their jumper.

Meantime, we can barely be arsed getting out of bed for it 😡

Ok, rant over 😊

I remember CS mentioned that he went over to Steve’s house and they had a beer together after this conversation.

Stevie is now a coach and would understand exactly how difficult it is to make these decisions.

aargh, you got me 😑

I begrudgingly admit I'll be watching the game with one eye open, a sense of dread...... and a small dose of hope 😀

I dunno. I'm not fully disengaged as yet, but I'm .......disappointed, angry, bewildered, embarrassed......that we've yet again dished up the same lazy, disinterested crap in a final and predictably lost.

Where's the pride, the determination, the sheer will????

That's the thing that hurt the most. It wasn't an honourable loss. We didn't give it our all. We just couldn't be bothered at the start.

You look at the way the Pies played, the way the Hawks go about their finals. They craved it, and will bleed for the opportunity, for their jumper.

Meantime, we can barely be arsed getting out of bed for it 😡

Ok, rant over 😊
To be fair the Hawks have been as bad as us in recent times in finals.
I thought the effort was there Friday night but the execution wasn't. Just can't perform the basic skills under finals pressure.

To be fair the Hawks have been as bad as us in recent times in finals.
I thought the effort was there Friday night but the execution wasn't. Just can't perform the basic skills under finals pressure.

Maybe I should look closer.

I didn't see much effort at the opening bounce...... We looked disinterested whereas the Pies were ready as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back