Toast Shaun Burgoyne 200 games...and more to come in 2020!

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah said it again this morning on MMM

I hope this is the case of a stopped clock being right once a day, because it is hard to imagine better off season news (other than "Tom Mitchell playing match simulation like he'd never missed a single day"). If true, fingers crossed he can have a good year, and justify another contract to get him to 400 in Brown and Gold (or gets rested for one game during the year, plays every other game, and gets to 400 in the winning grand final team before announcing retirement :) ).

I could see the logic in Silk wanting to stay.

We have a fantastic medical and fitness group that have managed him to his current ripe old age, even through recent hamstring injuries. If he's even slightly concerned with that aspect of the footy department up there he could see it as having potential to end his career early.

In all likelihood, he has a better chance at reaching 400+ games with us if he continues to perform at a high level as we are a known quantity and he knows we can ensure he stays on the park to a greater degree.

I could see the logic in Silk wanting to stay.

We have a fantastic medical and fitness group that have managed him to his current ripe old age, even through recent hamstring injuries. If he's even slightly concerned with that aspect of the footy department up there he could see it as having potential to end his career early.

In all likelihood, he has a better chance at reaching 400+ games with us if he continues to perform at a high level as we are a known quantity and he knows we can ensure he stays on the park to a greater degree.

i suppose he has to take in to account travelling every second week - being a big family man maybe too much time away from family also

I hope this is the case of a stopped clock being right once a day, because it is hard to imagine better off season news (other than "Tom Mitchell playing match simulation like he'd never missed a single day"). If true, fingers crossed he can have a good year, and justify another contract to get him to 400 in Brown and Gold (or gets rested for one game during the year, plays every other game, and gets to 400 in the winning grand final team before announcing retirement :) ).

The published "evidence". https://www.triplem.com.au/story/to...esting-trade-whisper-on-shaun-burgoyne-147348

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news on Burgers. I'm happy he's staying as I reckon he's great for the club. I'm quoting myself to save looking for the article from a few weeks ago where he described his decision. After reading the article this was my conclusion:

"I was certain he was going before I read that article. Now I’m not sure. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay and retire next year even though he’ll be just short of 400. And you never know, he may squeeze one last five-game season out after next year anyways and still make four tons."

I hope the sauce proves correct and he stays in the Brown and Gold.

There is an article in the HS today on Silk where he spoke a bit about the decision he has to make. It wasn’t clear what the options are, but it seems pretty clear he does have options. It’s not as simplistic as comparing playing years. Hawthorn have some sort of post football option in front of him that is compelling and, from the way he talked about the decision he’s looking at, is aligned with personal ambitions.

It seemed pretty obvious from the article, though, that the Suns are offering more playing time and likely more money. So it sort of read to me like he and his family are weighing up his playing career and the more cash vs his post playing career and the less cash. Both options appear compelling.

I imagine he’s got a tough decision in that he can move on to his post career ambitions now or earn a few more bucks and satisfy a few more playing ambitions and then maybe go the post career route. Even though he’ll have another year at the hawks, he would pretty much be deciding it’s his last. Moving to the Gold Coast will have a big impact on his family, though, and is that worth 400?

I was certain he was going before I read that article. Now I’m not sure. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay and retire next year even though he’ll be just short of 400. And you never know, he may squeeze one last five-game season out after next year anyways and still make four tons.

Silks younger son Percy blitzed the school record for the 100m sprint previously owned by older brother Ky.
This comes after i mentioned in another thread that last week Ky won his club b&f and league goalkicking. Who knows how they'll turn out, but a bit of talent and speed there from the old man.

Silks younger son Percy blitzed the school record for the 100m sprint previously owned by older brother Ky.
This comes after i mentioned in another thread that last week Ky won his club b&f and league goalkicking. Who knows how they'll turn out, but a bit of talent and speed there from the old man.
Not to mention that the other side of their family has more than just fair athletic talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back