Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the state of play seems to be that both Bruce and Keath are looking much more likely than not and we should have around $500-600k left over to find a skillfull outside mid/small forward?

Barring any late challenges from bigger clubs, that would be a good position.

I wouldn't hate it if we used up 12 and 30 on Bruce and Keath and got back a 2020 2nd & 3rd/4th rounder.

Having a couple of late throws at the stumps this year and strengthening our hand for next year should leave our list looking really strong
With Martin off the table can anyone see a way we keep 12 and still get Bruce and Keath? The draft does have a few good small/mid forwards with a bit of X factor. Could see McAsey still being there as a tall and Jackson is an interesting proposition.

Haven’t watched any of Keath besides the final round and he didn’t stand out at all. Are we just throwing money at the only tall
backman available or is he actually good?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s actually good. Came back from injury against us so was obviously underdone.

Can get 25 possessions a game with 8m gained, biggest sideways mover of the ball since Crabby McCrab captained the Crabbitons to the Crab Cup at Crabbington University, Crabsville.

But still better than Bont apparently :rolleyes:

How are the Rising Star judges still employed?

Reckon Tex would rather retire than play for us. No body likes us, everybody hates us, think we should sack Power, a few coaches and kick a chocolate Labrador whilst we are at it.
I think we should eat some worms...

Sen (Sam Edmund) saying we offered Martin 700k/5y.

Thank god we missed. That’s stupid money for Martin.

I’d say Bruce is worth that figure just with less years.

Whether you like martin or not, please don’t fret about the money side of things this off-season.

We’re scrambling to hit the AFL salary cap floor......again. Let alone hitting the cap. Let alone hitting the 105% we’re allowed to hit.

We haven’t lost anyone we’ve wanted to keep.

It’s use-it-or-lose-it time with our cap room. We either go into 2020 spending way less than everyone else, or we “overpay” to add to our talent now.

Let’s push our chips into the middle of the table and try and win the thing in 2020.

Whether you like martin or not, please don’t fret about the money side of things this off-season.

We’re scrambling to hit the AFL salary cap floor......again. Let alone hitting the cap. Let alone hitting the 105% we’re allowed to hit.

We haven’t lost anyone we’ve wanted to keep.

It’s use-it-or-lose-it time with our cap room. We either go into 2020 spending way less than everyone else, or we “overpay” to add to our talent now.

Let’s push our chips into the middle of the table and try and win the thing in 2020.

I agree with everything you just said. Except for (in this instance) who we should spend it on.

If we are going to overspend then use it to pry a genuinely elite player. Or at free agent that won’t cost us picks. Like Jamie Elliott for example.

I know its hard to believe, but maybe he based his decision on things other than his financial recompense.
Yep which is something we need to understand as a club and address. You can find a reasonable reason for each individual to reject us but when it starts to become a trend it needs addressing. Regardless of whether you wanted Martin or not, the club would have identified Martin a long way out and put significant time and effort into this. Our recruitment team won’t be happy and neither should we.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t watched any of Keath besides the final round and he didn’t stand out at all. Are we just throwing money at the only tall
backman available or is he actually good?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tom Doedee a man I was not sure even existed was Adelaide's first choice 3rd tall defender come
intercept marker following in the footsteps of the great and powerful Jake Lever who left for the
once powerful Melbourne team with a dream of finals. Alex Keath was a talented junior who chose
cricket over football and later found out he was not that good at cricket. Keath got his chance
when Doedee did his ACL this year to play as the intercepting light bodied 3rd tall. Talia was hurt
in a match this year and Keath who had relegated Hartigan to the SANFL had to play in the key
post and lets just say he got an absolute bath. Keath at the start of the year had played twelve
AFL games, but for a player his size has good pace and reads the play well.

Yep which is something we need to understand as a club and address. You can find a reasonable reason for each individual to reject us but when it starts to become a trend it needs addressing. Regardless of whether you wanted Martin or not, the club would have identified Martin a long way out and put significant time and effort into this. Our recruitment team won’t be happy and neither should we.
Our lack of indigenous players really hurt us when trying to attract indigenous talent.

Martin is the biggest unrealised talent in the AFL and in a different club environment I'm confident he would be a substantially better player.

We just have to move not our next target though. If we do land Keath and Bruce, I'd be very tempted to make a play for Rory Atkins as an RFA.

Obvious answer is results (flags). 60 year hiatus takes some overcoming. 2016 helped but 2017 an 18 made it look a bit anomalous. Second half of 2019 will definitely help with our image as potential contenders though. A solid finals series in 2020 and I reckon we'll look much more attractive as a destination.

Bearing in mind the historical difficulty that clubs like ours have had in obtaining top line trades. Why do you think this is?

Bearing in mind the historical difficulty that clubs like ours have had in obtaining top line trades. Why do you think this is?
There’s probably no short answer. You’re right, historically we have had difficulties. I’d say it’s a combination of lack of success, perceived to be a small club, not glamorous, average training facilities, no MCG pull, stereotype of the west etc. In regards to Martin/Wingard in recent times I have no doubt our poor record with indigenous players is a major factor.
A lot of these things will take time to change if ever.
I don’t have the answer but we might have to get creative around who we target. Young players desperate for an opportunity/get out of where they are now, continue targeting the money ball types like Lloyd/Crozier, identify specific personality types early that want this sort of challenge or their values align with ours.

So the chap that had mail about Ross Lyon weeks ago reckons we’ve made initial inquiries about Lewis Taylor and someone mid-range at Geelong. That’s all he had, so don’t know if Cats player is tall/small/mid/fwd/defender. Hardly worth posting really, so feel free to ignore... ☹
I will take a guess. Rhys Stanley. Could be handy back up Ruck/fwd very athletic Bevo might see something in him. Can he play Key Defence?

With Martin off the table can anyone see a way we keep 12 and still get Bruce and Keath? The draft does have a few good small/mid forwards with a bit of X factor. Could see McAsey still being there as a tall and Jackson is an interesting proposition.
I'd be happy to trade down a bit for both of them and hope Elijah Taylor is available at our pick. Would be perfect for us.

Is Bruce seen as our Tom Boyd replacement?

Pinch hits in the ruck etc

Pretty dependent on who’s in the team.

If all 3 of Naughton/Bruce/Schache are playing forward I suppose Schache would be the chop out ruck.

If Trengrove is picked maybe Trengrove is the chop out (predominately playing defence) and Bruce or Naughton swing back on occasion.

Bruce gives us more marking power and great flexibility. Having 2 of the best contested marking forwards in the comp is tantalising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back