Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that every freaking year people want to trade out our ruckmen?

Cegs has just signed so we must be trading Pitts. But Pitts is contracted, so we must be trading BB. FFS. Why on earth would we trade any of them?

As much as i deplore Gil and the afl this attitude is a bit like throwing the toys out of the cot. Just because it happened once doesn’t mean it will apply for ever more. If at first you don’t succeed try try again.
It’s not the first time though.

There’s no way the Saints trade for McEvoy. They have Marshall developing nicely and they need picks to acquire Hill via trade. I wouldn’t be shocked if GWS are after McEvoy. They need a ruckman.
Saints are linked with trades to Goldstein & Paddy Ryder. They're losing Josh Bruce & Paddy McCartin won't play again so they'll use Marshall forward more. I think Billy Longer may also be gone.

Also, they're losing their Captain to Geelong.

Why would they not trade for BigBoy (who can also mark when forward or back) & name him Captain? Ratts knows him well. He's obviously an excellent ruckman & would make a fine Captain.

BigBoy is excellent for us, but he'd also be excellent for them. I definitely wouldn't be trading him just for a Pick Upgrade, unless it was for a Pick which would guarantee Anderson (which is Pick 1).

Just like the way Geelong landed the Danger deal or how Richmond did side trades with GC to help secure TL.

Naive to extreme !!
You simply do not understand the nuances and options that presented in that deal.
Richmond did no side deals. Players they wanted to delist went to the Gold Coast on seperate deals not a player of Big Boys status.

Geelong are interested in Geary?
The other one - the one that's missed most of the year.

I just checked, Geary is 32 next Season & is the current captain. Honestly thought he'd retired a year ago.

Steven is the one that's going to geelong. Kinda thought they were the same thing...

It's fair to assume Pitt is on the move. But the mail was the Cegs wanted a #1 ruck role somewhere. I'm staggered he'd sign 3 with us without that promise. I get the BB speculation. Something seems to be happening on the side for mine.

Maybe we sign Cegs and then trade him. That way we can pay part of his salary at his new club.

Its get grubby this time of the year.
With every possible scenario there are multiple ramifications through the list.

Something that clubs require is leadership and we are now discussing three of those leaders potentially leaving.
Birchall, Burgoyne and now McEvoy. It sounds as though Birchall wont be going around again and maybe Burger stays (please, please) but getting rid of McEvoy could only be considered if something of serious value was coming back and I don't think a draft pick would suffice.

IIRC BB garnered serious interest from GCS last year? If Burgers has said no to them, I can imagine them inquiring after one of our top end leaders; the feeling of Shiels potentially being up for trade won't go away either (though that seems significantly less likely now that we know Cogs isn't coming) and I can imagine gold coast offering us their compo pick for those two (surely plus a little something else too)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bloody love Big Boy, but if it helped us get Whitfield I would do it in a heartbeat. Cegs does not suddenly go from exploring his options so that he can be the number 1 ruck somewhere, to signing a 3 year extension behind one of the best ruckmen in the league. Makes even more sense why we had one last good look at him at the end of the season to see how he went as the solo ruck. Agree with others that something is brewing here.

We have to be bold to complete the transformation of this list. This is bold.

It's fair to assume Pitt is on the move. But the mail was the Cegs wanted a #1 ruck role somewhere. I'm staggered he'd sign 3 with us without that promise. I get the BB speculation. Something seems to be happening on the side for mine.
Maybe we’re playing games. Ie trade cegs and pay some of his salary as well (now that he’s contracted) to get a better trade outcome. Think we tried to do this previously with GWS and afl blocked it.

Although it could be as simple as we have two afl quality rucks and we want to keep them as BB won’t last forever.

IIRC BB garnered serious interest from GCS last year? If Burgers has said no to them, I can imagine them inquiring after one of our top end leaders; the feeling of Shiels potentially being up for trade won't go away either (though that seems significantly less likely now that we know Cogs isn't coming) and I can imagine gold coast offering us their compo pick for those two (surely plus a little something else too)
Surely Ruck is just about the only position on the ground the Suns aren't completely useless at? Witts would be one of the Suns best players so i would be surprised if the Suns were willing to go hard for him.

I think people are making the wrong assumptions as to the ruckman that may be on the move.
If any are on the move.

Don't most teams have 4 ruck options on a list? Give our number 1 ruck is 30, surely have 4 (with one a project ruck) is just smart list management

1) We preferred to play one solo ruck this year with O’Brien/Lewis giving chopouts in the ruck
2) In the last two games of the year we played Ceglar as #1 ruck and moved McEvoy to the backline
3) We signed Ceglar for 3 years suggesting we intend to play him as the solo ruck
4) McEvoy is too good a player to be out of the side

All this could suggest multiple things:

1) We genuinely believe McEvoy is capable as a defender and intend to utilise him to wrestle the strong KPFs
2) McEvoy has signalled that he is going to retire next year so we have decided to give Ceglar greater opportunity
3) We are putting McEvoy on the table for a suitable deal
4) We are going to return to playing two ruckmen with one resting forward

1) We preferred to play one solo ruck this year with O’Brien/Lewis giving chopouts in the ruck
2) In the last two games of the year we played Ceglar as #1 ruck and moved McEvoy to the backline
3) We signed Ceglar for 3 years suggesting we intend to play him as the solo ruck
4) McEvoy is too good a player to be out of the side

All this could suggest multiple things:

1) We genuinely believe McEvoy is capable as a defender and intend to utilise him to wrestle the strong KPFs
2) McEvoy has signalled that he is going to retire next year so we have decided to give Ceglar greater opportunity
3) We are putting McEvoy on the table for a suitable deal
4) We are going to return to playing two ruckmen with one resting forward
How does our apparent interest in Frost change this?

In Ceglar's 9 years on an AFL list, he has only played more than 15 games once in his career, and that was only 19. (Some due to form but a lot of injuries)

Is he durable enough to be a number 1 ruck (with only Pitto and Reeves) below him during a genuine flag chasing year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back