Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a key point. I agree with Bruno that Brown’s style won’t cut it in intense games. However I disagree that Begley presented much of a better option this particular September. Baguley certainly not. We don’t have the cattle this year. Maybe Zerk-Thatcher or Hayley back and Ambrose forward? But Ambrose is quite limited forward and was Zerk or Hartley really gonna hold down Kennedy or Darling? No, probably not.

No one is talking Stewart but Worsfold would have dreamed in Feb of a fit and firing Daniher / Stringer / Stewart / Fantasia / Walla / Smith forward line.

Brown has stepped into the breach. Good on him. But this year just didn’t turn out.

I think the point re Begley has been missed.

Don't compare him to some ideal standard. Compare him to the game Brown has dished up every time the heat has been on.

It's hardly a compliment to say he could have been selected. If we favoured competitiveness we'd have selected him and even at his absolute worst would we have been any worse off?

I hate doing this, but the 3 pages before Thursday night are me and others arguing about this exact thing and Brown failing because, as I've said numerous times, no half competent side playing finals footy is going to let the guy float around getting cheap kicks.

He did not play a single game this year with both McKernan and Daniher also in the side, but if you are that determined to declare Brown as best 22 on the back of a couple of 26-man squad selections in the community series practice matches then go for your life.

Very brave to make any of the usual assumptions about pre-season given that way our season started.

Brown also displaced Stewart in the side last year.

Fact is he has played every game when fit for the last 2 years (including at the expense of developing Stewart). It's an assumption that he's not best 22 based on the understanding that he sucks.

Problem is Worsfold has an extensive track records when it comes to non-competitive players.

Last edited:
Was just doing a best 22 AFL & VFL sides. With the guys I would be looking to bring in, a move to CHB (albeit in the VFL) should be on the cards.

He shouldn't be getting a game in the AFL line up whilst the VFL side looks good on paper with him in the forward line, we still need to look to the future and that should be a Buzza/Frampton at FF with Stewart at CHF and Gown playing third fiddle.

Brown also displaced Stewart in the side last year

I think this is the one people forget. And at the time I was bemused at how he overtook Stewart in the pecking order.

Low grade calf strain, won't affect his off-season program (which probably means he should be ready for the start of pre-season.)
Hardworking forward Mitch Brown suffered a low-grade calf strain in the Bombers’ season-ending loss to the Eagles. It is not expected to greatly interrupt his off-season program.

Problem with Brown is he's really best suited as a hard running 3rd tall type player, asking him to be the 2nd target alongside a (very) inconsistent McKernan isn't really his go-to as it forces him in to contested marking situations.

I like Brown, his ability to play back or forward gives us good versatility in a game, and in a functional forwardline I can see him adding value, imagine him playing alongside a Daniher - McKernan pairing in the role Laverde was largely allowed to play.

He's been asked to play beyond his remit this year, and I think he's been servicable as the depth player he is.

Problem with Brown is he's really best suited as a hard running 3rd tall type player, asking him to be the 2nd target alongside a (very) inconsistent McKernan isn't really his go-to as it forces him in to contested marking situations.

I like Brown, his ability to play back or forward gives us good versatility in a game, and in a functional forwardline I can see him adding value, imagine him playing alongside a Daniher - McKernan pairing in the role Laverde was largely allowed to play.

He's been asked to play beyond his remit this year, and I think he's been servicable as the depth player he is.

Yep, agreed!

Ideally if the list is fit he plays CHB in the reserves next year. A fit and firing Daniher/McKernan combo should be the starting fwd's whilst Brown isn't fitting in ahead of Hooker/Hurley/Ambrose in defence. In the magoos we need to keep developing Gown whilst Stewart (if fit obviously) plays CHF for us. I would even be looking to bring in another young KPF which pushes Brown to CHB alongside a developing BZT.

He’s been serviceable enough over the years. Kicked 21.13 this season which is his best output. Would it be wise to give him a rookie contract for next season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back