Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Great get, we're off to a good start this off-season.

Get Papley as well and it's an A+ trade period and a sign that Carlton are finally back to being an attractive destination that good players want to join.

Great get, we're off to a good start this off-season.

Get Papley as well and it's an A+ trade period and a sign that Carlton are finally back to being an attractive destination that good players want to join.
How are you going to afford both, if Sydney won't settle for less than pick 8 and Gold Coast won't take a future pick?

Then wait until your second round and draft him. I don't think GCS going to draft/trade in better players than him with Brisbane first Rd pick. So why waste time send him to ND draft and see his true value.
When was the last time a team did this sort of thing? Luke Ball is the only one I can remember.

There is no animosity between GCS and Blues as far as I'm aware, we're more like friends since we've both been keeping each other company as cellar dwellers.

When was the last time a team did this sort of thing? Luke Ball is the only one I can remember.

There is no animosity between GCS and Blues as far as I'm aware, we're more like friends since we've both been keeping each other company as cellar dwellers.

I'm starting to believe that Peel67skin actually does work for the Suns list management.

All their posts eerily seem to reflect exactly how they have approached recent years trades and how (un)successful they have been retaining players and keeping their current list happy.

How are you going to afford both, if Sydney won't settle for less than pick 8 and Gold Coast won't take a future pick?

All sellers posture during any negotiation (i.e. starting high).

GC would know that Martin isn't worth pick #8 but will ask for it anyway to start and then settle for what he is really worth (early second) after a bit of dialogue.

Sydney are playing hard ball but have shown they are reasonable people to trade with. SOS is a pretty popular guy amongst the other clubs anyway (other than Young Reid!) so I think they're all happy to be helping each other out where possible.

Last edited:
All sellers posture during any negotiation (i.e. starting high).

GC would know that Martin isn't worth pick #8 but will ask for it anyway to start and then settle for what he is really worth (early second) after a bit of dialogue.
I'm sure the Gold Coast will come to the table, I'm just not sure they'll take a future second given their recent trading history. A trade involving a future first would probably still have to be in their favour. Some have suggested Brisbane's pick plus Martin for a future first but I don't see them accepting that. They need players now.

Sydney are playing hard ball but have shown they are reasonable people to trade with. SOS is a pretty popular guy amongst the other clubs anyway (other than Young Reid) so I think they're all happy to be helping each other out where possible.
They will be reasonable, I'm sure of that too. But what do you expect to be paying for Papley? I wouldn't think Sydney would accept less than pick 8 given he's contracted for three years.

I'm sure the Gold Coast will come to the table, I'm just not sure they'll take a future second given their recent trading history. A trade involving a future first would probably still have to be in their favour. Some have suggested Brisbane's pick plus Martin for a future first but I don't see them accepting that. They need players now.

They do have the ability to on-trade that future first/second round pick though.

They can use that as currency to attract ready made players. I suspect some clubs would project Carlton to finish within a certain section of the ladder in 2020 (i.e. 10-13 etc), so may find that to be an attractive pick for their stable.

What GC have to lost letting him go to ND draft, if you don't pick him at 8, GC just use Brisbane pick on him. GCS not going to use your second Rd pick and draft a nobody.
He doesn’t have to go to the ND, he can nominate for the pre season draft and the Blues take him at pick 3...
This deal gets done for a future second etc

They do have the ability to on-trade that future first/second round pick though.

They can use that as currency to attract ready made players. I suspect some clubs would project Carlton to finish within a certain section of the ladder in 2020 (i.e. 10-13 etc), so may find that to be an attractive pick for their stable.
This is true, but future picks are less valuable since their position is unknown, and as bad as this draft is rated, next year's is supposed to be weaker still. We'll see how it plays out, I just think neither Sydney or Gold Coast will be offering Carlton a discount.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will be reasonable, I'm sure of that too. But what do you expect to be paying for Papley? I wouldn't think Sydney would accept less than pick 8 given he's contracted for three years.
I think Pick 8 for Papley + 3rd round will be about right.

Martin we might be able to do for a future 2nd (given it could be a pick in the low 20s)

i'd say most would still have us in the bottom 3 (since we missed on Cogs), so really that's pick 21 in 2020, a very good pick indeed.

probably ask for their 3rd back

I think the Bulldogs could offer GCS a better draft pick ..

Does anyone one know what Bulldogs where offering Martin ??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No one actually knows. The most common "guesses" right now (since that's all any of these reports are) is that Carlton's final offer is $600-$650k, while the Dogs were a bit closer to the $700k mark. He supposedly said it wasn't a financial decision, which implies either the offers were very similar, or Carlton's was slightly lower than ours (i.e. he isn't going to Carlton for the money)

Personally i dont have a horse in this race but believe this deal is not going to be as easy as people think and could get drawn out until the last day and maybe not even get done and just a few things to keep in mind.

* Gold Coast does not want to continue to lose players specially good players that are chased by more than 1 club and in this case 3+ clubs

* Gold Coast will be looking to make a statement and get good value for their investment similar to what they did with Dion Prestia who was injured and played only 8 games in 2015 and 14 games in 2016. Prestia went for pick #6

* Gold Coast also has the option to send Martin into the draft up their sleeves with Carlton only holding pick #8 then next pick not until #39 so Martin will definitely be gone by pick 20 at the latest.

* PSD is also not an option as the GC hold the 1st pick

* If push comes to shove they could say to Martin to find another club as Carlton dont want to party

On the flip side

* Carlton would have a set trade value and may not want to pay more and if Papley does come then Martin is not really a must have player

Its going to be an interesting trade period and not sure if Tony Cochrane is still pulling the strings but if he is it will also be a very colourful period

* PSD is also not an option as the GC hold the 1st pick
Not that I think it will come to this and the clubs will make the more sensible decision, but do you seriously think GC would refuse to trade with Carlton out of spite and THEN pick him back up if he enters the PSD despite the fact he clearly wants to leave? They already have serious issues with player retention as it is, imagine how it would look if they deliberately re-drafted Martin after refusing to deal with his preferred club. Ridiculous notion IMO

Not that I think it will come to this and the clubs will make the more sensible decision, but do you seriously think GC would refuse to trade with Carlton out of spite and THEN pick him back up if he enters the PSD despite the fact he clearly wants to leave? They already have serious issues with player retention as it is, imagine how it would look if they deliberately re-drafted Martin after refusing to deal with his preferred club. Ridiculous notion IMO

Im not saying the refuse to trade him out of spite but more so they cant agree on a trade value such as Prestia pick #6 they wouldnt budge and Richmond ended up paying it at the end.

If GC suns say 1st rounder or say pick #10 and wont budge similar to the prestia deal then what does carlton do ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back