Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the Friday night game no time has been confirmed. Still a chance of a day match?

Fingers crossed it’s a day game. Hate the AFL’s push towards as many night games and finals as possible.

I much prefer night games
I used to be ambivalent but I think I’ve done an about face on it. Particularly as a product for showpiece events I think that day is the best slot for it. Don’t think the NRL gets close to building the anticipation the AFL do and I reckon part of it is you have to wait so damn long the day of the game. I love waking up and the first bounce being just six or seven hours away. Not to mention how amazing the G looks on days of good weather, bathed in natural light.

I used to be ambivalent but I think I’ve done an about face on it. Particularly as a product for showpiece events I think that day is the best slot for it. Don’t think the NRL gets close to building the anticipation the AFL do and I reckon part of it is you have to wait so damn long the day of the game. I love waking up and the first bounce being just six or seven hours away. Not to mention how amazing the G looks on days of good weather, bathed in natural light.
I prefer no sun in my eyes and just feel atmosphere is better at night

For the Prelim Final, I'm expecting Aish, Varcoe and Reid to come in for Greenwood, Brown and DeGoey. If we happen to win and then take that side into the GF, it makes an interesting comparison with our 2018 GF team. The differences are below:

2018 versus 2019
Langdon = Roughead
Goldsack < Moore
Cox < Reid
DeGoey = Elliott
Sier = Wills
Greenwood > Noble

Overall, I reckon the 2019 version is better, especially in the key defensive posts. If DeGoey happens to get back for the GF team (at expense of Varcoe?) then that tips it clearly in favour of the 2019 version. Looking good, I reckon.

For the Prelim Final, I'm expecting Aish, Varcoe and Reid to come in for Greenwood, Brown and DeGoey. If we happen to win and then take that side into the GF, it makes an interesting comparison with our 2018 GF team. The differences are below:

2018 versus 2019
Langdon = Roughead
Goldsack < Moore
Cox < Reid
DeGoey = Elliott
Sier = Wills
Greenwood > Noble

Overall, I reckon the 2019 version is better, especially in the key defensive posts. If DeGoey happens to get back for the GF team (at expense of Varcoe?) then that tips it clearly in favour of the 2019 version. Looking good, I reckon.
The 18 vs 19 comparison looks good, but nothing beats a team playing as a united team with some momentum.

Both gf teams last year took genuine momentum into the gf.
We need a good win in the prelim before we are anywhere near last year, regardless of who's picked.
Need to put a really good game together, rather than slug it out in a tackle-fest.

The 18 vs 19 comparison looks good, but nothing beats a team playing as a united team with some momentum.

Both gf teams last year took genuine momentum into the gf.
We need a good win in the prelim before we are anywhere near last year, regardless of who's picked.
Need to put a really good game together, rather than slug it out in a tackle-fest.
The slug was by design where the current no 1 and 2 defensive units went head to head.

Night games all the way.

They’ve been my preference for as long as I can remember. Atmosphere just feels so much better at night.

Night games all the way.

They’ve been my preference for as long as I can remember. Atmosphere just feels so much better at night.
I like night games too, they have a better feel than a day game. However, given that the GF is a day game, maybe a day/twilight PF will help us prepare better for a GF, uf we make it

I like night games too, they have a better feel than a day game. However, given that the GF is a day game, maybe a day/twilight PF will help us prepare better for a GF, uf we make it

And gives us an extra 6 hours to prepare for the Grand Final. Minimal, sure, but if we have a choice, I'd be asking for a 1:30pm Preliminary Final.

Seems bizarre they're waiting to announce the time.

Maybe it's an early game if Brisbane get through, or a late game is GWS get through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 versus 2019
Langdon = Roughead
Goldsack < Moore
Cox < Reid
DeGoey = Elliott
Sier = Wills
Greenwood > Noble

If you are going to compare 2018 to 2019 you need to take 2018 form into account as well.

2018 versus 2019
Langdon > Roughead
Goldsack <<< Moore
Cox > Reid
DeGoey = Elliott
Sier < Wills
Greenwood > Noble

Moore and Ellliot alone easily compensate for the players we have lost

Add to that Pendlebury Treloar and Howe all fully fit and in career best form compared to last September

The whole debate with Brown, Varcoe and/or Wells is that it if could choose a player to have :
12 disposals
2 tackles

Most/all posters would probably choose Wells to be that player.

100%

They're all low possession players so if you're picking 2 of the 3 then it's Wells for impact and x factor plus one of Varcoe/Brown as the high pressure, defensive small forward. We may only have room for 1 of them though.

Wells has shown he will rise or drop to whatever level of footy he's playing.

I do think if fit then Reid comes in for De Goey but if we go small then it opens up the Varcoe/Wells/Brown debate.

Greenwoods replacement will come from Aish or Schaz depending on who we come up against. Schaz will be vital against GWS.

We are sounding like Tiger supporters from last year. Some of my tiger mates purchased flights to Melbourne for the GF lol. Didn't someone once say, Preliminary Finals are the hardest games of the year or something like that? Lets worry about the Prelim

Whilst I agree that it’s wise to look just to the next game, do you seriously believe what people say on Bigfooty affects the outcome?

And gives us an extra 6 hours to prepare for the Grand Final. Minimal, sure, but if we have a choice, I'd be asking for a 1:30pm Preliminary Final.

Seems bizarre they're waiting to announce the time.

Maybe it's an early game if Brisbane get through, or a late game is GWS get through.
I wonder why though, it's only about a 45 min difference in flight time. Is that significant?

I wonder why though, it's only about a 45 min difference in flight time. Is that significant?
It’s the Sydney curfew at the airport.

It’s about 11pm or so.

If it’s GWS then they can’t return to Sydney if it’s a full night game.

Brisbane could as no curfew.

I think the AFL organises the (charter?) flights so it’s good to go for Brisbane even a bit later.
Not so GWS. If they all stayed over night in a hotel be no issue but the idea is they all get 1 week without losing the Saturday night.

Hence gWS v us is the likely earlier time slot (day game or twilight); Brisbane twilight or full night game from 7.30pm or so.

I'm not sure that's so much about fitness. Thomas, Treloar, and Phillips are all prone to it and that's more about application. Sidey another but his reading of the play minimises the times he's actually caught in those scenarios. I'd put Wells in the same boat as Sidey. Whether he's fit enough to run out a full game is still a big question though.

Wellsy does it from about 10 minutes into the first quarter about his first repeat effort though. Treloar does it in the third quarter, after about his 30th repeat effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back