List Mgmt. Welcome Pick 28 - Luke Partington

Remove this Banner Ad

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ballantyne (flog or not) and Krakouer makes it at least 2 - 0. And if you go back a couple of years further you get someone who went on to win a Brownlow.

Having said that it's not what it used to be.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL

The original poster started at 2012 to illustrate the crap league that is SA ..
All WA medalists from that 2012 period are hardly inspiring as well ..

I think the SA league is on a similar par to WA ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Always liked Parto and thought he was delisted a tad to soon, reckon he showed more at AFL level that Mutiner and played well at East Perth.
Was much maligned at East Perth.

So I was thrilled to see that the following occurred the last few weeks :

1. Luke gets an invite to The SA State Screening 2019.

2. Wins the Magarey Medal 2019.

3. Plays in Glenelg's 2019 Premiership Side today.

Terrific kid and I am sure he will get a second chance.

Pps forget that we drafted him in the year his father was tragically killed in a mining accident, thats a lot to have to handle plus moving away from home.

All the best Parto and I for one will be watching closely, fingers crossed that his name gets called out and he gets another chance to show that he is AFL worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Convocation

Premium Gold
Jun 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
So as it turns out he has talent, why couldn't WCE release that? Makes you think of all the talent that was on our list that was not developed to their potential.
Mark Stone the coach of Glenelg should be applauded for the work he has done with Luke and the rest of the Glenelg team. Mark helped build the likes of Fyfe and Neale at AFL level, and has shown he is more than just a stoppage coach. Wish we could have him back at the Eagles working with Vennebles, Sheed and co, but his not coming back to the AFL as just an assistant.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Mark Stone the coach of Glenelg should be applauded for the work he has done with Luke and the rest of the Glenelg team. Mark helped build the likes of Fyfe and Neale at AFL level, and has shown he is more than just a stoppage coach. Wish we could have him back at the Eagles working with Vennebles, Sheed and co, but his not coming back to the AFL as just an assistant.

I think I am starting to get an appreciation of the effect of great line coaches. I think Mitchell was a massive part of our flag in 2018, he lifted our midfield. We need that again.

So as it turns out he has talent, why couldn't WCE release that? Makes you think of all the talent that was on our list that was not developed to their potential.

Calm your farm

He had no trouble finding it in the WAFL also, doesn't mean he's going to make it in the AFL. Plenty have shone at the lower levels but don't have the game to go up a level.

Calm your farm

He had no trouble finding it in the WAFL also, doesn't mean he's going to make it in the AFL. Plenty have shone at the lower levels but don't have the game to go up a level.

And conversely many young players take time to find their way in the AFL system.

Dane Swan , Rampe , Laird and our own McGovern all took time .

Happens at all levels who would have thought at 20 years of age that Tim Kelly and Marlion Pickett would be producing the sort of football they are now on the AFL stage when they were running around playing South Fremantle Colts.

Some players are afforded more time in the system than others .
Eric Mackenzie for example looked bog average running around for Claremont in his first few seasons whilst on the Eagles list.
We stuck fat with Eric and it paid dividends.

Sometimes young players are in the wrong spot at the wrong time as far as when they are out of contract and when a Club needs to free up list spaces for an upcoming draft.
Case in point Partingtons form last year in the WAFL was far superior to Muttimers but Mutts was in contract Parto not so.

It a harsh and brutal industry that they are in .
The rules stipulate that a minimum of 54 list spots across the league must be freed up every year for new draftees.

Thank fu(k most of us are not employed in a workplace that is bound by such rigid rules , or some would have been given the flick from their jobs years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah that's great, but it's an early crow to dub it a development fail when Partington is still yet to do anything at AFL level.

If that changes feel free to quote me and tell me I'm wrong, but as it stands he's currently of a similar ilk to Kane Mitchell, Haiden Schloite, Jye Bolton, Mitch Grigg and Zane Kirkwood.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Ballantyne won his at 21 then went on to have a good career. Krakouer had already played 100 games for Richmond before he went Mean Machine and then played one good season with the Pies before he did his knee. The rest of those guys made no impact at AFL level.

Have to feel sorry for Schloithe. Wins the Sandover and his teammate runs second, then his teammate is drafted and plays every game for two years and is on track for a big money deal at 25. Meanwhile Schloithe has his papers stamped.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought Partington was good when he played for our AFL side, he just didn’t get much opportunity. Contrast him to Venables who has had one or two decent games but a lot of nothing games and stays in the side and wins a flag.
It’s funny how if a club thinks you have potential, that even if you don’t reach it you get a lot of chances, where as a good solid player doesn’t always get those same opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back