The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Im totally confused why most posters think Roo Chapman or anyone on the board have any great responsibility in the operation of the club, whether it be employment of staff or general running of the football dept

Just a question after reading the constitution as ad victoriam suggested, what do posters believe Roo Chapman or any board member gets paid and then work out how much time they actually do spend at the club apart from Board meetings and some one offs
U surprised at your confusion.

Go back and read all the Lynch re-signing threads, news articles and TV stories.

Pressure on the club, Contract goes to board, Lynch is a Crow once more

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
U surprised at your confusion.

Go back and read all the Lynch re-signing threads, news articles and TV stories.

Pressure on the club, Contract goes to board, Lynch is a Crow once more

IM a looking are you making that up, there aren't any media articles, maybe you can show me

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the past 10 years, revenue from 2 premiership windows.

So Roo and Chapman are employing birdman and a host of others spend hours on the club organising everything, which they are stuffing up

No wonder they stuff it up they don't get paid

OOh sorry they get to go in a corporate box, although Roo doesnt he is working for MMM every weekend

Conspiracy theory, maybe they stuff it up deliberately and have said we will take it seriously when you pay us?

Maybe those 7 other board members do everything they say because they dont take it seriously as they dont get paid either

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is not in response to any particular poster, just a random comment ;)

Catherine Brenner was Chair of the AMP board when AMP's dodgy dealings were exposed. I'm sure she was not alone on the board in making decisions (or non-decisions) during that period, she did not bully board members into voting with her all the time, against their better judgement.

She resigned.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is not in response to any particular poster, just a random comment ;)

Catherine Brenner was Chair of the AMP board when AMP's dodgy dealings were exposed. I'm sure she was not alone on the board in making decisions (or non-decisions) during that period, she did not bully board members into voting with her all the time, against their better judgement.

She resigned.

Wonder if she used to get paid

She was urged to resign

Last edited:

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK, I'll bite. :)

What difference does that make? A board Chair either takes responsibility for what happens on their watch, or they don't. Whether they are paid, or how much they are paid, has nothing to do with that, nothing at all.

If you were to have a frank and open with Rob Chapman, and ask him if he would feel obliged to resign if he had overseen a disastrous period for the AFC - well, he might or might not agree that he should resign, but I'm quite sure that if he said he wouldn't resign, "I don't get paid" would not be on his list of reasons.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK, I'll bite. :)

What difference does that make? A board Chair either takes responsibility for what happens on their watch, or they don't. Whether they are paid, or how much they are paid, has nothing to do with that, nothing at all.

If you were to have a frank and open with Rob Chapman, and ask him if he would feel obliged to resign if he had overseen a disastrous period for the AFC - well, he might or might not agree that he should resign, but I'm quite sure that if he said he wouldn't resign, "I don't get paid" would not be on his list of reasons.

Difference is I could bet you $1 million he wont be urged to resign like Catherine was

Do you really think the AFL who appointed Chappy, think the AFC are having a disastrous period

When we look at Port Adelaide Carlton Melbourne GC North Melbourne St Kilda when we look at both onfield and off at those clubs

Maybe the board stuffed up in appointing their CEO, should he go or the board or both?

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I understand how it works

If you are a submissive as a board member and don't listen to yourself you may aswell not even be there, If you have board members that follow the leader that is what you call a disfunctional board, if these board members are that dumb, that is where the problem lays, they are the first problem with the club and its board in having board members that follow everything they are told to do and not think for themselves.

Are you saying these board members should be sacked immediately as they aren't thinking for themselves or wait until their terms end and get rid of the lot and vote as they believe it should be not what they are told to do

I don't think you understand how a board works in general, but I also think you're assuming that a footy club board operates exactly the same as a corporate board - when they don't.

I understand how it works

If you are a submissive as a board member and don't listen to yourself you may aswell not even be there, If you have board members that follow the leader that is what you call a disfunctional board, if these board members are that dumb, that is where the problem lays, they are the first problem with the club and its board in having board members that follow everything they are told to do and not think for themselves.

Are you saying these board members should be sacked immediately as they aren't thinking for themselves or wait until their terms end and get rid of the lot and vote as they believe it should be not what they are told to do

10 years on the board, seeing off just about every other board member, gives you every opportunity to stack the board with people sympathetic/supportive to the Chairman.

Have you worked out what Roo, Jamo Chapman Ellis get in renumeration?

The same as almost every other AFL Board Member?

And the same as those who do it for the SANFL Clubs as well.

It is totally irrelevant - nobody is forcing them to do it; while they don't get monetary remuneration, they get a huge amount of fringe benefits out of it, as well as immense networking opportunities.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

She was urged to resign
Paid or not, they are not forced to do it.

If you don't want to do it - don't do it; you can't do it, * it up, and then explain it away as 'Well, I don't get paid.'

It is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Difference is I could bet you $1 million he wont be urged to resign like Catherine was

Do you really think the AFL who appointed Chappy, think the AFC are having a disastrous period

When we look at Port Adelaide Carlton Melbourne GC North Melbourne St Kilda when we look at both onfield and off at those clubs

Maybe the board stuffed up in appointing their CEO, should he go or the board or both?

Seriously mate, all you are doing is regurgitating the same irrelevancies over and over, not adding anything new or responding to those who have responded with counter-arguments, just repeating your "point" over and again.

I'll try to break it down / make it simple...

I am not going to argue that Chapman should resign - I think he should, but that's not the point here.

The point is: If it is argued that Chapman should resign, you may choose to mount a counter argument. However that counter argument does not, should not include:

1. He doesn't get paid (irrelevant).

2. The rest of the board votes, too, it's not a dictatorship
- Wrong, because of bucks and where they stop, as proven over and again in the history of boards and resigning chairs

3. The AFL doesn't think the AFC is a disaster
- Irrelevant, because the AFL does not dictate that a chair may not resign if that chair sees fit, and because the AFL's opinion of our state - whatever it may be - is not a sound basis for our club to make its own decisions

4. Other clubs are in poor shape, too
- So what?

As I said before - if you could get Chappy to mount a frank and open defence of his position in which he made the case as to why he should not resign, it is dollars to doughnuts that not one of the above (your) points would feature. Certainly not 1,2, and 4 - maybe, just maybe a little sliver of 3.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think you understand how a board works in general, but I also think you're assuming that a footy club board operates exactly the same as a corporate board - when they don't.

10 years on the board, seeing off just about every other board member, gives you every opportunity to stack the board with people sympathetic/supportive to the Chairman.

The same as almost every other AFL Board Member?

And the same as those who do it for the SANFL Clubs as well.

It is totally irrelevant - nobody is forcing them to do it; while they don't get monetary remuneration, they get a huge amount of fringe benefits out of it, as well as immense networking opportunities.
How does Chapman get all these appointments around him as you suggested

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seriously mate, all you are doing is regurgitating the same irrelevancies over and over, not adding anything new or responding to those who have responded with counter-arguments, just repeating your "point" over and again.

I'll try to break it down / make it simple...

I am not going to argue that Chapman should resign - I think he should, but that's not the point here.

The point is: If it is argued that Chapman should resign, you may choose to mount a counter argument. However that counter argument does not, should not include:

1. He doesn't get paid (irrelevant).

2. The rest of the board votes, too, it's not a dictatorship
- Wrong, because of bucks and where they stop, as proven over and again in the history of boards and resigning chairs

3. The AFL doesn't think the AFC is a disaster
- Irrelevant, because the AFL does not dictate that a chair may not resign if that chair sees fit, and because the AFL's opinion of our state - whatever it may be - is not a sound basis for our club to make its own decisions

4. Other clubs are in poor shape, too
- So what?

As I said before - if you could get Chappy to mount a frank and open defence of his position in which he made the case as to why he should not resign, it is dollars to doughnuts that not one of the above (your) points would feature. Certainly not 1,2, and 4 - maybe, just maybe a little sliver of 3.
Let's stop there the chairman has absolutely no say what So ever in how the rest of the board vote

There are 9 members all get one vote

As for influencing if the board are weak that will happen and they dont deserve to be board members

If you believe that then you are a wasting my time

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's stop there the chairman has absolutely no say what So ever in how the rest of the board vote

As for influencing if the board are weak that will happen and they dont deserve to be board members

No one is responsible.
everyone is equal.
lets all hold hands and vote again

I'm starting to think you must be related to Chapman as their is no other logical explanation for your repeated pathetic defence of his performance.

Back