Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeo is a dual All australian and dual best and fairest including in a premiership year. He was tagged in the Grand final last year. You’re letting your bias show.
Yep Yeo's a better more consistent, more rounded player. Doesnt change the fact that Kelly one games for Geelong last year, so much so that he was tagged ahead of Dangerfield.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast fans dont get trading. They want a player who's All Australian and a Brownlow favourite for about the same trade currency as Mitch Mcgovern was last year after an injury interrupted year. Not happening despite him not having a contract.
Its a simple equation. Tim wants to come home and that narrows the field to two. Tim wont go to a team that finished out of the eight, has no coach, no full forward, no ruckman and has just had two of the best mids in Australia bail amid rumours of serious player dissent. That leaves just WCE. If you go from that premise Geelongs bargaining power is greatly reduced and will get what we give them.

Last edited:
Its a simple equation. Tim wants to come home and that narrows the field to two. Tim wont go to a team that finished out of the eight, has no coach, no full forward, no ruckman and has just had two of the best mids in Australia bail amid rumours of serious player dissent. That leaves just WCE. If you go from that premise Geelongs bargaining power is greatly reduced and will get what we give them.
Look, most Freo fans expect him to go to WC but to say we have no full forward or ruckman is blatantly false. I imagine we’ll also have a coach by the time the trade gets done...

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol

You clearly don’t understand football. Do you just watch West Coast games?

But the way, no such things as full forward any more.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Herald Sun reporting today that Eagles could effectively get the deal done with our first 3 picks this year. That would be pick 14, 22 and 32. Their view that 22 and 32 would get you pick 9 (for either Eagles or Geelong to broker a deal) meaning Tim goes for 14 and 9’ish.

So the gist of the write up is what they as “independent analysts” think is around the mark.

I expect a whole bunch of negativity in response like usual, but this is a view from a non-invested group so please keep your knickers on and don’t let the petticoats self ignite.

Seems reasonable.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't see 22 and 32 getting 9. Especially in a shallow draft.

Would only happen for a specific academy type scenario.

14 and 9 would be paying a premium. Although if this year is supposedly a weaker draft, I can see us being more willing to pony up.

Anyone who is loling at us drafting Brander and Allen won't laughing in 5 years, put it that way :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The old LOL argument, geez you must be right. So let me get this right your point is that Kelly is not as good as three of the best players in the comp. Thanks genius. I agree he's not as good as Dangerfield, Fyfe and Martin. Doent mean he's not a good player with way more trade value than clueless west cost supporters keep stating.

No the point I was making was Yeo is more valuable than Kelly because Yeo can and does go head to head with the big guns like Dangerfield, Martin and Fyfe and can hold his own. Kelly ins't in that class.

Therefore hypothetically the trade value for Kelly isn't at the same level as that of Yeo being a dual AA, dual B&F, premiership player AND capable of taking on the big guns.

If you don't see that well that 'clueless tag' is on you buddy!

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Herald Sun reporting today that Eagles could effectively get the deal done with our first 3 picks this year. That would be pick 14, 22 and 32. Their view that 22 and 32 would get you pick 9 (for either Eagles or Geelong to broker a deal) meaning Tim goes for 14 and 9’ish.

So the gist of the write up is what they as “independent analysts” think is around the mark.

I expect a whole bunch of negativity in response like usual, but this is a view from a non-invested group so please keep your knickers on and don’t let the petticoats self ignite.

Seems reasonable.

Eagles traded pick 6 to Pies for 11 and 32ish. We landed Sheed with 11 .....happy days!:)

Just a bit of a historic benchmark.

If we coughed up 14 + 22 + 32 geez thats an entire draft really.

Id would be only slightly grumpy paying 14 + 32 + 2020 2nd.

At lease we would still have one decent pick to use this draft.

At 25/26 is Kelly worth three picks in the first two rounds?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep Yeo's a better more consistent, more rounded player. Doesnt change the fact that Kelly one games for Geelong last year, so much so that he was tagged ahead of Dangerfield.

Clubs tag players who can be tagged. Dangerfield is a tough player to tag. A times it is a better outcome to tag the 2nd most dangerous mid and take them out of the game then try and fail to stop a beast like Dangerfield.

I expect this Friday for Hutchings to tag Kelly and Yeo to go head to head v Dangerfield. Yeo has the size and speed to go with him and he can get the ball himself plus defend. Dangerfield IMO who blow Hutchings away he's too good for Hutch.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
No the point I was making was Yeo is more valuable than Kelly because Yeo can and does go head to head with the big guns like Dangerfield, Martin and Fyfe and can hold his own. Kelly ins't in that class.

Therefore hypothetically the trade value for Kelly isn't at the same level as that of Yeo being a dual AA, dual B&F, premiership player AND capable of taking on the big guns.

If you don't see that well that 'clueless tag' is on you buddy!

Following the logic through Priddis >>> Gaff > Shuey > Yeo.

If it's a do or die final with a quarter to play you want Priddis and Gaff in the middle, not Shuey and Yeo.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I hope Tim Kelly and his situation doesn't prevent Vic Clubs from picking up mature age WAFL players from the draft.. I know his is a unique case with special needs children that would be happier/better off back in WA with family, but geez, i hope there is no unintended knock on effect for future potential draftees.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I can't see 22 and 32 getting 9. Especially in a shallow draft.
The article said about NGA teams.

Not sure who you have heard about it being a shallow draft. Shallow would mean a drop off after the second round. My reading of the draft this year is that it is even and deep through to third round. What it is missing is KPF in the first round and seriously good top 6. There will be loads of very good options through to 30 and loads of good options through to 50.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles traded pick 6 to Pies for 11 and 32ish. We landed Sheed with 11 .....happy days!:)

Just a bit of a historic benchmark.

If we coughed up 14 + 22 + 32 geez thats an entire draft really.

Id would be only slightly grumpy paying 14 + 32 + 2020 2nd.

At lease we would still have one decent pick to use this draft.

At 25/26 is Kelly worth three picks in the first two rounds?

Eh we would be fine with 14+22 as a base is 32 so critical? I don't really see any target we are aiming for. Add to that we are having problems finding delist targets already to make the list space. We delist Mutimer then MAllen? After that?

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Not sure who you have heard about it being a shallow draft. Shallow would mean a drop off after the second round. My reading of the draft this year is that it is even and deep through to third round. What it is missing is KPF in the first round and seriously good top 6. There will be loads of very good options through to 30 and loads of good options through to 50.
You could probably throw a blanket over the whole first round with the exception of the top two. And that top 2 would probably be the only ones to get into last years first round.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I hope Tim Kelly and his situation doesn't prevent Vic Clubs from picking up mature age WAFL players from the draft.. I know his is a unique case with special needs children that would be happier/better off back in WA with family, but geez, i hope there is no unintended knock on effect for future potential draftees.

Teams do their due diligence before selecting players. "Would you come here if we picked you, Yes/No"
Kelly stuck to his contract. And will likely move back home now that he's served his 2 years.

Love it or hate it, that's the system.

Teams outside of Victoria are already biased to picking the next best player from their own state rather than someone interstate for this reason. Even if the player interstate is better.

It's nice to occasionally see it go the other way.

None of that reduces Geelongsbargaining power at all. There is only one thing that does.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I’d be fine with giving up our first three picks.

First 3 picks is massive massive overs.

But on face value we appear set for the next year or two anyway Eagles nay not value those picks as highly as others.

Trading 3 picks for a player who'll be immediately in the best 22 (and make a strong positive impact to our best 22) is probably still worth the 3 picks in my opinion.

There is a big swell of our A-graders around the 27-28yr old mark (Gaff/Darkling/Cripps/McGovern/Vardy/Hutchings/Sheppard/Hickey/Redden). Shuey/NicNat are 29.

So this is probably the last year I would be ok with selling our of the draft for 1 player.

If there's any hint of Gaff going though I'd rather hit the draft tbh.

Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah but in fairness to TK and Geelong, I think the kids weren't diagnosed until they were in Geelong so they couldn't have foreseen this situation to occur.
I belive TK would have asked for a trade this year. However, the kids conditions obviously brought that forward to last year

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast

I'm far from an expert on the draft, quite frankly it doesn't interest me at all.

The comment was based on what I have seen on here, it wasn't really an informed opinion on the draft, just a what if scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back