Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the Sydney curfew at the airport.

It’s about 11pm or so.

If it’s GWS then they can’t return to Sydney if it’s a full night game.

Brisbane could as no curfew.

I think the AFL organises the (charter?) flights so it’s good to go for Brisbane even a bit later.
Not so GWS. If they all stayed over night in a hotel be no issue but the idea is they all get 1 week without losing the Saturday night.

Hence gWS v us is the likely earlier time slot (day game or twilight); Brisbane twilight or full night game from 7.30pm or so.
Think it is almost impossible that the 2nd prelim is at night. IIRC there hasn't been one since 2010.

And gives us an extra 6 hours to prepare for the Grand Final. Minimal, sure, but if we have a choice, I'd be asking for a 1:30pm Preliminary Final.

Seems bizarre they're waiting to announce the time.

Maybe it's an early game if Brisbane get through, or a late game is GWS get through.

The combination of all the factors make it pretty significant in my opinion. 6 hours extra prep when you are already behind the opposition prep by 18 hours, playing in the same conditions as what the Grand Final will be (potentially weather aside) and then allowing players to stay in a complete normal bodyclock routine. Night games would have players getting into bed after 1am I'd suspect, afternoon has them able to go about things as per normal straight away.

I think it adds up.

The combination of all the factors make it pretty significant in my opinion. 6 hours extra prep when you are already behind the opposition prep by 18 hours, playing in the same conditions as what the Grand Final will be (potentially weather aside) and then allowing players to stay in a complete normal bodyclock routine. Night games would have players getting into bed after 1am I'd suspect, afternoon has them able to go about things as per normal straight away.

I think it adds up.

The last 3 premiers have all played the Saturday game and all been 4:40pm AEST games.

I think the health of your group overrides which side has a longer break to the GF.

The last 3 premiers have all played the Saturday game and all been 4:40pm AEST games.

I think the health of your group overrides which side has a longer break to the GF.

Pretty sure WCE's game last year would've been 2:40pm local time, with no need to travel home afterwards. I can handle it being a twighlight fixture, but a night game would be a huge disadvantage.

Pretty sure WCE's game last year would've been 2:40pm local time, with no need to travel home afterwards. I can handle it being a twighlight fixture, but a night game would be a huge disadvantage.
Jen posted training had been moved to 5pm - I take that as a pointer to a twilight game.
Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Wellsy does it from about 10 minutes into the first quarter about his first repeat effort though. Treloar does it in the third quarter, after about his 30th repeat effort

I do love it when people take poetic licence to make their point. Wells played about 40% game time before he had his knee injury incident up in Sydney and looked to be covering the ground pretty bloody well to that point.

Think it is almost impossible that the 2nd prelim is at night. IIRC there hasn't been one since 2010.
I think you’re right actually.

Any time there’s an MCG Prelim on Saturday it’s been twilight except as you noted 2010 but that was two local teams. (I actually went to both prelims that year).

As were playing an interstate side will be day time game or twilight at latest.

I do love it when people take poetic licence to make their point. Wells played about 40% game time before he had his knee injury incident up in Sydney and looked to be covering the ground pretty bloody well to that point.
Some have a bit of a set against certain players. Seeps through.

If he’s good enough, able enough, Wells will get a call up, if a bridge to far, he won’t.

It’s the Sydney curfew at the airport.

It’s about 11pm or so.

If it’s GWS then they can’t return to Sydney if it’s a full night game.

Brisbane could as no curfew.

I think the AFL organises the (charter?) flights so it’s good to go for Brisbane even a bit later.
Not so GWS. If they all stayed over night in a hotel be no issue but the idea is they all get 1 week without losing the Saturday night.

Hence gWS v us is the likely earlier time slot (day game or twilight); Brisbane twilight or full night game from 7.30pm or so.
Got it. Thanks for the lengthy explanation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Lynch?
Grundy needs a rest.
This weekend Grundy Rests.

Then the Giant wakes from his slumber and plays 8 magnificent beastly quaters.

This weekend Grundy Rests.

Then the Giant wakes from his slumber and plays 8 magnificent beastly quaters.
We do need to get him some help though, we would be royally screwed if he went down. He needs some sort of a chop out where we aren't throwing away our on ball presence just to give him the rest he needs.

Needs to be a priority in the off season.

We do need to get him some help though, we would be royally screwed if he went down. He needs some sort of a chop out where we aren't throwing away our on ball presence just to give him the rest he needs.

Needs to be a priority in the off season.
What about a big boy named Cox?

Only 8 days till team announced.

10 days till game day.

Looks like Greenwood and De Goey obviously and maybe another omission.

The two in I think will be joining our side are:

Scharenberg and Reid.

Varcoe possible as well.

I’d suggest the 4 emergencies will end up being:

Varcoe, Madgen, Aish, Crocker.

Explains why you put Sidebottom and Wells in the same category when we were talking about fitness then.

Depending on the opponent will dictate the changes I guess.

I am hesitant to make too many changes to our back 6. Let’s keep Roughead and Moore as our two KPD spots - not move either forward. Howe, Maynard and Crisp the other locks. The interesting part is who comes in for Greenwood?

If we play Brisbane I would look at Aish and if we play GWS I would look at Sharenberg.

Think our forward line works better with another tall target to support Mihochek. Reid comes in if fit.

That’s two forced changes. The other change I would make would be to bring in Varcoe and the omission would be either Noble or Brown for mine.

Changes vs Brisbane
INS: Reid, Aish, Varcoe
OUTS: DeGoey, Greenwood, Noble/Brown

Changes vs GWS
INS: Reid, Sharenberg, Varcoe
OUTS: DeGoey, Greenwood, Noble/Brown

Line up:

B - Howe Roughead Sharenberg/Aish
HB - Maynard Moore Crisp
C - Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF - WHE Mihochek Varcoe
F - Elliott Reid Stephenson