Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

sounda

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
LOL last 7 games at the G ?? How many games did your team play at home where the opposition only play there once every 2 years ? No compare that to Richmond playing home games at the G against teams that also call that ground home- And you blokes talk about an advantage ?

As far as i know each team plays the same amount of home games and playing last 7 means the start of the year was putrid

Seriously ... where do you live?

Richmond played 13 H&A games at the G this year - just because you're not listed as the home team in 2 games of those games at the G - that doesn't change the fact of the location. o_O

In 2018 Richmond played 14 H&A games at the G!

WCE played 11 H&A games at Optus games at Optus in 2018 and 2019 - fact!

This is why I said some Vic club supporters are something else when it comes to balance - you just walk straight past the facts and imagine that you are correct in your mistaken beliefs.

It is what it is but you should acknowledge the facts - at least.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I can see this potentially happening.
It isn’t great for your guys to be playing against a side who are getting smashed by the media and have backs to the wall.

If we can’t win in this situation I’ll be fuming and you’ll have done well.

its a final. If it takes being smashed in the media to get up for it there's some serious problems

Richmond played 13 H&A games at the G this year - just because you're not listed as the home team in 2 games of those games at the G - that doesn't change the fact of the location. o_O

This is why I said some Vic club supporters are something else when it comes to balance - you just walk straight past the facts and imagine that you are correct in your mistaken beliefs.

West Coast played 12 games at Optus, 10 of which are truly home games where you have an obvious advantage

Richmond played 13 MCG games, 5 of which were against non-tenants.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for Richmond here but interstate teams have better H&A advantages then Victorian clubs just by virtue of how many 'true' home games they get each year. The advantage is deserved though as they have to leave the state more.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
West Coast played 12 games at Optus, 10 of which are truly home games where you have an obvious advantage

Richmond played 13 MCG games, 5 of which were against non-tenants.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for Richmond here but interstate teams have better H&A advantages then Victorian clubs just by virtue of how many 'true' home games they get each year. The advantage is deserved though as they have to leave the state more.

Thanks mate but i have come to realise after 12 years on this site that its not only the time that is behind out west and it just takes that little bit longer for the WA supporters specially the eagles supporters to catchup and understand things.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
1-4 against the top 4 teams is very telling for West Coast this year.

Just haven't stood up when needed and I fear the same will happen again.
Hopefully we don't get blown away and put up a fight, but either way whoever wins will get spanked by Richmond the next week.

Telling, but also reflective of the AFL fixture.

1 Geelong -58 @ KP
2 Brisbane -44 @ Gabba
3 Richmond -6 @ MCG
4 Collingwood -1 @ Optus, +22 @ MCG
5 us on 15 wins

Compare that to last year:

1 Richmond +47 @ Optus
2 us on 16 wins
3 Collingwood +35 @ MCG
4 Hawthorn +15 @ Docklands (a weaker 4th team than this year but they didn't want to play us at Docklands)

8 Geelong +15 @ Optus

It's embarrassing that despite being able to win (almost) anywhere that we still just don't turn up at KP and the SCG. 6 moderate to heavy losses on the bounce at KP since 2006, 9 in a row since 1999 at the SCG. Sydney were 3-8 and still managed to beat us by 7 goals. FFS.

The 18 teams / 22 games fixture makes a huge difference. Richmond, Geelong and Brisbane (who weren't strong last year) all away only is a tough run. We had our chances and blew our chance to finish top 4, but if you reversed that so all 3 match ups were at Optus only I doubt we would have gone 0-3.

IMO it's a real shame that we'll never see a proper H&A season. Last year we pumped Richmond in Rd 9 with our tails up at home. They finished top on 18 wins and us second on 16. That was it for the two best performed sides in the H&A season meeting for the year. No return fixture later in the year, and as it panned out no finals meeting. WC and Richmond met once in 2017, once in 2018 and once in 2019. Quirks.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Fallout after this game will be interesting.

One of the reigning premier and the minor premier will be out in the second week. I feel that the Vic media will be harsher on Geelong if they are the loser given they are the home side, finished top, it will be straight sets and much has already been made of their finals record over the past few years but I don't think we will get off lightly just because we finished 5th and have to travel. We played some excellent footy at times this year and were good enough to finish top 4 - but didn't. If we go out this week it will be a wasted season and there's no guarantee we'll just turn up and be a 15/16+ win side again next year off the bat.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What shorts will geelong wear?
Will they go navy forcing west coast to wear white, introducing white to their uniform when it doesnt need to be introduced?
Geelong is the home team. Home teams wears the normal kit.

WCE need a clash strip that doesn't clash with us, just as every other team does.

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geelong will not lose 2 in a row. All this talk about WC smashing them is irritating.
Every year we overrate the EF winner and underrate the QF loser. They finished on top...1st! They know how to win especially when expectations arent on them.
Cats will bounce back just like they did in 2017 against the swans when everyone wrote them off.
Cats by 22pts in front of 52,000.

This isn’t your usual EF team. Premiers last year and should’ve been top 4.

Please do tell us where we are meant to play the other MCG tenants when it is their home game?

I would love to hear this....

Why should they have been top 4 given the home and away season is 23 rounds in length?

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Agree WC were good enough for top 4 & are the reigning premiers however they have to travel, their form hasn't been that flash & it was only 2 games ago that they got pumped at home by a bottom 8 side.
I'm not buying into their EF win against a depleted Essendon outfit.
All the pressure is on Geelong & Scott. They will be furious & hungry. We will see a different Geelong side run out of Friday night you'll see.
Im honestly predicting Geelong comfortably by just under 4 goals.

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Why should they have been top 4 given the home and away season is 23 rounds in length?
Rubbish up and down start to season due to fitness due to late preseason start.Injurys,poor umpiring decissions ,Naitanuis dreadlock injury,conspiracy of evil v Collingwood with five players unable to run out the game due to first quarter injurys sustained one point loss which was unexpected and threw pacing for top four finish out.Only one win between first and fifth on ladder .
Can step up and beat top four teams when required.Anyway living in the past and saying what coulda shouda happened is not an Eagles thing.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

WCE need a clash strip that doesn't clash with us, just as every other team does.

Geelong and West Coast uniforms don't clash.

Earlier this year it was Geelong navy shorts, WC white.
Last year (Perth) it was Geelong white shorts, WC navy.
1994 GF, Geelong wore navy shorts and WC white.
1994 GF, Geelong wore navy shorts and WC white.
2011 PF, Geelong wore white shorts and WC royal blue - why this happened I don't know.

WC are required to have a clash jumper, not clash shorts. Geelong I would expect to wear navy shorts as that is their their home uniform. Whether we wear a royal blue with gold or gold with royal blue jumper makes no difference, both contrast strongly with the Geelong colours. It's up to the AFL whether they instruct us to wear white shorts as the away side. Logic says the game will look better if we don't, but it's the AFL's call. We wore them away against Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood this year because "away side wears white shorts".

Should we start with the fact only Collingwood from the top 4 had to come to Perth?

And then work our way back from there.
Really? You're going to use the fixture as an excuse.

Surely not.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone know which end of the MCG WC (away) team will be sitting?

Purrfect pussy

AFLPA MVP
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Should we start with the fact only Collingwood from the top 4 had to come to Perth?

And then work our way back from there.
And who won that game?

You were in the top 4 until you lost to hawthorn, where was that played?

To blame the fixture as to why you finished 5th sounds like something Chris Scott would do. Don’t worry though I still think you’ll end up being top 4 after this week anyway

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

But normal kit for Geelong is sometimes white shorts, sometimes blue shorts. White shorts would make sense this week but if the club wants to make some point about home grounds again by wearing blue shorts then they can knock themselves out.

Back