Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, they only need to get him right for 1 game. That's all. He is a match-winner, so even if used conservatively, he would be a huge asset if he kicked a crunch goal at a crucial time.

If we can get him fit enough to play 65% match-time, purely as a forward...and he also draws one of the best defenders...then it's a huge win for guys like Elliott and Stephenson.

I agree that we wouldn't be sending him over right now if we didn't think it was a chance.

I don't subscribe to the notion that we play a half fit player whoever he is, in the biggest game of the season. It can backfire spectacularly. I'd like to back what we have done these two years and back the fit replacements to get the job done. Why change the mantra now?

Remember the underdone Dusty in the Prelim last year? Unless De Goey is 100% ready to go, I wouldn't want the team to play him.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Listenning to Buckley on SEN I was reminded of his references to Moore last year. He's overwhelmingly likely to miss the GF. He said it is a Hail Mary because he meant it. He said it's worth the punt because that is what it is. Greenwood is replaceable. De Goey is not. It's going to be measurably harder without him but that's how it is unfortunately.
I'm sure you read it that way mark but then again that's how you roll.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is a Hail Mary as sometimes (especially at Collingwood) bodies don’t heal as expected.

However, if there was no chance of Jordan being “healed”, he wouldn’t be in Germany right now.

If it was a 4 week injury, why would they even suggest Germany and put it into the media etc and give people hope?

It's a long shot, almost no shot at all, but it's a chance worth taking. I've discounted the chance of seeing JDG again this year, but I can't deny that I'd feel be comforted to even see him hobbling out there on GF day with a plank of wood strapped to his leg.

Please Healing Hans, you're my only hope...

Let's hope that healing Hans is not too overwhelmed by Jordy's awesomeness. We want him focused on a miracle cure, not turning into a fanboy.

JDG's hamstrings are 20 times stronger than a normal person's but they have to handle acceleration and deceleration forces that are superhuman.

I'd be interested to learn what Germany's birth rate will be in 9 months time.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Is Dr. Death legit?

He kinda sounded like a kook on radio but I remember hearing about him years and years ago.

Dude claimed he’s have De Goey fixed immediately. Kinda surprised Collingwood haven’t had a look at him. I know he’s seen plenty of AFL Players.

Like, if this guy believes he’d have De Goey ready for the Prelim, I’m not sure why we wouldn’t send him there. Can’t hurt.

Last edited:

vicpark36

Draftee
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is Dr. Death legit?

He kinda sounded like a kook on radio but I remember hearing about him years and years ago.

Dude claimed he’s have De Goey fixed immediately. Kinda surprised Collingwood haven’t had a look at him. I know he’s seen plenty of AFL Players.

Like, if this guy believes he’d have De Goey ready for the Prelim, I’m not sure why we wouldn’t send him there. Can’t hurt.

Buckley on SEN yesterday

“The challenge now is to see whether we can get rid of that bleeding and send it to a guy who is one of probably thousands of blokes that reckon they can fix it.

“That’s the industry we’re in. There’s probably some blokes in country Victoria saying why are you sending the bloke to Germany, I can fix him.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Buckley on SEN yesterday

“The challenge now is to see whether we can get rid of that bleeding and send it to a guy who is one of probably thousands of blokes that reckon they can fix it.

“That’s the industry we’re in. There’s probably some blokes in country Victoria saying why are you sending the bloke to Germany, I can fix him.

Ah ok so maybe he is a kook after all

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wolf obviously thinks he's a chance, and not being a doctor myself or having seen the scans I will take solace in that compared to whatever your credentials are, which I don't think you have any expertise or evidence so I'll go with the Wolf thinks he can get JDG back before the GF.

Sorry mate, some seem to think I overreacted to this comment. I guess the “you don’t have any expertise” comment seemed a bit personal.

As it is, expertise or not, I reckon DeGoey is. No chance. Sadly.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is a Hail Mary as sometimes (especially at Collingwood) bodies don’t heal as expected.

However, if there was no chance of Jordan being “healed”, he wouldn’t be in Germany right now.

If it was a 4 week injury, why would they even suggest Germany and put it into the media etc and give people hope?
Germany would be a good idea regardless because De Goey has 10 years left to play and getting his rehab right would still be a priority regardless of the looming GF. In any case, why not take the punt.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Germany would be a good idea regardless because De Goey has 10 years left to play and getting his rehab right would still be a priority regardless of the looming GF. In any case, why not take the punt.

Return business class flights to Munich for multiple people (Jordy would not have gone alone and would likely be accompanied by at least one football department person and one club medic), peak season accommodation, consultation with a world leading doctor, possible surgical costs which are probably cutting edge treatments (i.e. expensive), living expenses for all who are going, transportation costs, etc.

This is probably a $120,000 exercise and the decision was made in a hurry.

If there was no "this year" to the decision, it would not have been made so hastily. It would have been made over a period of time after consultations with local practitioners in conjunction with Wool Fart and the board would have needed to sanction the exercise after being properly presented to with a well compiled body of information based on the investigations that had been made. The report would include a cost estimate and detailed treatment plan provided by Wolf Heart, based on his analysis of Jordy's injuries and treatment history, which he could not have had time to do between the scan results becoming available on Saturday and Jordy flying out on Sunday (Monday?) morning.

This is how big businesses make decisions. They do not go "get Jordy to Germany asap, where's the cash broseph?!!!! I've got no medical reports but feck proper process in the arse!"

The club is obviously optimistic about Jordy's chances and they think Wolfie can add something.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m a bit confused - Bucks on SEN said there was a bleed. Do both tears and strains bleed?
Read in the paper it was a strain and not a tear - therefore not as serious.
So why is a strain a Hail Mary?
A tear I can understand would be.

Over to the Medicos - can you please clarify?

A strain is to a tear as a fracture is to a break... well, as I understand it anyway.

EDIT: What everyone else said.

Last edited:

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
DeGoey seemed to be moving very freely when mingling with team-mates after the game and when attempting to escape being interviewed by Roving Brian. It was also noticeable and surprising that he didn't have any ice packs strapped to his leg. Contrast that with Moore, who is routinely iced-up, even when he hasn't torn anything. Those things make me think that its very much at the low-grade end of the spectrum and that he's a decent chance to get up for the GF. They'll have staff attending to him around the clock between now and then to give him the best possible chance.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Return business class flights to Munich for multiple people (Jordy would not have gone alone and would likely be accompanied by at least one football department person and one club medic), peak season accommodation, consultation with a world leading doctor, possible surgical costs which are probably cutting edge treatments (i.e. expensive), living expenses for all who are going, transportation costs, etc.

This is probably a $120,000 exercise and the decision was made in a hurry.

If there was no "this year" to the decision, it would not have been made so hastily. It would have been made over a period of time after consultations with local practitioners in conjunction with Wool Fart and the board would have needed to sanction the exercise after being properly presented to with a well compiled body of information based on the investigations that had been made. The report would include a cost estimate and detailed treatment plan provided by Wolf Heart, based on his analysis of Jordy's injuries and treatment history, which he could not have had time to do between the scan results becoming available on Saturday and Jordy flying out on Sunday (Monday?) morning.

This is how big businesses make decisions. They do not go "get Jordy to Germany asap, where's the cash broseph?!!!! I've got no medical reports but feck proper process in the arse!"

The club is obviously optimistic about Jordy's chances and they think Wolfie can add something.
The very least of my concerns would be the cost. If it's $120k, it's s drop in the ocean compared to what we could and should spend on player recovery and management. I don't know if it's included in the soft cap or not but even if it is and we go over I'll happily pay the "tax". The point of making money as football club is to win premierships. We aren't in financials peril.

Buckley clearly said it's a Hail Mary and De Goey was unlikely to play in the GF but they wanted to take the punt. I could not be in more heated agreement with the club.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry mate, some seem to think I overreacted to this comment. I guess the “you don’t have any expertise” comment seemed a bit personal.

As it is, expertise or not, I reckon DeGoey is. No chance. Sadly.

No worries at all. You're entitled to your view, just as I'm entitled to call you out for your lack of expertise and inside knowledge of the injury for you to be making absolute claims when there's strong evidence to dispute your claim. In fact your absolute claim is illogical.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The very least of my concerns would be the cost. If it's $120k, it's s drop in the ocean compared to what we could and should spend on player recovery and management. I don't know if it's included in the soft cap or not but even if it is and we go over I'll happily pay the "tax". The point of making money as football club is to win premierships. We aren't in financials peril.

Buckley clearly said it's a Hail Mary and De Goey was unlikely to play in the GF but they wanted to take the punt. I could not be in more heated agreement with the club.

I agree too, but I don't agree that it's no more than a hail mary that he plays. I think he's more likely than not.

Like you, I also don't care about the $120k. That doesn't matter though, because I guarantee you that the club does.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No worries at all. You're entitled to your view, just as I'm entitled to call you out for your lack of expertise and inside knowledge of the injury for you to be making absolute claims when there's strong evidence to dispute your claim. In fact your absolute claim is illogical.

My point was that Bucks said it was a hail mary and that you'd have to be insane to think he'd get back. So if you'd prefer, he's 99% chance not to make it back.

But give me the evidence, short of him going to Germany?

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
My point was that Bucks said it was a hail mary and that you'd have to be insane to think he'd get back. So if you'd prefer, he's 99% chance not to make it back.

But give me the evidence, short of him going to Germany?
Sheesh this one will go around and around in circles. The evidence has been well articulated by BTC in the last couple of pages of this thread. If that's not enough for you then we will have to agree to disagree.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's hope that healing Hans is not too overwhelmed by Jordy's awesomeness. We want him focused on a miracle cure, not turning into a fanboy.

JDG's hamstrings are 20 times stronger than a normal person's but they have to handle acceleration and deceleration forces that are superhuman.

I'd be interested to learn what Germany's birth rate will be in 9 months time.
Is that after the Super goo gets loose

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree too, but I don't agree that it's no more than a hail mary that he plays. I think he's more likely than not.

Like you, I also don't care about the $120k. That doesn't matter though, because I guarantee you that the club does.

The $120k is a tad excessive. Return business class flights to Berlin on our sponsor airline are about $14k (at the expensive end of the spectrum and assuming they don't look after us). JDG is the only person potentially travelling who merits the business class expense so economy flights for any other travelers would be no more than $2-2.5k. Apparently he's going to be there a few days so motel accommodation for a week would be around $2-3 grand per person, add $1k a day for collective meals and incidentals for 2-3 people and you're into the $30-40k range.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is Dr. Death legit?

Unless he kills him.

The $120k is a tad excessive. Return business class flights to Berlin on our sponsor airline are about $14k (at the expensive end of the spectrum and assuming they don't look after us). JDG is the only person potentially travelling who merits the business class expense so economy flights for any other travelers would be no more than $2-2.5k. Apparently he's going to be there a few days so motel accommodation for a week would be around $2-3 grand per person, add $1k a day for collective meals and incidentals for 2-3 people and you're into the $30-40k range.

You've overlooked the biggest expense, beer. That would get us close to the original figure.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You've overlooked the biggest expense, beer. That would get us close to the original figure.

You're right, beer and entertaining wild beer hall maidens could completely blow the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back