Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they were missing a 5xAA, a 3xAA - 3x Coleman Medallist, A Brownlow Medallist - AFLCA award & AA.....and Josh Caddy. Not really comparable is it?

It never is on the J[an]ustification Tour™.

So they were missing a 5xAA, a 3xAA - 3x Coleman Medallist, A Brownlow Medallist - AFLCA award & AA.....and Josh Caddy. Not really comparable is it?
Beat me to it. I wonder if their star signs come into play to explain how all the individual and team achievements these players have over the players Port missed is actually irrelevant

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m not comparing their individual accolades or performance, but their value to their team. And it’s because of those accolades that the media thought they would struggle.

Are we a better team with the players we were missing in the side, fit and in form? Would we have won more games with them and played finals?

The answer is yes.

Richmond had two premiership defenders in Grimes and Vlaustin to fall back on when Rance got injured. Who did we bring in for Watts and Jonas? Two players under 50 games in Howard and Lienert.

Grimes was AA this year by the way. What does that tell you about him and his quality?

They had a star in Tom Lynch to cover for Riewoldt. Who did we have to cover for Dixon? Westhoff, Ryder and Marshall with a cameo from Frampton and Howard.

You’re right, it’s not really comparable. If Richmond didn’t get injuries they would have been unbackable favourites for the flag. All their injuries did was give other teams the false hope that they had a shot at it.

In fact, it probably made them better because Lynch got to learn what the standard is for being a forward at Richmond without Riewoldt there to bail him out.

Richmond are where we need to get to. Success that is built on internal fire, not external flash.

I believe our system would've gone full nelson had proven non pea heart Jack Watts been available all year.

I’m not comparing their individual accolades or performance, but their value to their team. And it’s because of those accolades that the media thought they would struggle.

Are we a better team with the players we were missing in the side, fit and in form? Would we have won more games with them and played finals?

The answer is yes.

Richmond had two premiership defenders in Grimes and Vlaustin to fall back on when Rance got injured. Who did we bring in for Watts and Jonas? Two players under 50 games in Howard and Lienert.

Grimes was AA this year by the way. What does that tell you about him and his quality?

They had a star in Tom Lynch to cover for Riewoldt. Who did we have to cover for Dixon? Westhoff, Ryder and Marshall with a cameo from Frampton and Howard.

You’re right, it’s not really comparable. If Richmond didn’t get injuries they would have been unbackable favourites for the flag. All their injuries did was give other teams the false hope that they had a shot at it.

In fact, it probably made them better because Lynch got to learn what the standard is for being a forward at Richmond without Riewoldt there to bail him out.

Richmond are where we need to get to. Success that is built on internal fire, not external flash.

I am now certain you are Ken - "we have a long way to go to be anything like the Richmond Football Club"

I believe our system would've gone full nelson had proven non pea heart Jack Watts been available all year.

Watts would have played the rebounding third tall/intercept mark role to perfection.

We swung Howard forward and then finally Westhoff back because Dougal doesn’t know how to play that role.

I am now certain you are Ken - "we have a long way to go to be anything like the Richmond Football Club"
People were comparing ken to do what dimma has done with Richmond in 2017 yeah no not happening with us any time soon.

Footballers immortalised with bronze statues:

Barrie Robran
John Coleman
Kevin Bartlett
Leigh Matthews
Jim Stynes
John Coleman
Malcolm Blight
Norm Smith
Russell Ebert
Tayla Harris

tenor.gif

Footballers immortalised with bronze statues:

Barrie Robran
John Coleman
Kevin Bartlett
Leigh Matthews
Jim Stynes
John Coleman
Malcolm Blight
Norm Smith
Russell Ebert
Tayla Harris

tenor.gif

To be fair it's not like it's at the MCG or even a ground. That would be beyond ridiculous.

I’ve mentioned this a few times previously, but since the Suns went up there and got out and about in the community, Queensland’s participation levels have overtaken South Australia’s.

Like the Swans, this is a 30-50+ year project to unlock the northern market and win hearts and minds, which is all the more crucial given how wobbly Rugby Union is at the moment.

Chuck in the multimedia potential of Queensland and the AFL will continue to wear financial losses and poor onfield performance for a long time to come.
Yep, we're in the transition period at the moment between the increased participation rate from GCS (and Brisbane then improving their outreach since they weren't the only one's there anymore) and those kids coming through in numbers to draft. Of course the smart thing would have been to bring in GCS in place of a Victorian side (same with GWS) to prevent the 15-20 year interim affect, but after Vlad failed using the carrot with North Melbourne, Gil the gutless, wouldn't get out from rimming the Vic. clubs to even think about being as ruthless as Oakley and saying there are too many still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see the problem with the statue. It commemorates the dawn of the competition and not really the achievements of a player (in the way an Erin Phillips one would).

I don't see the problem with the statue. It commemorates the dawn of the competition and not really the achievements of a player (in the way an Erin Phillips one would).
I dont either. I have no problems with celebrating & highlighting the women's game, & her fame/notoriety of 2019 will go down in history.

Then why not make an AFLW inspired sculpture.. it's ridiculous. The AFL are a bunch of w***ers anyway, the reason the AFLW went into the toilet so fast is because they are such a closed shop they don't and still don't realise the pushing of it as something it's not is what is making public opinion of it so poor.

Then why not make an AFLW inspired sculpture.. it's ridiculous. The AFL are a bunch of w***ers anyway, the reason the AFLW went into the toilet so fast is because they are such a closed shop they don't and still don't realise the pushing of it as something it's not is what is making public opinion of it so poor.
It is, it is iconic and it is about changing attitudes to female sports stars. She is also wearing the guernsey for the LGBTI+ ROUND i BELIEVE.

How can you possibly say it has gone to the toilet when the last game had a 35k+ crowd?

It's a perfect choice, particularly as the earlier one of her playing for Melbourne PRE-aFLW was also used as a launching pad for the league.

Image result for aflw tayla harris photo melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back