Jim Stynes
John Coleman
Malcolm Blight
Norm Smith
Russell Ebert
Tayla Harris

tenor.gif

Nicky Winmar?

Was he a great enough player to be immortalised or was it something else about him?

It is, it is iconic and it is about changing attitudes to female sports stars. She is also wearing the guernsey for the LGBTI+ ROUND i BELIEVE.

How can you possibly say it has gone to the toilet when the last game had a 35k+ crowd?

It's a perfect choice, particularly as the earlier one of her playing for Melbourne PRE-aFLW was also used as a launching pad for the league.

Image result for aflw tayla harris photo melbourne

The last game had a huge crowd coz the flogs in Adelaide were up and about thinking the boys were gonna roll all the way to a GF this year, the hype was palpable and the entry was free. Why don't you talk about the week before? If the punters truely cared where were they all year? It's just going to re-enforce mediocrity for female sports stars, make a bronze statue out of an actual one all you're doing is the same mistake the AFL has with public perception. What the hells LBQTI+ got to do with it? Is it the AFLW or the AFL gay league? I'll put it back on you, why can't the women be allowed to be footballing women and not have to be hijacked by other special interest groups.

Nicky Winmar?

Was he a great enough player to be immortalised or was it something else about him?

250+ afl games, 350?+ games in total, one of the greatest WA players of all time, multiple all australian, st kilda team of the century player... I don't know where his statue is but if it's in WA I reckon his record speaks for itself.

Then why not make an AFLW inspired sculpture.. it's ridiculous. The AFL are a bunch of w***ers anyway, the reason the AFLW went into the toilet so fast is because they are such a closed shop they don't and still don't realise the pushing of it as something it's not is what is making public opinion of it so poor.

I think that will change next year. The anticipation of the new teams coming in, the visible development of the talent pool, the greater professionalism of the teams, all point to 2020 being the entering of the growth phase.

I didn't like the over-hype either but it was needed coming off a zero-base. This should settle down a little next year, as I'm anticipating that they'll let the product start to speak for itself.

Build > Grow > Mature > Decline

AFLW is just at the end of the Build phase and about to head into the Growth phase, which typically results in more sales, higher prices, greater engagement.

The last game had a huge crowd coz the flogs in Adelaide were up and about thinking the boys were gonna roll all the way to a GF this year, the hype was palpable and the entry was free. Why don't you talk about the week before? If the punters truely cared where were they all year? It's just going to re-enforce mediocrity for female sports stars, make a bronze statue out of an actual one all you're doing is the same mistake the AFL has with public perception. What the hells LBQTI+ got to do with it? Is it the AFLW or the AFL gay league? I'll put it back on you, why can't the women be allowed to be footballing women and not have to be hijacked by other special interest groups.

What is the percentage of Lesbians in the AFLW? More than not?

Yeah don’t hijack womens sport by acknowledging it in art, culture and media

That's not the issue, we generally make bronze statues of champions/people who created cities/explorers/heroes. If her sponsors want to spend the money and make it fine but I'm saying it's just going to backfire like the rest of the AFL's attitude to the public and AFLW. Let it be what it is and grow organically to whatever it will end up being but people will just laugh at this statue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that will change next year. The anticipation of the new teams coming in, the visible development of the talent pool, the greater professionalism of the teams, all point to 2020 being the entering of the growth phase.

I didn't like the over-hype either but it was needed coming off a zero-base. This should settle down a little next year, as I'm anticipating that they'll let the product start to speak for itself.

Build > Grow > Mature > Decline

AFLW is just at the end of the Build phase and about to head into the Growth phase, which typically results in more sales, higher prices, greater engagement.

Sounds like last year with the new teams coming in, the problem is it's just diluted the talent pool more. I don't see it, especially in Adelaide they are going to suffer from the anger towards the club about everything else much like they benefitted the last 3 years of the mens team being up and about flowed onto people taking notice of them in the lead up to the AFL season. I also have no faith in the AFL not ******* with their rules again in the attempt to 'fix' the scoring in the womens game, they'll just make more issues.

Are you going to the SANFL GF?

I am, haven't given much of a s**t all year though.

I'll answer the last point....BECAUSE BY BEING 'FOOTBALLING WOMEN' THEY ARE LITERALLY A SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP! Their rights and opportunities to play are only now being addressed. It is totally as much about womens (and other group such as LGBTI+, how often have the women footballers of the past been dismissed as a 'bunch of dykes') rights and acceptance in the game as it is about football!

It ain't going away. When I started the side I coach we had 4 girls who could barely kick a ball. Now the first team squad contains 40 and there are more and more juniors coming through. If you want to know how much this all means to their perception of themselves and their opportunities (not just in footy, but in life), I suggest you volunteer for a junior girls team, you'll soon see the right of it.

Football and sport is ALWAYS about more than the game, otherwise we are just watching a load of overpaid morons kicking a bag of air around.

If it wasnt then why present it as though its a reason not to have a statue for Harris

huh? She can be a kids hero but she's not a champion worthy of a statue. You got someone saying she should have one coz of some photo controversy most people wouldn't even recall or remember and because she's wearing a LGBTI+ guernsey. I'm talking about the standard for immortalising people in statues around the place.. NAB can do it if they want it's their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back