Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you going to the SANFL GF?

I am, haven't given much of a s**t all year though.

I'll answer the last point....BECAUSE BY BEING 'FOOTBALLING WOMEN' THEY ARE LITERALLY A SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP! Their rights and opportunities to play are only now being addressed. It is totally as much about womens (and other group such as LGBTI+, how often have the women footballers of the past been dismissed as a 'bunch of dykes') rights and acceptance in the game as it is about football!

It ain't going away. When I started the side I coach we had 4 girls who could barely kick a ball. Now the first team squad contains 40 and there are more and more juniors coming through. If you want to know how much this all means to their perception of themselves and their opportunities, I suggest you volunteer for a junior girls team, you'll soon see the right of it.

I'm not saying it should go away, I'm saying it's not what it's sold as. That's great you have a girls team, I've been around sports that involved women for a long time, one of the most insulting things is for people to pretend womens sports somehow didn't seemingly exist before they had football teams which is what you've done here. I have no issue with them playing but you wouldn't make a statue out the side of the ground of one of your players after 22 non descript games right?

huh? She can be a kids hero but she's not a champion worthy of a statue.
I mean she clearly is - she’s got one. QED.

I'm talking about the standard for immortalising people in statues around the place..
Yes very important, mmm. That standard that doesn’t exist must be enforced.

I'm not saying it should go away, I'm saying it's not what it's sold as. That's great you have a girls team, I've been around sports that involved women for a long time, one of the most insulting things is for people to pretend womens sports somehow didn't seemingly exist before they had football teams which is what you've done here. I have no issue with them playing but you wouldn't make a statue out the side of the ground of one of your players after 22 non descript games right?

No I haven't I have been a girls soccer coach for years.

The opportunity to play football hasn't really existed, that's a simple fact.

Why can't you understand that the statue isn't only of the player, it is of the moment and the reaction to it? The whole reason why the AFLW is bigger than the people on the Oval.

Why can't you understand that the statue isn't only of the player, it is of the moment and the reaction to it? The whole reason why the AFLW is bigger than the people on the Oval.
The entire argument is so flimsy I’m surprised you’re humoring the idea that it might be anything other than the reflex of ingrained misogyny

I mean she clearly is - she’s got one. QED.

Yes very important, mmm. That standard that doesn’t exist must be enforced.
Agree

There's a statue of Alice in wonderland in the parklands and she's only a figment of the fevered yearnings of a sexually repressed middle aged academic/cleric.

Societies have always made statues of whatever they want to. If it's important to someone and they've got the money to stump up for it they'll put one up.

I’ve mentioned this a few times previously, but since the Suns went up there and got out and about in the community, Queensland’s participation levels have overtaken South Australia’s.

Like the Swans, this is a 30-50+ year project to unlock the northern market and win hearts and minds, which is all the more crucial given how wobbly Rugby Union is at the moment.

Chuck in the multimedia potential of Queensland and the AFL will continue to wear financial losses and poor onfield performance for a long time to come.

The AFL lists “participation” as a kid undertaking a free school clinic and therefore being automatically registered for Auskick.

I wouldn’t trust any numbers they list with that word in it. They overinflate them so they can put their hand out for government funding. They wouldn’t have got the stadium upgrade without it.

Gold Coast is and always will be a sporting graveyard. They will stick around because it allows the AFL/Channel 7 to manipulate the fixture so that whoever plays the Suns isn’t broadcast on FTA, but a high drawing team like Collingwood or Essendon - meaning more $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree

There's a statue of Alice in wonderland in the parklands and she's only a figment of the fevered yearnings of a sexually repressed middle aged academic/cleric.

Societies have always made statues of whatever they want to. If it's important to someone and they've got the money to stump up for it they'll put one up.
Alice in Wonderland is ******* awesome. To even use Alice as an example is straight up jabberwocky.

No I haven't I have been a girls soccer coach for years.

The opportunity to play football hasn't really existed, that's a simple fact.

So if we stuck a statue up of a womens soccer player from the initial few years who'd played 22 games, how many of the girls you coached would be like wow that was worthy? None.

I do understand that and again, it's not worthy of a statue.

If you want a statue that is truly about what you are saying you'd have one of the first AFLW captain raising the cup. That's the moon landing statue for AFLW

Not sure your sponsor making you one counts as being selected as a champion.
Having a statue made of you passes the non existent threshold of whether you can have a statue made of you

It's a unique marketing move though.
Its really not. Companies commission art all the time.

So if we stuck a statue up of a womens soccer player from the initial few years who'd played 22 games, how many of the girls you coached would be like wow that was worthy? None.
They might think it was cool

You may not realise this but most people don’t look at art and judge it ‘worthy’ or not

They might think it was cool

You may not realise this but most people don’t look at art and judge it ‘worthy’ or not

So I just took a look at the social media reaction to the statue (didn't realise it was already made) ******* hell, it's bad. Kind of like I predicted I just didn't realise I was talking about something already created.

Having a statue made of you passes the non existent threshold of whether you can have a statue made of you

Its really not. Companies commission art all the time.

How many public bronze statues of people have you seen from companies lately? Of relative nobodies at that? I can't think of one? Maybe an iconic animal or something but not of a person a company sponsors so I think it's pretty unique.

How many public bronze statues of people have you seen from companies lately?
There was a whole thing about Brave Girl standing in front of the bull in Wall Street, and that was a corporate commission.

Of relative nobodies at that?
How many followers of AFLW do you reckon don’t know who Tayla Harris is. How about of people who just follow AFL.

I can't think of one? Maybe an iconic animal or something but not of a person a company sponsors so I think it's pretty unique.
NAB sponsors the league. Same as they pay kids to dress up as AFL footballers for their ads (are we judging player worthiness for that?) Its marketing.

How many public bronze statues of people have you seen from companies lately? Of relative nobodies at that? I can't think of one? Maybe an iconic animal or something but not of a person a company sponsors so I think it's pretty unique.
There's a statue of Boof Lehman at Adelaide Oval. Fruchoctopian hero but a relative nobody in the history of international cricket

Agree

I can’t remember where I heard it, but Lewis Carroll was raped by older boys at the boarding school he attended in Rugby and Alice in Wonderland was created because of his obsession with the innocence of youth that he lost...and a certain Alice Liddell that he took photographs of naked.

Alice in Wonderland, along with Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There and The Wizard of Oz, are classic literary devices used to indoctrinate children into servitude through the use of fantasy tropes that condition them into believing that not all is what it seems.

The fact that there is a statue to Alice in Wonderland in the Adelaide parklands doesn’t surprise me at all when you consider what happens in those parklands at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back