Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
TopReek doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Anyway I'm done posting about the Hogan thing, if people want to keep trying to score points over something they can't change go ahead.

No, just Reek

But this isn't about the Hogan thing, it's about a group of posters here who attack other posters who have a different opinion, constantly

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
No, just Reek

But this isn't about the Hogan thing, it's about a group of posters here who attack other posters who have a different opinion, constantly
I guess the problem with online forums is that there is a disconnect that occurs when reading someone’s post and appreciating that they are a human being. It’s a bit like road rage - there’s a tendency to see every other car as either an impediment or a dangerous a-hole rather than another person with loved ones who might’ve made a mistake or didn’t see you or is in a panic etc.

Anonymity online can be a blessing and a curse. I find it easier to articulate and share my views through writing rather than talking. It’s also kind of cool to explore and construct an alternative identity. However, having an avatar can cause the ego to go a bit overboard and pour a bucket of s**t on people I disagree with. It’s also easy to get sucked into groupthink and possible trolling/bullying with the social currency of likes on offer.

Short of holding hands and singing kumbaya - I’m going to try and be better at engaging in respectful discussion.

Apologies for the sermon.

I guess the problem with online forums is that there is a disconnect that occurs when reading someone’s post and appreciating that they are a human being. It’s a bit like road rage - there’s a tendency to see every other car as either an impediment or a dangerous a-hole rather than another person with loved ones who might’ve made a mistake or didn’t see you or is in a panic etc.

Anonymity online can be a blessing and a curse. I find it easier to articulate and share my views through writing rather than talking. It’s also kind of cool to explore and construct an alternative identity. However, having an avatar can cause the ego to go a bit overboard and pour a bucket of s**t on people I disagree with. It’s also easy to get sucked into groupthink and possible trolling/bullying with the social currency of likes on offer.

Short of holding hands and singing kumbaya - I’m going to try and be better at engaging in respectful discussion.

Can confirm that I’m not a human, feel free to verbally abuse me without regret

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can confirm that I’m not a human, feel free to verbally abuse me without regret

If people needed you to spell that out for them, I'm disappointed. Your lack of humanity is your defining feature.

Like all your passive aggressive posts in this thread? Grow up mate, everyone has been immature about this s**t. Lets just move on yeah?
and this post kind of proves my point.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What a shock Tmac kicked most of his goals in the 17 games Hogan played... Truly amazing statistical analysis.

I mean TheCount already proved Hogan kicked like 90% of his goals from free kicks or uncontested marks but sure he's the saviour and the club should fold.

Jealous of the profound impact he had on Freo this year with his 12 goals. Difference between 17th and 1st for us IMO

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC

Fight me Johnny Karate you coward.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
What a shock Tmac kicked most of his goals in the 17 games Hogan played... Truly amazing statistical analysis.

I mean TheCount already proved Hogan kicked like 90% of his goals from free kicks or uncontested marks but sure he's the saviour and the club should fold.

Jealous of the profound impact he had on Freo this year with his 12 goals. Difference between 17th and 1st for us IMO
In fairness, the talk is more about missing Hogan's work up the ground, and him playing the foil than his actual impact on the scoreboard.

But even then, solely linking TMac and Weid's ordinary seasons to the fact Hogan wasn't there is far too simplistic, and provides an easy out for not only the players themselves, but the coaches, and in particular the fitness staff. Weid is still a long way from having the tank required to play out a game, while TMac was clearly lacking conditioning after surgery in Feb, so it probably shouldn't have been a surprise that a player that has built his game around his running power struggled for form when he was lacking in that department.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
In fairness, the talk is more about missing Hogan's work up the ground, and him playing the foil than his actual impact on the scoreboard.

But even then, solely linking TMac and Weid's ordinary seasons to the fact Hogan wasn't there is far too simplistic, and provides an easy out for not only the players themselves, but the coaches, and in particular the fitness staff. Weid is still a long way from having the tank required to play out a game, while TMac was clearly lacking conditioning after surgery in Feb, so it probably shouldn't have been a surprise that a player that has built his game around his running power struggled for form when he was lacking in that department.
He played 12 games for Freo kicked 13 goals and they went 6-6 include kicking less than 75 in 7 of the games he played. It's an embarassingly simplistic angle to judge our season on.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thoroughly off topic, but how seamless is the loop on that gif. Some impressive work right there.

That'd be because it goes forward then reverses so its back at the start. You can tell by the facial expression.

Back