Preview 2019 Semi Final v West Coast

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the plan of a forward half game?? Going back to pre season the plan was to have a forward half, repeat entry, small forward half game. Even when we were 11-1 it wasn’t exactly lock it in style, repeat entry wins. We are now a back half slow moving bore to watch. Scott has lost his direction!
Does anyone have the inside 50 stats? I know Collingwood had the first 10. I reckon after quarter time Geelong might have won the count but it would be nice to know. I know that after quarter time the Cats had the edge in clearances, albeit scrappy ones compared to when Collingwood cleared it was usually in clean and damaging fashion.

Does anyone have the inside 50 stats? I know Collingwood had the first 10. I reckon after quarter time Geelong might have won the count but it would be nice to know. I know that after quarter time the Cats had the edge in clearances, albeit scrappy ones compared to when Collingwood cleared it was usually in clean and damaging fashion.

Final count was 50-43 in our favour.

I think Collingwood had the first 11, so that means we led the count 50-32 from there.

Geez.

Collingwood goals came too easy.
While we missed soda's.

Second half we were much better but just could not make in roads on thier lead.

I'm still livid about the Stanley fiasco :(
Any reasonable analysis would have raised huge red flags :
> Stanley had broken even earlier in the year with Grundy and had just come off a very good effort against Kreuzer - he was in form
> Blitz had been pantsed by Stef friggin Martin FFS , Grundy is the best follower going around so huge risk
> Blitz out of defence takes direction and flexibility from our settled defence
> Blitz in the ruck meant Sav spent more time rucking than he would had Stanley rucked - weakens our forward line

Much too bigger risk IMHO , we need to admit we have a post Bye and Finals issue and if we haven't addressed this internally someone should be sacked for gross incompetence.

I believe Scott is the fall guy here, as he should be, with prime accountability.
It's a very defensive and unusual statement, immediately post game, to say there are 6 or 7 others responsible as well for the Stanley decision.
I'm always interested in the psychology behind his antics, but only the fly on the wall knows how hard that non-selection was argued.

He has mentioned throughout the season that he is but one of the MC.
Stanley has lost their faith and been pegged as a weak link, irrespective of the bloody weather.

Stanley has lost their faith and been pegged as a weak link, irrespective of the bloody weather.

This might be true, but in my opinion it just doesn't matter and shouldn't affect decisions like the one that was made on Friday. The ruckman is such a critical position. Even if your ruckman isn't great, you can't dump him in the first final and unsettle the team like that. It's like playing hockey without a goalkeeper because your goalkeeper isn't great. It's just stupid, over-thinking, arrogant bullshit and it needs to be called out.

Can’t disagree.

It’s a dumb coincidence in my opinion. Nothing more. And it just appears to be a streak of poor starts.

I don’t think intent actually means much. I think that they just need to take opportunity. I would actually want a player like Dahlhaus to kick the opening goal. He’s generally sharp and is committed from the first instance.

You're a little more generous with your definition of coincidence than I. Even a dumb one 😀

To me it's now bordering on a trend, which implies a specific problem.

Intent? By that I mean the individual, and collective group, being intensely focused on their role, and a desire to do whatever it takes to get in front of their man, and win the ball.

I'm guessing the ticket sales for Friday night are pretty poor and the AFL is trying to do everything to minimise backlash for this game not being moved to KP

fu** OF AFL:

Meanwhile the AFL started offering cut-price tickets to Friday night’s game on Wednesday. Some Level 1 tickets were offered for $35, and one deal had a family ticket available for as little as $50

I want to see them use the corridor more and stay away from the wing, we looked so much more dangerous when we came through the middle against the pies to the point where we were on top and could have stolen in. The continuous bombing to the wing from full back wont work against West Coast as it will just come straight back, we need to be smart, hit up players and move through the middle, its easier to deliver the ball on a plate when you are running in a straight line towards your target.
Would also like to see quick movement from defence rather than the static style but ...
aside from the fact that Scott is wedded to the style (and admittedly it has contributed to stingy low against scores) the team has not played a quick/direct exit from defence style and has little confidence in ability to run out/spot kicks. If they switched completely to that style in a finals game I suspect it would be a disaster.

Practically- I think they have to largely stick to the strategy for taking the ball out of defence but have a lot more running to outnumber at fall of the ball and cover re-entries. Look for fast exits but not craziness.
Overall a massive uptick in energy and intensity is needed. Once to the centre, more first option and then spreading of forwards (rather than the ugly pack at 25 metres out) is needed. Really need to ensure that intercept marking by opposition is minimised (no one was putting a body on Moore last Friday, permitting a clear run at intercept marks - absolutely infuriating).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Eagles play two rucks, plus Waterman, and the two stars, that massively plays to our favour. We could almost get away adding Henderson for Kolo if they do that. Geelong don’t often lose to tall forward lines.

Their mix earlier in the year with Cameron and Pettrucelle would be much more dangerous.

We can thank the bombers ineptitude that they are unlikely to make a change and it gives us a fighting chance.

Stanley should be playing, but what's his mental mind going to be like? When your coach doesn't rate him... So I wonder how is he going to perform.. ( I can't blame him tbh ) I really hope he comes out and kills it, but will he mentally is the biggest thing.
Some people may say his been dropped before and bounce back but this is different as this is a do or die final. Not a home and away game....

I'm guessing the ticket sales for Friday night are pretty poor and the AFL is trying to do everything to minimise backlash for this game not being moved to KP

fu** OF AFL:

Meanwhile the AFL started offering cut-price tickets to Friday night’s game on Wednesday. Some Level 1 tickets were offered for $35, and one deal had a family ticket available for as little as $50

They'll be handing out freebies at fed square on Friday to make sure they get 50k plus

Some talk on our board about who Hutchings will tag. Names mentioned include Dangerfield, Ablett, Kelly and Stewart. Probably a couple more. Many cats to choose from!

Interested in your perspectives - who do you hate the opposition tagging on your team?

I don't recall you guys tagging much in recent times, but as for me I hate it when Shuey gets a tight tag.
Hutchings doesnt have the pace to go with Danger, expect it will be Kelly.

Please no

It's not a criticism of Blicavs because you just know that regardless of the position he is asked to play that he will go out there and give it 100% - he could be asked to play as a roving small forward, he would give a weird look to both Enright & Scott, but he would do his best but probably look out of his depth in that role.

In terms of him playing in the ruck, he goes alright as 3rd man up or pinch hitting as an in game change, but not for a full game, especially against more athletic rucks.

If they want Henderson as a kpd then drop a defender like Kolo who really wasn't good last week and seems to have not been right since his concussion. May also help Taylor if he isn't the only genuine tall defender down back
If there's any side you don't play Blicavs in the Ruck it's West Coast, Nic Nat will smash him in the Ruck and they'll have 4 guys over 191cm up forward.

They'll be handing out freebies at fed square on Friday to make sure they get 50k plus
I saw someone on Facebook saying that his work/employer had an offer of 2-for-1 category 1 tickets with a limit of 4 tickets per employee.

It also seems that they aren't selling tickets for the top tier - I haven't seen them on sale at any stage this week; it's becoming laughable

If there's like only 45kin attendance on Friday night then I hope there's pressure on the AFL to explain exactly why the match couldn't be at GMHBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back