Movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the worst movies I’ve watched.
Really?
Whole hippy ranch scene seemed pointless,
Apart from setting up the climax of the film?
and the violence at the end, smashing the girls head in, was way over the top.
Criticising Tarantino for violence in his films is like having a crack at water for being wet.
Watch it clean up at the Oscars for being different.
Think it'd be worthy for the acting chops and technical aspects.
Bring on Joker.
Heck yes! :)

How were you surprised by the violence then?

The violence didn't surprise me at all...if anything I expected more of it! Admittedly I went into it probably expecting it to be pretty focused on the Tait / Manson murder, and its lead up etc., which I know a fair bit about and find a fascinating period, but still I found it very meh. Went with some mates and we just kept saying at 30-minute intervals "it must just be a slow start...", "am sure it's about to get going...", until it got beyond 2 hours when we kinda gave up and conceded "ok this is just plain sh**".

Just my/our take though, and clearly lots of people (the majority) thought otherwise.

The violence didn't surprise me at all...if anything I expected more of it! Admittedly I went into it probably expecting it to be pretty focused on the Tait / Manson murder, and its lead up etc., which I know a fair bit about and find a fascinating period, but still I found it very meh. Went with some mates and we just kept saying at 30-minute intervals "it must just be a slow start...", "am sure it's about to get going...", until it got beyond 2 hours when we kinda gave up and conceded "ok this is just plain sh**".

Just my/our take though, and clearly lots of people (the majority) thought otherwise.
But you said the over the top violence was partly why you didn't like it. But it wasn't really over the top for Tarantino.

Its weird i can totally understand why people enjoyed it yet i thought the film was very meh overall. I need to see it again i think. Not movies just at home in a month or so.

Same I wanna see it again just to see if a like it for what it is rather than what I expected/wanted it to be.

Everyone seems to dislike the driving scenes but I liked em coz im the guy that plays gta v and spends alot the time driving around the city etc listening to music lol

Ive never been to LA but recognised places via the game haha

But you said the over the top violence was partly why you didn't like it. But it wasn't really over the top for Tarantino.

Na I think you have me mixed up with an earlier poster. I have no issue at all with his OTT style.

This was my post...

Am typically a huge Tarantino fan, but absolutely hated this movie (aside from that 5 mins). Sat through the entire marathon thinking "WTF am I watching?".
First movie I've ever left the cinema happily to have a smoke break halfway through. Should've just kept smoking.

I think this (below) might've been what you were referring to?

One of the worst movies I’ve watched.

Whole hippy ranch scene seemed pointless, and the violence at the end, smashing the girls head in, was way over the top.

Watch it clean up at the Oscars for being different.

Bring on Joker.

Na I think you have me mixed up with an earlier poster. I have no issue at all with his OTT style.

This was my post...

I think this (below) might've been what you were referring to?
I absolutely have.

I just saw the Hawthorn post right after me and it all went blurry.

Apologies.

There’s speculation that
this film might be another history rewrite like Django and IB and that Tate might survive.
If that’s the case I don’t think I’m that keen but we’ll see. Looks great otherwise.
Well the speculation was spot on.

Enjoyed it but kinda wondered what the point was.

Entertaining but not a lot really happened until the end.

Depends what you were hoping for.

I was really interested in Rick's inner conflict about feeling left behind in Hollywood and the class differential between Rick and Cliff.

It's not as though it was a film about the Manson murders. That climax just led to his ascension.

Well the speculation was spot on.

Enjoyed it but kinda wondered what the point was.

The point was a homage (especially 1st half). The plot, or lack thereof, was simply a vehicle to pay tribute to the movie industry/Hollywood/LA at a specific time. Similar to Hugo being a homage to the early films of Méliès (although the plot of Hugo was probably stronger than OUATIH).

The point was a homage (especially 1st half). The plot, or lack thereof, was simply a vehicle to pay tribute to the movie industry/Hollywood/LA at a specific time. Similar to Hugo being a homage to the early films of Méliès (although the plot of Hugo was probably stronger than OUATIH).
I get that but you can do that without the
rewriting of history - I assume spoiler tags still necessary. There didn’t seem to be a lot of point to Tate’s involvement. Would have preferred it if they’d left the ‘massacre’ out, hilarious though it was.

I get that but you can do that without the
rewriting of history - I assume spoiler tags still necessary. There didn’t seem to be a lot of point to Tate’s involvement. Would have preferred it if they’d left the ‘massacre’ out, hilarious though it was.
Classic QT. He loves re-writing history... Django, Basterds, etc.

Tate's involvement was to show her positive/optimistic view of Hollywood in contrast to the views of Dalton/Booth who have been munched up and spat out by the industry and are somewhat jaded.

Classic QT. He loves re-writing history... Django, Basterds, etc.

Tate's involvement was to show her positive/optimistic view of Hollywood in contrast to the views of Dalton/Booth who have been munched up and spat out by the industry and are somewhat jaded.
I understand, but there’s any number of pop culture figures from that era that might have fit the bill. With an ending like that you either buy it or you don’t. While it was laugh out loud funny I just didn’t buy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand, but there’s any number of pop culture figures from that era that might have fit the bill. With an ending like that you either buy it or you don’t. While it was laugh out loud funny I just didn’t buy it.
Tate was in it because it built to the night of her murder...

It was similar to Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight where the ending was so over the top violent that it seemed out of place and unbelievable.

Other people have said that the ending was the best part about it and the rest of the film leading up to it was dull and pointless but I found the lead up to be more enjoyable and interesting than the ending.

Yeah the best scene by far for me was Dalton's chat with the little girl. She stealed all her scenes. The ending was a shrug, although I liked Leo & Hirsch interacting as I've always felt Hirsch has aped Leo in a few of his previous roles.

It was one of those film industry homage films where it felt like there was too much mind paid to film/tv references, as if there is no breathing beyond that narrow obsession. It lacked the film reference subtlety he has been capable of in earlier films, here it is all kind of shoved in your face. Things like Sharon buying Tess at the bookstore, the TV habits of various characters, the use of The Wrecking Crew, the flurry of film posters, found it all a bit cringe personally. I'm a cinema nerd, and QT is as well, but the level of indulgence here was a little embarrassing. A shame, as I liked the film despite its faults.

QT did see The Wrecking Crew on release as a little boy, and was a fan of Sharon Tate's work in it, so I'll give him a pass on that count. He knew and liked Tate before she died as a little guy.

Last edited:
I know but I’m not quite sure why he wanted to include the ‘murder’ just to completely change it. I’m sure he has his reasons but it made it all seem very strange.

I kinda got it in IB but here it was just a bit bizarre.
Tension? You're expecting it to end with her death.

I know but I’m not quite sure why he wanted to include the ‘murder’ just to completely change it. I’m sure he has his reasons but it made it all seem very strange.

I kinda got it in IB but here it was just a bit bizarre.
Because of the impact the murders had on Hollywood/society. As mentioned earlier the character of Tate represents the the positive/optimistic side of the industry and even society as a whole. He wanted to change the script so that the positive force of Tate was what endured from that time, rather than the darkness that ensued from the Manson murders. Think of the character of Tate as a representation of an idea/culture rather than just a character. This is evidenced in the last scene where even the previously angry/jaded Dalton seems to change for the better when he gets exposed to the positive force of Tate.

Last edited:
The more I think back on this movie the more I like it, reckon this one is a real sleeper, wouldn't mind going back to the cinemas to watch this again, you just get completely immersed in that world that tarantino creates in this film and the acting by basically everyone is superb

The more I think back on this movie the more I like it, reckon this one is a real sleeper, wouldn't mind going back to the cinemas to watch this again, you just get completely immersed in that world that tarantino creates in this film and the acting by basically everyone is superb

Yep I saw it for second time on Sunday. Definitely do it before it leaves cinemas. As you said 3 hours of immersion in a different lifetime.

yep, it's a grower not a shower.

I think people are fooling themselves into believing OUATIH is that sort of sleeper immersive hangout film. In a couple years this will be rightfully regarded as his worst. All of his films have been cinephilia homages of a kind, but here it isn't employed with much nourishing enhancement, it's just there, heaps of it, distastefully blunt and unfiltered.

I think people are fooling themselves into believing OUATIH is that sort of sleeper immersive hangout film. In a couple years this will be rightfully regarded as his worst. All of his films have been cinephilia homages of a kind, but here it isn't employed with much nourishing enhancement, it's just there, heaps of it, distastefully blunt and unfiltered.
or maybe, you know, people just have a different opinion to you......

jesus christ. the arrogance of accusing people of deluding themselves into believing something they don't actually want to think, like they are some kind of mindless lemming, just because it's a different opinion to yours. wowsers O_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back