List Mgmt. Save us, Michael McMahon!

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Age:

The club is also set to part ways with list manager Michael McMahon, who has been at North for three seasons, at the end of the upcoming trade period. Former football manager Cameron Joyce and development coach Aaron Greaves left the club at the end of the season.

I don't blame our list manager or recruitment staff for problems inherited, but they knew the weakness of our list, particularly in the midfield, and failed to address it with the type of players recruited. We just can't go down the same path recruiting the same kind of players.

Just that in the short amount of time he’s been with us all of a sudden we have moved him on?
Was he really that poor that internally we saw him as surplus to requirements?
Where exactly was it that he struggled?
I know the Queensland draftees have been poor and some of our rookie selections left plenty to be desired but based on his appointment being the 14/11/2016 he has overseen the following:

2016 National Draft
PickPlayerRecruited fromGames for North
12Jy Simpkin*Murray Bushrangers56*
34Declan WatsonBrisbane Lions Academy0
36Josh WilliamsGold Coast Academy2
73Nick Larkey*Oakleigh Chargers19

Rookie Draft
11Cameron Zurhaar*East Fremantle28*
28Oscar JunkerWestern Jets0*
43Matthew TaylorPerth0

Tick - Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar
Fail - Watson, Williams, OJ, Taylor

2017 National Draft
4Luke Davies-Uniacke*Dandenong Stingrays21*
23Will Walker*Sandringham Dragons4*
62Kyron Hayden*Subiaco1*
72Tristan Xerri*Western Jets0*
77Billy HartungHawthorn13

Rookie Draft
4Thomas Murphy*Dandenong Stingrays4*
20Gordon NarrierPerth0

Tick - LDU, WW, Kyron, Xerri, Murphy,
Fail - Hartung, Narrier

2018 National Draft
8Tarryn Thomas*North Launceston20*
46Curtis Taylor*Calder Cannons2*
49Bailey Scott*Gold Coast Academy4*
69Joel Crocker*Sandringham Dragons0*

Rookie Draft
10Tom McKenzie*Northern Knights0
41Tom WilkinsonSouthport0

Tick - TT, Taylor, Scott, Crocker, McKenzie
Fail - Wilkinson

Not really that bad in terms of drafting. So is it the delisting or contracts along the way where he has drawn criticism? Or the failed Big fish pursuits? The trading has been good too.
Marley Williams, Hrovat is a good clubman who we kept on, Polec, Ahern, Pittard.
Tyson and Hall are too early to be called busts.

The big fish fails is the only thing I can think of that in his role as list manager - is that anyone who was involved with the push to get Kelly, Martin and Gaff is being moved on as it showed an inability and weakness at the negotiating front to seal the deal.
Three strikes and out. Not to mention the offers to Heeney and De Goey. If that’s the case, then yes I can see why he and Joyce’s have been moved on.
35% of his picks from the last three years have already left the club. Including two picks in the 30s where you have a chance to grab some really good players. Doesn't look like a particularly good record.

Having a look at the list it seems like there's a few that might not have their due diligence done in regards to whether they had the mentality to take this club where it needs to go. Names like Josh Williams, Oscar Junker, Gordon Narrier really jump off the page as players who we saw really lacked a professional edge in their preparation and competitiveness on the field.

To add to those three skinny outside types that couldn't have won a hard ball if their life depended on it we have the following exhibits:
a) Billy Hartung's attitude problems seemed so bad we cut him even though he was arguably best 22.
b) Red Og Murphy didn't last nine months in the country.
c) Wilkinson gave up on his footballing dream for a reality TV show.

I don't think it's the worst record drafting record in the league but it's ages from the best and we need the best if we're going to compete with clubs that don't have caps and can attract the best Victorians sent interstate every October. We don't have the luxury to wait and see with these roles. Shape up or ship out. Thanks for the mmrs MM.

From the Age:

The club is also set to part ways with list manager Michael McMahon, who has been at North for three seasons, at the end of the upcoming trade period. Former football manager Cameron Joyce and development coach Aaron Greaves left the club at the end of the season.

Who is making these calls? Is it genuinely Archer and Buckley riding shotgun?

You have a football manager, senior coach, senior assistant coach, list manager and development coach all wound up in the 1 year. Someone somewhere at the club must have a big visions / blueprint they're planning to you don't just accidentally wind up 5 key roles in quick succession.

Billy Hartung did not have an attitude problem. There was a problem but it had nothing to do with Billy himself.

He made the rest of the list insecure because he was the only bloke who could run a lap of Arden Street without an asthma pump?

You have a football manager, senior coach, senior assistant coach, list manager and development coach all wound up in the 1 year. Someone somewhere at the club must have a big visions / blueprint they're planning to you don't just accidentally wind up 5 key roles in quick succession.

potentially ceo as well?

brad scott, carl dilena, cam joyce, michael mcmahon, leigh tudor, aaron greaves

Just that in the short amount of time he’s been with us all of a sudden we have moved him on?
Was he really that poor that internally we saw him as surplus to requirements?
Where exactly was it that he struggled?
I know the Queensland draftees have been poor and some of our rookie selections left plenty to be desired but based on his appointment being the 14/11/2016 he has overseen the following:

2016 National Draft
12Jy Simpkin*Murray Bushrangers56*
34Declan WatsonBrisbane Lions Academy0
36Josh WilliamsGold Coast Academy2
73Nick Larkey*Oakleigh Chargers19

Rookie Draft
11Cameron Zurhaar*East Fremantle28*
28Oscar JunkerWestern Jets0*
43Matthew TaylorPerth0

Tick - Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar
Fail - Watson, Williams, OJ, Taylor

2017 National Draft
4Luke Davies-Uniacke*Dandenong Stingrays21*
23Will Walker*Sandringham Dragons4*
62Kyron Hayden*Subiaco1*
72Tristan Xerri*Western Jets0*
77Billy HartungHawthorn13

Rookie Draft
4Thomas Murphy*Dandenong Stingrays4*
20Gordon NarrierPerth0

Tick - LDU, WW, Kyron, Xerri, Murphy,
Fail - Hartung, Narrier

2018 National Draft
8Tarryn Thomas*North Launceston20*
46Curtis Taylor*Calder Cannons2*
49Bailey Scott*Gold Coast Academy4*
69Joel Crocker*Sandringham Dragons0*

Rookie Draft
10Tom McKenzie*Northern Knights0
41Tom WilkinsonSouthport0

Tick - TT, Taylor, Scott, Crocker, McKenzie
Fail - Wilkinson

Not really that bad in terms of drafting. So is it the delisting or contracts along the way where he has drawn criticism? Or the failed Big fish pursuits? The trading has been good too.
Marley Williams, Hrovat is a good clubman who we kept on, Polec, Ahern, Pittard.
Tyson and Hall are too early to be called busts.

The big fish fails is the only thing I can think of that in his role as list manager - is that anyone who was involved with the push to get Kelly, Martin and Gaff is being moved on as it showed an inability and weakness at the negotiating front to seal the deal.
Three strikes and out. Not to mention the offers to Heeney and De Goey. If that’s the case, then yes I can see why he and Joyce’s have been moved on.

Honestly I've a short attention span- could you possibly be available for my next catch-up or hour long phone chat? I need someone to take notes as I forget fairly quickly.

Anywho, not sure what I was sayin', but yeah I think it had to do with Goldy & Higgo in part. But yeah can send you a calendar invite :)

Great post and tbh I sometimes don't dwell on the why, but the outcome. I'm liking what we're doing, and there's a few other (rated ) x-North players keen to get home, apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I've a short attention span- could you possibly be available for my next catch-up or hour long phone chat? I need someone to take notes as I forget fairly quickly.

Anywho, not sure what I was sayin', but yeah I think it had to do with Goldy & Higgo in part. But yeah can send you a calendar invite :)

Great post and tbh I sometimes don't dwell on the why, but the outcome. I'm liking what we're doing, and there's a few other (rated ) x-North players keen to get home, apparently.
...McCartney?

Shows 2 things

1. The club got itself into a real mess with Bard and Joyce calling the shots. They were given extraordinary power and freedom and they were simply not up to it. The review of the football department by Peter Nash would have revealed all sorts of shortcomings in governance and competence.

2. Buckley (and Archer) are keen to make amends for being asleep at the wheel over the past 3 years and are hell bent on getting the best structure around Shaw that we possibly can - including a high element of old North people. This just simply has to happen.

My own view is that they need to go further than just off field changes - to fully remove the stench of the Bard era we need to address on field leadership as well.

There is an argument that this should wait 12 months - ie give the incumbents a full year under Shaw - but my view is that we should be addressing on field leadership this off season.

I don't blame our list manager or recruitment staff for problems inherited, but they knew the weakness of our list, particularly in the midfield, and failed to address it with the type of players recruited. We just can't go down the same path recruiting the same kind of players.
Whoever thought Dom Tyson was a "good fit" at NMFC and then proceeded to offer him a 3 year deal simply has to go. Its as simple as that. Nothing against Dom Tyson but we needed a player like him about as much as Bart Cummings needed another eyebrow. The height of stupidity.

Whoever thought Dom Tyson was a "good fit" at NMFC and then proceeded to offer him a 3 year deal simply has to go. Its as simple as that. Nothing against Dom Tyson but we needed a player like him about as much as Bart Cummings needed another eyebrow. The height of stupidity.

I think Tyson is a reasonable all rounder, he can get a bit of the contested ball, get a bit of the uncontested ball, is a bit inside. I think he can be a decent player for us if we sort out everything else wrong with our midfield, but he wasn't really a need for the club.

I think we will struggle to have him and Dumont in the side at the same time, both are one-paced mids who aren't strong inside or outside.

I think Tyson is a reasonable all rounder, he can get a bit of the contested ball, get a bit of the uncontested ball, is a bit inside. I think he can be a decent player for us if we sort out everything else wrong with our midfield, but he wasn't really a need for the club.

I think we will struggle to have him and Dumont in the side at the same time, both are one-paced mids who aren't strong inside or outside.

We already struggle with Cunners, Ziebell, Dumont and Jacobs*. Adding him was height of idiocy in conjunction with losing Billy.

We already struggle with Cunners, Ziebell, Dumont and Jacobs*. Adding him was height of idiocy in conjunction with losing Billy.

Yeah, I wasn't in favour of the trade but I don't want to s**t on him just because it was our bad decision. It probably highlights why we are making moves in the recruitment and list management departments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back