Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The only final in Melbourne this week, after only one last week. Surely the Melbourne footy loving public will get along and get 80,000 plus there?

Nah 65K tops

Hassle for cats supporters to get to the city on a Friday night. No parking at the G so train is the only real option.

Unless you get cheap tickets, the other 9 vic club supporters probably wont waste 50-100 bucks on a ticket.

Nah 65K tops

Hassle for cats supporters to get to the city on a Friday night. No parking at the G so train is the only real option.

Unless you get cheap tickets, the other 9 vic club supporters probably wont waste 50-100 bucks on a ticket.
It'll be under 60k I reckon.

But normal kit for Geelong is sometimes white shorts, sometimes blue shorts. White shorts would make sense this week but if the club wants to make some point about home grounds again by wearing blue shorts then they can knock themselves out.
Blue shorts at home games and white shorts at away games. Has been the case as far as I can remember. Back around the same time as our premiership years (no coincidence) the AFL tried to force us to wear white shorts for all games. Since I'd say 2016 or 2017, all home games have been in blue shorts, and most away games in white.

Blue shorts at home games and white shorts at away games. Has been the case as far as I can remember. Back around the same time as our premiership years (no coincidence) the AFL tried to force us to wear white shorts for all games. Since I'd say 2016 or 2017, all home games have been in blue shorts, and most away games in white.
They wore white shorts in your last home game in round 23.

They wore white shorts in round 23.
Yes, because Carlton and Collingwood are protected species. Like everything the AFL does, you can always find an exception to an otherwise easy to follow rule for no other reason than "tradition" or some bull along those lines. (See Geelong playing finals in Melbourne, the GF still being 2pm and the AFLW being shafted to the middle of summer).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who won that game?

You were in the top 4 until you lost to hawthorn, where was that played?

To blame the fixture as to why you finished 5th sounds like something Chris Scott would do. Don’t worry though I still think you’ll end up being top 4 after this week anyway
I wasn't blaming the fixture, I was merely mentioning that because of the draw being uneven, it is possible for teams to be of a similar calibre to top 4 teams without finishing in the top 4.

You'll find all this out on Friday night anyway.

Yes, because Carlton and Collingwood are protected species. Like everything the AFL does, you can always find an exception to an otherwise easy to follow rule for no other reason than "tradition" or some bull along those lines. (See Geelong playing finals in Melbourne, the GF still being 2pm and the AFLW being shafted to the middle of summer).

A 2pm GF is still what the majority of fans want. Why mess with what works? Some traditions are worth keeping imo.

AFLW is in late Feb/March, not the middle of summer, before the regular srason.

A 2pm GF is still what the majority of fans want. Why mess with what works? Some traditions are worth keeping imo.
Not saying it should be moved. But tradition alone as a reason is pretty pathetic. Especially when AFL is objectively a better sport to watch at daytime due to it a) not being ******* freezing and b) the sunshine reduces the dew which improves the ball handling

Unless we want players wearing gloves, we should be trying to limit the number of night games. There's a reason why Easter Monday, Anzac Day, Queens Birthday and the GF are right up there and can be beautiful spectacles to watch. The demise of Saturday and Sunday day finals is a shame.

Thanks for confirming that for home games sometimes Geelong wear white shorts and sometimes blue.

I wasn't blaming the fixture, I was merely mentioning that because of the draw being uneven, it is possible for teams to be of a similar calibre to top 4 teams without finishing in the top 4.

You'll find all this out on Friday night anyway.
What you are saying now is completely different to your original argument but never mind, I agree the fixture is very uneven.

I won’t find out anything, only way I’d be surprised is if we won. I rate WCE as the second best side personally.

Not saying it should be moved. But tradition alone as a reason is pretty pathetic. Especially when AFL is objectively a better sport to watch at daytime due to it a) not being ******* freezing and b) the sunshine reduces the dew which improves the ball handling

Unless we want players wearing gloves, we should be trying to limit the number of night games. There's a reason why Easter Monday, Anzac Day, Queens Birthday and the GF are right up there and can be beautiful spectacles to watch. The demise of Saturday and Sunday day finals is a shame.

I quite like night games in general, There's a build up and atmosphere, and it seems to be just a good time to watch on tv at least...to go watch live, I guess whether it's better depends. Course having night games in the first place was a break in tradition. I still prefer the granny being a day game, just traditional. I'm 33, so night games have always been a thing for me. I'm glad every game isn't still played at 2pm on a Saturday, so I can enjoy a full weekend of footy. With kayo i don't really care what fta decides to show either.

Yeah I can see this potentially happening.
It isn’t great for your guys to be playing against a side who are getting smashed by the media and have backs to the wall.

If we can’t win in this situation I’ll be fuming and you’ll have done well.
I think it's WC defence TBH. Leaking way more than it has in the last two years. Barrass being down on form, Nelson playing like a potato and Duggan being out don't help. Also, if Hutch is in, and he isn't tagging a mid, he and Masten are defensive liabilities.

Geelong will play their best game for the year. Which WC turns up and how mentally prepared they are will determine if it's a blowout and Geelong win, or WC grind one out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back