Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys can we stop getting so wound up about recruiting Aboriginal players? Aboriginal persons make up about 3% of the total Australian population. They punch way above their weight in terms of their percentage of players in our elite professional competition but at the end of the day it may be around 6% of AFL players are Aboriginal. I think there is skewing of players to WA and SA due to population distribution.

If it is going to happen, it will happen, if it doesn't it means nothing. It is no reflection on our club, its just one of those things.

(Happy also if others have proper stats rather than my surmising, but I don't think I'm too far off).

Have heard from a very good source who I will not name that our club is not favourably viewed by indigenous players.

I wonder if we have skeleton in our cupboard that we fans do not know about?

Liam Jones is at Carlton, didn’t leave the club on good terms, and was subjected to some racist taunts from fans. On the other hand Marngrook footy show has two hosts who are Bulldog fans in Leila and Grant.

Liam Jones is at Carlton, didn’t leave the club on good terms, and was subjected to some racist taunts from fans. On the other hand Marngrook footy show has two hosts who are Bulldog fans in Leila and Grant.
Michael McLean and Josh Hill are 2 other indigenous players who left in part because of discomfort with the club (teammates and/or fans)

Not a happy fact but a truth that needs to be dealt with

When did this happen with Liam?

If it was mindless Aboriginal taunts from scumbags in the crowd, was it even common knowledge that he was indigenous?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Sherman played for us?

If so, what did the club do about it?

Sadly, yes - while he was with us. Can’t remember what happened, but I’m sure google is your friend.

Can’t speak to the Liam Jones abuse, never heard any of it myself. Magic was from a different era - where sadly racism was far more common.

I think the indigenous players make up 10% of the player pool, so there is a talent pool we aren’t successfully tapping into.

I think the skill set we are looking for fits with the typical skill set the indigenous players have. I’m fine with admitting we are looking to change our recruiting and retention of indigenous players, and I’m fine with paying overs to get someone in to help with this. We often talk about a special key forward coach, or goal kicking coach - this could be potentially as important.

While Sherman played for us?

If so, what did the club do about it?

Yeah, first season with us. We took action on it straight away, but I wonder if that event has anything to do with an apparently bad look for us?

I can’t really believe that though, considering all of the community activities we are involved in with a heap of ethnicities throughout the western suburbs

s**t! https://www.smh.com.au/sport/brown-slams-sherman-for-afl-racial-abuse-20110630-1gs7k.html

We're still tarred with that brush? It ws 8 years ago, although someone else mentioned that Hill copped something at the Dogs.

No wonder indigenous players do not want to play for us. I wouldn't.

Hill got abuse for being s**t - particularly after THAT incident at Geelong, Jones for flattering to deceive for so long.

It doesn’t take too much imagination to figure some of that abuse became racially motivated - all clubs have dick head supporters sadly.

Without an indigenous role model to stand up for us, it might be hard to overcome those perceptions...

Funny old thing abuse at the footy, not racial abuse.

I remember being at the SCG watching the Swans at the height of the Goodes nastiness at other grounds. I'm up in the members on the wing with a clear view of the boundary.

Goodes makes a bad mistake in front of me, and I say "Oh Goodes, you idiot" like I would any other player doing the same thing. I remember shouting at Sicily earlier this year at the MCG that he was an idiot when he lost it in the last quarter of the Hawks game.

Well, the Swans crowd around me turned on me as if I was a racist. I'm not, and my comment was not racist.

Anyway, they really gave me the shits and I should have left it there, rather than telling them Chris Grant was a better player.

Things went downhill from there....

Funny old thing abuse at the footy, not racial abuse.

I remember being at the SCG watching the Swans at the height of the Goodes nastiness at other grounds. I'm up in the members on the wing with a clear view of the boundary.

Goodes makes a bad mistake in front of me, and I say "Oh Goodes, you idiot" like I would any other player doing the same thing. I remember shouting at Sicily earlier this year at the MCG that he was an idiot when he lost it in the last quarter of the Hawks game.

Well, the Swans crowd around me turned on me as if I was a racist. I'm not, and my comment was not racist.

Anyway, they really gave me the s**ts and I should have left it there, rather than telling them Chris Grant was a better player.

Things went downhill from there....

It’s a fine line - and I’m not going to get into the Goodes situation here - too complicated and not the time.

It’s a bit like some of the players we love to hate. Ballantyne etc - we’d love them if they played for us, but not on the opposition. If you are having a go at fan favourites, it doesn’t end well. Despite going to university with Hird - most Bombers fans don’t really value my view...

Regardless of whether that view might be correct....

It’s a fine line - and I’m not going to get into the Goodes situation here - too complicated and not the time.

It’s a bit like some of the players we love to hate. Ballantyne etc - we’d love them if they played for us, but not on the opposition. If you are having a go at fan favourites, it doesn’t end well. Despite going to university with Hird - most Bombers fans don’t really value my view...

Regardless of whether that view might be correct....

No, I don't want to go any further down the Goodes road. I'm just surprised and disgusted that some of our fans racially abused our players Hill and Jones.

And that idiot Sherman didn't help things either.

No, I don't want to go any further down the Goodes road. I'm just surprised and disgusted that some of our fans racially abused our players Hill and Jones.

And that idiot Sherman didn't help things either.

Agreed, I don’t think people make that stuff up, so tend to think it did happen - sad as that is...

Agreed, I don’t think people make that stuff up, so tend to think it did happen - sad as that is...

So given all this, are you really surprised that we missed out on star indigenous players coming to us 3 years in a row?

It's probably worth it to get someone like Betts or Bourgoyne, but not if our fans racially abuse them.

Maybe Jamarra will leave us after 2 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back