News Poster's Favorite Movies - Latest Movie Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
My favourite director right now is Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049). He's currently working on Dune. I haven't read the book personally but I'm down for any kind of gritty post apocalyptic s**t.

That reminds me, the fact we didn't get a sequel to Mad Max: Fury Road is a travesty. The studio pulled some legal *ery to screw George Miller out of his bonus and he sued them. What a bunch of greedy assholes. When somebody makes a product as good as Fury Road, you ******* pay them what they deserve and get them working on a sequel pronto.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Body of Lies sounds intriguing.

The Departed was great, though the original HongKong film Inferno Affair was better in my opinion.

There’s no way that any movie without Leo can be better than the one that he’s in. It’s a universal truth. Another cracker is Charlie Wilson’s War. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was amazing.

TRP1996

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
My co-favourite movies are Heathers and Starship Troopers.

Congo rounds out the top 3.

Then, in no particular order, there's Return of the Killer Tomatoes, Mad Max: Fury Road, Mannequin, Highlander, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End, Last of the Mohicans, Mulan, Hot Shots: Part Deux, Detention (the horror-comedy-parody from 2009 starring Josh Hutcherson, not especially well known), Better Off Dead, Speed Racer, Not Another Teen Movie, Death at a Funeral (2007), The Three Musketeers (1993), Reality Bites, Clerks 2, Batman and Robin, Galaxy Quest, 7 Psychopaths, Moon, The Princess Bride, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Blast From the Past, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Dragonheart, The Phantom, BASEketball, The Last Emperor, Army of Darkness, Grand Budapest Hotel, Sunshine, Revenge of the Sith, Small Soldiers, and Grosse Point Blank.

Death of Stalin, Submarine, Manchester by the Sea, The Favourite, and Thoroughbreds all have a provisional place on my favourites list, but full membership is contingent on my opinion holding up on subsequent rewatches.

Additionally, several films, without ranking among my favourites, belong to the hallowed John Carter Society of Box Office Bombs I Feel Are Underappreciated, namely: John Carter, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Treasure Planet. Speed Racer hovers uncertainly between this and an outright spot on the favourites list.

My tastes are... rather idiosyncratic? In terms of themes, you can probably pick up some affinity for black comedy, parody, and satire, with some sprinklings of fantasy, historical fiction, and sci-fi, and a lot that can only be justified in terms of guilty pleasure and so bad it's good.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
FB_IMG_1567651543520.jpg

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

Then, in no particular order, there's Return of the Killer Tomatoes, Mad Max: Fury Road, Mannequin, Highlander, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End, Last of the Mohicans, Mulan, Hot Shots: Part Deux, Detention (the horror-comedy-parody from 2009 starring Josh Hutcherson, not especially well known), Better Off Dead, Speed Racer, Not Another Teen Movie, Death at a Funeral (2007), The Three Musketeers (1993), Reality Bites, Clerks 2, Batman and Robin, Galaxy Quest, 7 Psychopaths, Moon, The Princess Bride, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Blast From the Past, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Dragonheart, The Phantom, BASEketball, The Last Emperor, Army of Darkness, Grand Budapest Hotel, Sunshine, Revenge of the Sith, Small Soldiers, and Grosse Point Blank.

Death of Stalin, Submarine, Manchester by the Sea, The Favourite, and Thoroughbreds all have a provisional place on my favourites list, but full membership is contingent on my opinion holding up on subsequent rewatches.

Additionally, several films, without ranking among my favourites, belong to the hallowed John Carter Society of Box Office Bombs I Feel Are Underappreciated, namely: John Carter, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Treasure Planet. Speed Racer hovers uncertainly between this and an outright spot on the favourites list.

My tastes are... rather idiosyncratic? In terms of themes, you can probably pick up some affinity for black comedy, parody, and satire, with some sprinklings of fantasy, historical fiction, and sci-fi, and a lot that can only be justified in terms of guilty pleasure and so bad it's good.

Scott Pilgrim is the greatest comic book movie of all time.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
There’s no way that any movie without Leo can be better than the one that he’s in. It’s a universal truth. Another cracker is Charlie Wilson’s War. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was amazing.
It’s a universal truth according to Leo fans. I’m just a movie fan, I don’t care who the actors are just want to see good plot with good atmosphere and acting.

One of my favourite movies is Cube - a bunch of nobody actors but interesting plot and great atmosphere in the setting.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Have found that I've been watching much more television series than movies lately. Have a large backlog of movies saved on Foxtel IQ that I've never watched, have meant to for years and years but not got to yet:

Southpaw
Sicario
Training Day
The Revenent
2001 A Space Odyssey
Room
Inglorious Basterds
Apocalypse Now
In the Heat of the Night
High Noon
Raging Bull
The French Connection
Rocky
Scarface
Three Billboards...
There Will Be Blood
The Untouchables

Now that football is dead to me maybe I'll get around to watching them.

What should I watch first?

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have found that I've been watching much more television series than movies lately. Have a large backlog of movies saved on Foxtel IQ that I've never watched, have meant to for years and years but not got to yet:

Southpaw
Sicario
Training Day
The Revenent
2001 A Space Odyssey
Room
Inglorious Basterds
Apocalypse Now
In the Heat of the Night
High Noon
Raging Bull
The French Connection
Rocky
Scarface
Three Billboards...
There Will Be Blood
The Untouchables

Inglorious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Southpaw
Sicario
Training Day
The Revenent
2001 A Space Odyssey
Room
Inglorious Basterds
Apocalypse Now
In the Heat of the Night
High Noon
Raging Bull
The French Connection
Rocky
Scarface
Three Billboards...
There Will Be Blood
The Untouchables

Just to really kill off football try the 2017 GF first.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Southpaw
Sicario
Training Day
The Revenent
2001 A Space Odyssey
Room
Inglorious Basterds
Apocalypse Now
In the Heat of the Night
High Noon
Raging Bull
The French Connection
Rocky
Scarface
Three Billboards...
There Will Be Blood
The Untouchables

Southpaw
Sicario :heavycheck:
Training Day
The Revenent
2001 A Space Odyssey
Room
Inglorious Basterds
Apocalypse Now
In the Heat of the Night
High Noon
Raging Bull
The French Connection
Rocky
Scarface
Three Billboards...
There Will Be Blood :heavycheck:
The Untouchables :heavycheck:

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scott Pilgrim is the greatest comic book movie of all time.

I really liked Scott Pilgrim, but I must admit that I’m a huge fan of Michael Cera. Loved his cameo in This is the End, piss funny. But, if Dead Pool was a comic book, and I think it was, I’m going to have to call out your outrageous claim. There’s Dead Pool, then a massive gap and then everyone can start arguing about which movie is 15 Flemington straights behind it in second place.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Interesting list. 3/4 I agree with, the other 1/4 haven’t seen. Should probably work my way through the list.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought it was decent, but it bored me a bit. Dialogue is the best feature of his movies and it was just a bit meh in this one. Apart from the end there weren't any gripping scenes either.

I just hyped it too much.

Another movie I'm incredibly hyped for is Joker. Joaquin phoenix is probably my favourite actor. Trailer looks epic

It's his most divisive movie for sure. People like old mate Mr Moogle may not like it because it has 'toxic masculinity' and no Simpsons cartoon characters in it but for film buffs like you and I, it's a feast for the senses.

Agreed on Joker too

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Recent movie I loved:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (if you can get past the first story, which will put a lot off from the singing).
Second story is Hell-funny and contains the best joke I've seen in any Western, bar none.
Can't say which; spoiler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back