Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Mason Redman - massive break out.
Adam Saad - will go close to B&F. One of the elite small backs
Jake Stringer - Cracking year where he won games off his own boot. Kicked a ripper that went unheralded against the Crows.

Parish and Francis looked good once moved into their proper positions

I'm struggling.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Some individual development; Francis, Parish, Redman, McGrath's final all very positive. Ambrose, Stringer and Saad improving on 2018's output. Team defence somewhat improving, at times.

Gleeson successfully returning from injury also a real positive one for me after missing an entire season.

Also really like Ham, think he's going to be a quality winger for us with a couple of preseasons to add size.

Not all doom and gloom, just a few too many positives being tied to individual players and not enough to team progression for me.

Also very pleased to see us bring Caracella in for 2020 and think the decision to revamp the conditioning department is a good one.

Not having a drugs scandal was pretty nice. Hardly having the old one bought up in the media too often was pretty good too.

Can't really think of much else.

If the club announced it was launching an external, independent review of the football department to try and find out why we're so s**t, and maybe put a stop to it that would be swell.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
What went right
Redman,Saad, Stringer, Walla, Heppell (showing fight), Francis, McGrath, Dylan Clarke, Guelfi, Ambrose, Merrett.

What went wrong
Injuries/Form

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
The decision to revamp the conditioning department is a good one.
Not suggesting it was their fault, i.e. Crow, but the new conditioning staff will be on the back foot from day dot. Delaying surgery for Heppell and Fantasia will mean they won’t have a full pre-season, Hurley’s will be cut by 3-4 additional weeks and for what? Playing them in a lob sided final? They couldn’t possibly have thought they would go deep in September.

I’m expecting yet another slow start in 2020. It’s just amateurish.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Positives;

- Real emergence from Francis. Love what I see of him every week. Typical old-school defender and an absolute bruiser too.
- McGrath flourished when given his preferred role on the inside. Why this isn't a regular thing is yet another indictment on this club.
- Clarity on fringe players futures. Laverde - cut. Begley - cut. Long - cut. Langford - keep. Good to know definitively.
- Saad. Talk about a breakout year. Was just fantastic and a pleasure to watch.
- Our defence looked pretty good in general this year. Always going to be difficult with Rutten coming in and the 6v6 rule changes, but our backs adapted pretty well.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Positives;

- Real emergence from Francis. Love what I see of him every week. Typical old-school defender and an absolute bruiser too.
- McGrath flourished when given his preferred role on the inside. Why this isn't a regular thing is yet another indictment on this club.
- Clarity on fringe players futures. Laverde - cut. Begley - cut. Long - cut. Langford - keep. Good to know definitively.
- Our defence looked pretty good in general this year. Always going to be difficult with Rutten coming in and the 6v6 rule changes, but our backs adapted pretty well.
Given how exposed we left them at times too.

Francis getting a run in preferred position
Redman's year overall
Saad was immense
McKenna's kicking went unheralded, but he is executing some ridiculous passes.
Ridley getting early games and showing plenty
Debuting Zerk was great.

Do not feel too concerned about the future there. Another year under Rutten before he takes the reins.

Have the makings of a premiership defence if we can get the midfield to apply enough pressure so that oppositions don't have time to place their entries perfectly.

andon

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The year was another usual mid table performance but we were without Joe, and had more injuries to key players than we deserved.

There were times we played well and time when we didnt, but the Bulldogs game was a low point.

Anzac day we were the best team, yet lost in yet more umpiring controvercy, this damages the players confidence and the club, and the AFL too.

Rampe post shaking, another damaging incident for the AFL, the team and the club who missed out on 4 points.

The positives are the team played well enough to finish in the 8, and with a little bit better luck on injuries, and a return of a fit Joe
we can do better than this year. 6th or 5th next year and perhaps a home final.

Would have liked more of the younger players getting more games and preparing us for 2020.

Thanks to the team and the many people who give so much to the club for us to enjoy.

I am going to enjoy the reserves final series, and the Tigers, Cats, Giants, Brissy or WC stopping the Pies 16th flag, and the summer thats coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The year was another usual mid table performance but we were without Joe, and had more injuries to key players than we deserved.

There were times we played well and time when we didnt, but the Bulldogs game was a low point.

Anzac day we were the best team, yet lost in yet more umpiring controvercy, this damages the players confidence and the club, and the AFL too.

Rampe post shaking, another damaging incident for the AFL, the team and the club who missed out on 4 points.

The positives are the team played well enough to finish in the 8, and with a little bit better luck on injuries, and a return of a fit Joe
we can do better than this year. 6th or 5th next year and perhaps a home final.

Would have liked more of the younger players getting more games and preparing us for 2020.

Thanks to the team and the many people who give so much to the club for us to enjoy.

I am going to enjoy the reserves final series, and the Tigers, Cats, Giants, Brissy or WC stopping the Pies 16th flag, and the summer thats coming.
In a parallel universe where we win both Pies games through competent umpiring, and the Swans game is won after the siren with a goal from Myers inside the goalsquare, we go 5th (Pies drop to 6th) and play the Dogs.
Who slaughtered us and would probably do the same again.

Position is half the story
the 2019 off-season and 2020 preseason needs to be about building a new team culture
One of effort, skill and hunger on the field, and of elite management and performance off it.

Right now, i feel we're a ways off that, and the clubs like Collingwood and Richmond who are.

We made the finals despite a horrid run of injuries and saw some development amongst our young players.

A solid trade period and a good run of luck with injuries and who knows what could happen next year?

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
5 consecutive wins for the first time in ages.

Lots of younger players starting to establish themselves, as has been mentioned.

Some good grinding wins against the odds.

There was a stretch of over half the season where the defence was ranked in the top 2 or 3 in the league. Now to sustain it for longer.

Pidgeodo - Evolved again at level 50 (games). Should become Super Pidgeodo at Level 100.
#3 - the little nugget took a huge leap this year
The Shield - Goes in hard for a pretty boy. Needs help.
Franga - sticking around and a big pre-season should see him lift a gear in 2020
The Package - Enigmatic. Reckon he'll go even better next year.
Redders - a tough nut fierce as bustles in despite the questionable hair
Paddy - Beast Mode!
BZT - like...... he, Franga and Cody Brand could be the backline for the future.
The Guelf - Draco Malfoy is so under-rated
Saady - My favourite player to watch - a jet
AMT - Tippa, Walla, whatever he's a goalkicker
Irish - Subtitles needed but had a great year
Mingma - Champagne Ham #5 Devon Smith 2.0 like - tackles well for his size.

Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Positives;

Harsh on Begley and laverde. Begley coming back from injuries, was never going to reach his potential this year. I can understand laverde moreso, but not a bad depth player.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Harsh on Begley and laverde. Begley coming back from injuries, was never going to reach his potential this year. I can understand laverde moreso, but not a bad depth player.
I can understand your POV. I just don't think Belgey is really cut out for AFL level football. In all of his years, he's never looked comfortable at the level. I think at a certain point you cut your losses and move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back