Brexit - The UK referendum on leaving the EU - Reneging, reshmeging!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Huh? If Boris and friends voted for May deal they would have had brexit in name and to a degree that many understood what brexit was (in terms of staying in various customs unions etc). Now I agree it’s not what the hard line exiters want and they are pushing (imo I think they will get) their no deal.
May deal wasn't out by any definition.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer

Apart from the strict definition of not being an EU member any longer?

Seems again like 'out' to some means some kind of fantasy where the UK can do whatever it wants but still get all the benefits of trading with the EU. Actual real options for leaving the EU are these:

1. Technically leave but still by bound by most or all EU rules.
2. Leave all the way with no deal and face economic catastrophe.

It's quite rare to see politicians put the national interest first even at the expense of their own careers (to avoid option 2) the way we've seen the last few weeks. Interesting that when it does happen so many people are lining up to call them anti-democratic.

Only by your hard brexit definition.
Tel me, what deal would you have found acceptable? As in if Boris was to negotiate something with EU what does it look like? Genuinely curious

Not that I think any deal will happen with EU saying no concessions beyond May deal and the UK having rejected same

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Only by your hard brexit definition.
Tel me, what deal would you have found acceptable? As in if Boris was to negotiate something with EU what does it look like? Genuinely curious

Not that I think any deal will happen with EU saying no concessions beyond May deal and the UK having rejected same

How about the EU doesn't control internal transactions and laws within the UK. Freedom to run the country as they see fit.

How about the EU doesn't control internal transactions and laws within the UK. Freedom to run the country as they see fit.

That's fine, but you lose access to the common market and freedom of movement rights for British citizens

That's the whole bloody point

What law controls internal transactions?
I get freedom of movement causes angst as a sense of loss of border control

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal

Straight out of medusalas playbook.

Research by Michael Dougan, professor of EU law at Liverpool University looked at all of the EU regulations published in the Official Journal for October 2015. He counted 119 EU regulations, but only eight of them were legislative in character, of which two were measures relating to the EU's own budget and another two were amending measures.

The remaining 111 regulations (over 93%) were non-legislative acts, made up of detailed technical administrative decisions, such as updating the scientific registers of chemicals and food additives, and extending the protection period for measures to combat diarrhoea in pigs. Other months yielded similar results.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
That's fine, but you lose access to the common market and freedom of movement rights for British citizens

That's the whole bloody point

Most of the laws are related to the single market and EU standards, if you are in the single market then you have to factor the laws in, no one is an exception to this. This includes environmental laws, packing, logistics, health/food standards, aerospace etc etc. Can't be that hard for Brexiters to get it.

Most of the laws are related to the single market and EU standards, if you are in the single market then you have to factor the laws in, no one is an exception to this. This includes environmental laws, packing, logistics, health/food standards, aerospace etc etc. Can't be that hard for Brexiters to get it.

Yeah but the EU need them!!!!!

Hahahaha Scots courts rule prorogation unlawful.

Almost certainly goes to Supreme Court.

Dom and crew may well have screwed up tremendously here if they bullshitted Brenda.

And a Scottish court at that, blowback from the English red tops will be illuminating.

Not going down well on twitter with pro Brexit types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
So it was found illegal under Scots Law.

Does Supreme Court hear appeal under English or Scots Law?
Interesting question, considering the court that rejected a previous application to suspend the prorogation was English. As it’s a matter of British constitutional law, which is based on Acts of Parliament and common law legislation in English courts, I’m assuming it’ll be the former

Interesting question, considering the court that rejected a previous application to suspend the prorogation was English. As it’s a matter of British constitutional law, which is based on Acts of Parliament and common law legislation in English courts, I’m assuming it’ll be the former

I thought the High Court kicked it upstairs rather than kill it.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Picture if the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom did pass or decline on whatever egghead Scots law thing this is because it felt obliged to give favour or preeminance to English law. Free kick and then some for Scottish nationalism.

So there you have it cards on the table: the far right brexit party and the Tories. One and the same.
Only a complete crayon-eater didn't realize this from the word go

They know the 350 million for the NHS lie won them the referendum.

Going back to it now, knowing full well the NHS will be gutted after.

They know the 350 million for the NHS lie won them the referendum.

Going back to it now, knowing full well the NHS will be gutted after.
To buy Brexit you had to buy the fact that the Tories give a s*** about the NHS.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
What's the point of the legal challenges against the prorogation? If Parliament is forcibly recalled what are they actually going to achieve that they've been unable to in the last 3.5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back