2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee the desperation to win the sanfl flag.... can almost put money on them picking up Partington in the draft so he can play for them in the sanfl next year.
You just know next week they will use the "Its coming home" theme for the SANFL Premiership.

Trengove, Mayes, Suitcliffe, McKenzie all recruited and on the AFL list to win this years SANFL GF so they can use it in the 150th celebration next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unbelievably pathetic to put up a statue of her. What the fu** has she done?
It’s not about her. It’s about the controversy that surrounded the magnificent photo of her, which inspired this statue. The statue was commissioned by NAB not the AFL.

Why did the controversy need a statue? Everyone had moved on and this has just rehashed it for all time
I think this tweet sums it up best....

The Tayla Harris statue holds striking similarities to the Nicky Winmar one in front of Optus Stadium.

You could argue there's 100s of players more worthy of a statue based on their playing career than Nicky; but what the image represents transcends his on-field impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this tweet sums it up best....

The Tayla Harris statue holds striking similarities to the Nicky Winmar one in front of Optus Stadium.

You could argue there's 100s of players more worthy of a statue based on their playing career than Nicky; but what the image represents transcends his on-field impact.
Not really the same though is it. Nicky made a statement right then and there to fight racism.

I can guarantee you most people watching Tayla Harris that day didn't even think one little bit about whether you could see up her shorts.

Not really the same though is it. Nicky made a statement right then and there to fight racism.

I can guarantee you most people watching Tayla Harris that day didn't even think one little bit about whether you could see up her shorts.
No, but what ensued after that photo was taken is what this is all about. The same for Nicky Winmar.

No, but what ensued after that photo was taken is what this is all about. The same for Nicky Winmar.
Yeah but Winmar did something that no one until then had the courage to do

Harris didn't do anything

It's the Timmy O'Toole principle

That boy is a hero
How do you mean, Dad?
Well... he fell down a well and can't get out
How does that make him a hero?
It's more than you did!

Why are we so angry about a statue?

How does this demean other statues exactly?

Are we at the stage where we must be either angry or ecstatic at everything?

It's not hurting anyone or anything.

Cool the jets people, just think of it as a piece of private art if that helps you deal with the 'injustice' and stop yelling at clouds!

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

The NAB commissioned it as a gesture against online trolling - this is actually a good idea I think, but I think a statue is a bit of a stretch. If they used her likeness in a promotional campaign against online trolling/bullying of professional sportspeople, then that's a great idea. Statues should be reserved for legends IMO.

Blighty went off about it on FiveAA earlier tonight, never heard him so angry since the 'Rat's Tossbag' comment

Its the AFL do you really expect them to do something that makes sense?
They lurch from one moronic decision to the next. I think the boss Gil has lost his grip on reality.

Are you equating the treatment Winmar copped in his career and during his life due to his skin color to online trolling?

Cool the jets people, just think of it as a piece of private art if that helps you deal with the 'injustice' and stop yelling at clouds!

I think the statue is a crappy marketing stunt by NAB that is blatantly trying to cash in on a social event. Said event is not significant enough to warrant a statue, if it is significant enough it's too early to decide that, and it devalues the meaning of a statue when a company can essentially buy one for marketing

If anyone in the AFLW deserves a statue on merit it's Erin Philips and even then it's too early to go making her a statue

I think the statue is a crappy marketing stunt by NAB that is blatantly trying to cash in on a social event. Said event is not significant enough to warrant a statue, if it is significant enough it's too early to decide that, and it devalues the meaning of a statue when a company can essentially buy one for marketing

If anyone in the AFLW deserves a statue on merit it's Erin Philips and even then it's too early to go making her a statue
Corporate bank attempting to cash in on Social conscience.

It is an awesome photo, full credit to the photographer for timing it so well, of Harris doing something she does in every game. Kicking a footy.

She was not taking a stand against anything. Just kicking a ball.

And then a few online trolls made some inappropriate comments which 90% of the community chastised and said was inappropriate.

She was not taking a stand against being abused and oppressed in that moment.

And even the online abuse was minimal in the context of real abuse. it was over in a week. Yes a few morons said some crude things. But she was well supported by the general society.

If NAB have commissioned that statue to promote womans Footy, and by association their own brand all power to them.

It is an awesome pose to do that.

But to suggest it is reminder/celebration of some sort of struggle....that cheapens real struggles people have been through.

A statue for being trolled once on twitter is pretty lame.

Very 2019 though.

The big four banks are in a massive PR face saving mode after the royal commission.

We're getting bombarded with those ads with the soft music and patronising voice overs.

Never mind the fact that those campaigners ruined people's livelihoods and even worse in some cases.

They can all GAGF.

Now that aside, it was a fantastic photo showing the athleticism of AFLW footballers and IMO it should be the AFLW logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back