Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that would be good.
Scott has had Stevie J, Enright, Selwood, Lonegan, Hawkins and Taylor playing at their peak over the years though.
Yep and he won a flag and was a bit unlucky not to get 2013.
Scott is flawed and has made plenty of mistakes but if you pick any 6 of those guys and put them into current team-I reckon we win the flag this year.
Maybe a more pertinent question is why the heck didn’t we win more flags under Thompson? ;)

Yep and he won a flag and was a bit unlucky not to get 2013.
Scott is flawed and has made plenty of mistakes but if you pick any 6 of those guys and put them into current team-I reckon we win the flag this year.
Maybe a more pertinent question is why the heck didn’t we win more flags under Thompson? ;)
&14, some in 15 & 16, 17.

Given all the rubbish I am reading wce are a superior team and we should lose by plenty

I don't think too highly of Scott, I do think Geelong will win this week though.

The WCE game at the G is classic of the game this Geelong side will typically win. The following weekend they'll just turn up with their Euro vacations and golf trips in mind. Despite what the players carry on about 'finals is all I play for', etc.. these players don't give themselves a genuine chance at the Premiership.. I believe this. I don't think they're keen to work hard enough frankly.

Mind you, if Geelong were to lose tomorrow night? It will be brutal for the club... very, very brutal. As it should. If they make a prelim, it'll be just enough to hook all the fans into signing up for another year.

Last edited:
Had Rohan and Hawkins (twice) scored those critical early goals, we could be sitting here saying rucks are overrated. A lot of things went so poorly for us, and Pies grew in confidence.

Sure. But the specific response was to foreshadow v shock at Stanley cluster.

Can add Dahl’s misses, paddy runs one more step(very Trevor Poole) or somebody blocks pies. Or Bews gets a clear free kick........... ‘On and on and on
Keep on rocking baby ‘Til the night is gone’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think too highly of Scott, I do think Geelong will win this week though.

The WCE game at the G is classic of the game this Geelong side will typically win. The following weekend they'll just turn up with their Euro vacations and golf trips in mind. Despite what the players carry on about 'finals is all I play for', etc.. these players don't give themselves a genuine chance at the Premiership.. I believe this. I don't think they're keen to work hard enough frankly.

Mind you, if Geelong were to lose tomorrow night? It will be brutal for the club... very, very brutal. As it should. If they make a prelim, it'll be just enough to hook all the fans into signing up for another year.
So with that viewpoint in mind PB, is losing the semi and going out straight sets likely to be a more cathartic result for the club long term?

Sure. But the specific response was to foreshadow v shock at Stanley cluster.

Can add Dahl’s misses, paddy runs one more step(very Trevor Poole) or somebody blocks pies. Or Bews gets a clear free kick........... ‘On and on and on
Keep on rocking baby ‘Til the night is gone’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Trevor Poole references brings up bad memories

So with that viewpoint in mind PB, is losing the semi and going out straight sets likely to be a more cathartic result for the club long term?

I don't think so TBO, not long term. It's all forgotten about once the Cats start winning again in the 2020 H&A season.

I think Scott needs to do a Nathan Buckley, take a good look at how he manages players, standards, etc. Recognise he has an issue that isn't directly related to structures and recruitment. Tackle it that way. A straight sets exit will hurt, but only felt short term I think. Psychologically the side will go back to old ways if the 'comfortable' culture doesn't change.

It would hopefully bring on a wide ranging and in depth review.

There's much for Scott to rework etc ... he's a good coach and still needs to ensure he has the right strategies, the right coaches, fitness etc ... but there also needs to be a review of recruiting. We keep getting players who are very good H/A types ... but fail in finals. We have a few. There needs to be a review of how to get those guys to step up, or to bring in types that have shown (at lower levels of course) that finals are their stage.

We have too many Leon Davis's in the team right now.

It would hopefully bring on a wide ranging and in depth review.

There's much for Scott to rework etc ... he's a good coach and still needs to ensure he has the right strategies, the right coaches, fitness etc ... but there also needs to be a review of recruiting. We keep getting players who are very good H/A types ... but fail in finals. We have a few. There needs to be a review of how to get those guys to step up, or to bring in types that have shown (at lower levels of course) that finals are their stage.

We have too many Leon Davis's in the team right now.
Maybe but you can't test that until they are in finals. You can't gauge what an 18 year old is going to be like until they are 'like'. You can anticipate what they will need though to be finals ready and make sure that you have the best talent as assistants to skill them up and get them ready.
That I think is the bit missing for us Scarlet not with standing.

Maybe but you can't test that until they are in finals. You can't gauge what an 18 year old is going to be like until they are 'like'. You can anticipate what they will need though to be finals ready and make sure that you have the best talent as assistants to skill them up and get them ready.
That I think is the bit missing for us Scarlet not with standing.
Not at AFL level, no, but you can see how they perform in big games (at their previous level) to give some indication ... or you give them the opportunities at AFL level and if they continually fail ... then replace. We have a few at the moment that have maybe performed once or twice at most at the Finals level ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fair, I don't agree though.

I think Chris Scott's measured, intellectual exterior hides a soft, emotional man. To me this reflects the side he's developed. A side that enjoys and performs very, very well when things are nice, easier, when pressure is less of a concern.

No one in their right mind would back this side to win through to a Premiership as it stands. Doesn't matter who's in the team. They're battling a negative collective mentality, which is inhibiting them from performing to the level required - they don't want it bad enough.

So, we should have a less nice team.

Maybe you want us to have a team who is modelled on a drug dealer like Mark Thompson, who set back Essendon years by bringing in Dank.

Mark Thompson was a great coach, but he was no role model.

It's fine to blame Wells, fair enough.
I know a Stevie J interview has been quoted during the week.
I didn't see it, so don't know if he mentioned Bomber driving all the way up to Wang to meet his family just cause we were considering taking him as a second round pick.
How many coaches do that! He cared intensely about building that team and was a bloody hard worker.
Sure, possibly he was pinging off his head and had the energy but we were very lucky to have him.
That's not a slight at CS BTW. No coaches put in that effort.
Just a case of extraordinary effort leading to an extraordinary outcome.

Yeah, look at all the effort Bomber put into deflecting blame from himself for the Essendon drugs saga.

That's fair, I don't agree though.

I think Chris Scott's measured, intellectual exterior hides a soft, emotional man. To me this reflects the side he's developed. A side that enjoys and performs very, very well when things are nice, easier, when pressure is less of a concern.

No one in their right mind would back this side to win through to a Premiership as it stands. Doesn't matter who's in the team. They're battling a negative collective mentality, which is inhibiting them from performing to the level required - they don't want it bad enough.

Did you think the team wanted it enough in 2006?

Did you hold Bomber responsible for that?

A lot of you modern-day Geelong fans are entitled and spoilt.

Gee, if you can't handle a nine-year premiership drought, I would hate to see how you would have bitched and moaned during the 44-year drought that the club went through between 1964-2006.

Imagine some of you back then. You would want every coach between those years to be sacked, because, unless we get a flag EVERY SINGLE YEAR, you are not happy.

Some of the whingers on here don't deserve to celebrate another premiership.

So, did you hate on Bomber, and want him sacked back then, like you do with CS now?

Did you blame Bomber for his failures in 2008 and 2010?

Yes for 2010.

But bomber took us to our first flag in 2007 and then our team ****ed it in 2007 and then we won in 2009 so it's hard to hate on the man.

Gee, if you can't handle a nine-year premiership drought, I would hate to see how you would have bitched and moaned during the 44-year drought that the club went through between 1964-2006.

Imagine some of you back then. You would want every coach between those years to be sacked, because, unless we get a flag EVERY SINGLE YEAR, you are not happy.

Is it too much for our players to show a bit of ticker in finals? Maybe 5 players actually looked like they gave a s**t V Collingwood.

So, did you hate on Bomber, and want him sacked back then, like you do with CS now?

Did you blame Bomber for his failures in 2008 and 2010?
Didn't want him sacked in 06, thought we were building to something good.
Was very angry though, and thought the club did the right thing by reviewing his position and thought the fans did the right thing by getting very angry and putting pressure on the club.
Thought Collingwood were actually the better team in 10. It happens sometimes.
Thought Hawthorn came into the 08 finals and granny in better form TBH.
That said I still blame him a fair bit for 08.
The Varcoe guarantee the week before, Stokes.
If Bomber kept going after 10 I'm sure I'd want him sacked after a while. Heart wasn't in it.
I go for Geelong, not the Chris Scott club or Bomber Thompson club.

Goes both ways. The modern day club is entitled and spoilt.
Remember back in late 90's and 2000's how grateful they were for our memberships cause they needed them.
Now we are treated as wallets.

1 year wasn't long enough time for Chris to have a cultural impact on that team / club. He may have cleaned some structures up, sure. I'd give him that. Culture though, it can't be adjusted in such a short period, not when you have such a senior, influential and successful playing group. The problem right now IMO is cultural.

You had a group of senior players at that club in 2011 who had helped Bomber instill a culture of relentlessness, hard, uncompromising football. Youngsters coming in would have looked up to and wanted the acceptance of the likes of Scarlett, Milburn, Mooney, Chapman, Selwood etc, rather than a new coach. Chris Scott has slowly undone this. The problem right now is about culture, poor mentality in certain situations, negative subconscious thought / emotion. Hence I assure you the coaches would all be looking at the disgusting finals / post bye stats and scratching their heads.

In fact we saw in the early part of this season it was the NEW additions to the team who played with more spark and fire. Who we all hoped might perhaps get the old heads out of their ways. Seems not. Seems they've for the most part fallen into the ways of the existing senior players.

You simply cannot give Chris Scott credit for his ability to develop an ultimately successful team at AFL level. He's had some great tools to work with since 2011, has finished in finals more than any other coach, yet can't even get back to the big stage, let alone win one.

In a developmental respect, as a coach? Chris Scott is a failure.

Chris Scott is as much a failure in a developmental respect as you are a failure as a human being.

Besides, don't clubs have developmental coaches? It's THEIR job to develop the players, and provide CS with a team ready to implement his gameplan.

The poor culture is all on the coach. Did you 100% blame Bomber when the players had a poor attitude and there was a poor club culture in 2006?

And you know who turned around that poor culture- the players. They decided to pull their heads in, and start caring about how they played, rather than keep drinking their own bath water.

So maybe the current team need to look in the mirror, and take responsibility.

It is amazing how many of you are apologists and enablers for the players, and let them get away with performances like that and don't hold them at all responsible for their OWN decisions on field. You people ALWAYS blame the coach, and any poor playing performance is the coach's fault.

Is it CS's fault that overrated Tom Hawkins hasn't kicked a goal for three weeks, and is a Coleman Medal pretender, not a contender?

Is it CS's fault that players run into each other, miss easy shots at goal, or don't tackle?

Is it CS's fault that players don't think for themselves, and use some instinct? They are not damn robots.

Maybe it is our list which is s**t. Maybe we aren't a good enough team. Maybe you overrate our list.

Get this through your thick head. The great team from 2007-11 is gone. They were a once-in-a-generation team. We might not see another Geelong team as good as that for decades. Hell, why not expect the current team to be as good as the Invincibles from 1951-52 while you are at it.

Hey, get rid of Chris Scott. Then, when the next coach doesn't win a flag every year, he too will be hated on by whiny, entitled fans. And the next one, and the next one, until we find one who will win flags every year, and then give the coach 0 credit when they win one, but 100% blame for not winning one, like they are deliberately plotting against you.

How many coaches have to be sacked before you wake up and see that the players don't care. THEY are the ones not tackling in finals. We had a culture of mediocrity under Hafey, Devine, Blight, Ayres, and even Bomber in 2006. It can't always be everyone else's fault.

Maybe just maybe, some of the fault lies with the players, as well as whiny fans with unrealistic expectations, who are spoilt, and overrate the list, thinking every player on our current list is a superstar, and blaming the coach when he isn't, and not the recruiters, the development staff or others who may have also dropped the ball.

Too bad crappy fans can't be sacked, because you and others here would be out the door. The club would be better off without some of you supporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back