Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say we pass the hat around and commission a Tex Walker power stance statue - and place in front of the Crows new HQ.

Would be the ultimate troll because they couldn’t say “We don’t want it” due to Walker being their player...and it would remind everyone of how ridiculous that s**t was.

I think this statue issue is a matter of perspective. One may view a statue as a commemoration of an individual that has achieved great things relative to their peers. That's an incomplete perspective. Here's a couple more perspectives about statues - any reason will do to build a statue and usually the first campaigner to do something of note gets one made of them.

Last edited:
So if we stuck a statue up of a womens soccer player from the initial few years who'd played 22 games, how many of the girls you coached would be like wow that was worthy? None.

I do understand that and again, it's not worthy of a statue.

If you want a statue that is truly about what you are saying you'd have one of the first AFLW captain raising the cup. That's the moon landing statue for AFLW
In a pose that was iconic and had the discussion etc. around it?

All of them!

So long as Wee Licker has a room and Max Basheer has a stand named after them at Adelaide Oval, Tayla Harris could have a planet dedicated to her and it would still be more deserving.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Erin Phillips should have had a statue first. But not victorian so nah

... It's a perfect choice, particularly as the earlier one of her playing for Melbourne PRE-aFLW was also used as a launching pad for the league.

Image result for aflw tayla harris photo melbourne
I am with chiwigi on this one.

She has not become a statue because of who she is individually. Her statue is not a statue of her, but of women's footy. She was chosen to represent AFLW precisely because her kicking motion is iconic. In this case, the person who served as the model for the statue is less relevant than the work itself.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I can't believe that it has to be explained that the statue with that iconic pose isn't about the player, but the symbol and the message behind it.

The New Orleans Saints have a statue of a little known player named Steve Gleason outside the Superdome. He certainly wasn't a superstar.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
I can't believe that it has to be explained that the statue with that iconic pose isn't about the player, but the symbol and the message behind it. ....
Catching up on the last few pages I can't believe how many people just don't understand this.

The sponsor of AFLW has commissioned an artist to create a sculpture of what has become the most iconic image of the AFLW, the subject of which just happens to be Tayla Harris.

Queue outraged men.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I love the idea that in 50 years some little girl will look up at the statue and ask "Dad, who was Tayla Harris ?"

Her story is not obvious, she isn't the best known AFLW player; it represents a moment in time, in our history, that deserves to be captured and re-told

It's more fitting than a representation of a bloke who's remembered because of how many games he played or awards he received

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back