News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gets himself fitter (which i'm confident he'll do), and the hands will fix themselves. At the start of his bursts in the seniors, he clunking them (first quarter against Geelong for a good example), loses it the moment he tires.

I'd much rather the unknown right now. Playing Jenkins only sets us back now seeing this core is done. Would be a very Adelaide move to keep Jenkins though then face reality.

Though, i'm worried about your maths skills is the you think Tex is aging faster then Betts ;)

Oh I'd be confident too, Jenkins has played more than 100 games.

It'd be a very big indictment on how s**t someone is at contested marking if someone with 6 games has more of them then you.
Aging is a function of the players' ability to play at AFL level. Andy Otten aged much quicker than Shaun Burgoyne due to injury as Tex has over Eddie.

Himmelberg moves bloody well but the amount of times he gets to a contest and flat palms the ball drives me insane. Marking ability doesn't often improve as it's a technique of getting the hands and fingers in the right place.

Everyone on this board seems to think he will be like his brother, he won't be.

Aging is a function of the players' ability to play at AFL level. Andy Otten aged much quicker than Shaun Burgoyne due to injury as Tex has over Eddie.

Himmelberg moves bloody well but the amount of times he gets to a contest and flat palms the ball drives me insane. Marking ability doesn't often improve as it's a technique of getting the hands and fingers in the right place.

What do you suggest we do then? We cant trade him we invested too much to only get a 3rd rounder for him, he can play a role quite well we don't need him to be the next Carey

I disagree. Marking technique does improve and it's primarily fitness based which drives it (and of course, confidence, belief that you belong fixes a lot of s**t). Fitter you are - longer you last before your technique suffers due to mistakes creeping in. I would wager a lot of those mistakes are to do with that from seeing him in the SANFL a few times.

Beyond that, I wouldn't underestimate the impact getting a neutral result from a contest has, especially when outnumbered (in which the majority of Himmelbergs contests will be). This game is moving more and more into having high numbers of small forward in a forward line (West Coast, and Richmond have 4). That brings them into the game. It also brings your defense into the game more as it buys time to set up (in most scenarios).

Last edited:

Why should he have to take a pay cut. A contract is a contract . No way I’d take a pay cut if i was JJ. If he wants to play AFL, he’ll just have to pull his finger out
Isnt funny how we all talk about a contract not meaning anything. Players seem to be able to ignore their contracts when they want to change clubs but when it comes to holding the club to honour their contracts, usually about money. then we change our tone and say "a contract is a contract". Personally I believe that a contract is a contract.

He has kicked 40+ goals by fluke has he? There are so many on here that bag JJ, and he has plenty of faults, but name the forward/rucks in the league that are better than him. It's not a long list!!

Why do you think he’s so maligned?
Why do you think supporters and the coaching team are all lined up against him

What’s your thinking here

You are talking about supporters and not staff because 14 years of MacKay says no-one on list management or selection is thinking at all.
Every club has a David Mackay. Does the hard yards, does what’s asked of him but doesn’t stand out. No team has a 22 all star team.

We have a very aging Tex Walker, an aging Lynch and aging Betts. BUT we do have cement hands Himmelberg who everyone seems to love overlooking the fact he is a horrendous contested mark (he won't be his brother) FOG and then a list of midsized forwards.

I for one don't want us trading a 40+ goal forward for an unknown....but that's just me
I was at the sanfl game again last week and it struck me how much the berg brings other forewards into the game. His contested marking isn’t a strength but neither is it for JJ but at least you can be sure that he will contest and give second and third efforts. He is the opposite of lazy which means he’s the opposite of JJ. Also he’s played 6 AFL games! We don’t know what bergs ceiling is yet but we know that we will continue to be frustrated by Jj s squibs

Ok

Show me games of Berg taking contested marks under pressure and I will show you the some of Jenkins. I'm confident that I would have more examples
Probably because he's played 15 times more games.

Ironic you say the others are aging yet Jenkins is the oldest of our tall forwards.

Who is he?

Grew up playing at my cricket club. About 6 foot 5 plays midfield and has been averaging over 20 possies a game in the guts in the WAFL. If he plays forward he is behind Kennedy and Darling, if he is in the guts...he is behind a few. Is taller than CEY, a lot faster and is worth a punt as a DFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok

Show me games of Berg taking contested marks under pressure and I will show you the some of Jenkins. I'm confident that I would have more examples

Ok.

Show me games of Jenkins applying pressure and working hard off the ball for the whole game, and I'll show you some of Berg.

I'm confident you won't find a single example. Jenkins is one of the laziest players I have ever seen, it's just not in him at all. I'd love to think it's his second thought, but in truth is easy further down the line than that.

Look at the games we played with Berg in JJs position ... amazing what happens when you drop a bloke who thinks his role starts and ends with kicking goals from either 5m or 55m out ... and replace him with someone that fights to get to every contest and have an influence when he doesn't have the ball.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

We have a very aging Tex Walker, an aging Lynch and aging Betts. BUT we do have cement hands Himmelberg who everyone seems to love overlooking the fact he is a horrendous contested mark (he won't be his brother) FOG and then a list of midsized forwards.

I for one don't want us trading a 40+ goal forward for an unknown....but that's just me
I tend to agree with himmelberg. At first is was refreshing when he first came into the team because our usual big forwards just had no presence in an aerial contest. It was actually refreshing to have a big bloke with some courage and crashing packs. Now not so convinced however

Grew up playing at my cricket club. About 6 foot 5 plays midfield and has been averaging over 20 possies a game in the guts in the WAFL. If he plays forward he is behind Kennedy and Darling, if he is in the guts...he is behind a few. Is taller than CEY, a lot faster and is worth a punt as a DFA
Also, is only 21 and done a few pre seasons at West coast who's midfield is a s**t ton better than ours

Just have to direct Himmelberg to consider the goal square his playgroung and play 10m behind any opponent backman and I'm sure he could one day cover the loss, cement hands and all.

Why is contested marking even being discussed in all this? You are talking Jenkins yeah?
Jenkins is a much better contested mark than EH so far

The "unknown" may or may not work out. But what we do know for sure is that Jenkins is as likely to contribute to the next AFC premiership as James Sellar.
Makes for an easy decision.
History says that applies to our entire list

Is luke Partington worth a rookie punt? Remember watching him tear the wafl up over here now hes done the same to the sanfl. Any thoughts?

Not imo. More of the same for us, and is a dime a dozen at AFL level. Has minimal physical weapons that advantage him.

He's a gun footballer as far as the average Joe would be concerned, but he's not at the elite level required for AFL football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back