Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else worried by what * might do with picks 4 and 8? That’s a fair bit of ammunition and I don’t see them hitting the draft that hard. Wonder who they’re after?
[/QUOTE]
I'm not worried, they can do what they like, we will get the players we are after, and don't really care what anyone else does with their list or picks.

Been banging on for years as to just how important it is to have a competitive VFL team and it's no surprise that the same thing shows up year after year.
The better sides do well with both their teams - Their firsts and their seconds.

All the teams in the AFL finals had their VFL teams in the finals....except Collingwood, but to be fair they were very hard hit through injury.
North, StKilda, Carlton and Melbourne didn't have teams playing VFL finals.

One can argue that the better teams simply have the better depth, but I think it's more than that.
A well run VFL team fosters the better development and we haven't really had that in recent years.

Definitely a point. Our VFL side improved a lot on last year. I think the total rebuild of our list has hurt the VFL side massively and a lack of mature age fringe AFL talent in the side is the main issue here.

It should get better as our list ages and we bring in more talent.

What are the other potential fixes to this issue? Do we spend more money recruiting older mature age talent? I feel we have done this a bit, there are some good VFL listed players in that side? Unfortunately we carried a lot of Carlton listed players who really could not play at that level.

^^ before you go jumping on the sheep. The draft pick rules are apparently an issue because we are apparently after another decent player that may need a first involved.

The AFL have granted sides permission to break this rule before I believe. Geelong were given permission from the AFL at one stage I believe. I wonder if that will come into play.

I don't think it's too hard to see what the inclusion of Martin & Papley may bring about.
Our best team may look something like this -

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank.......Newman or Williamson may take over from Simpson as the year wears on.

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Walsh Setterfield SPS

Cuningham CCurnow Martin
Papley McKay McGovern...............Looks to be our most dangerous forward line on face value.

ECurnow Fisher Dow....................JSilvagni, Gibbons, O'Brien, Kennedy etc etc

Clearly, our best midfield will be decided through the pre-season and some 'names' may have to miss early on.
McKay may have to take up some ruck duties. Bad luck if he doesn't like rucking.

The AFL have granted sides permission to break this rule before I believe. Geelong were given permission from the AFL at one stage I believe. I wonder if that will come into play.
Yeah pretty sure Hawks or Geelong have been.

Can't see it being an issue for us if we asked with how hard we've got the draft in recent times.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is anyone else worried by what * might do with picks 4 and 8? That’s a fair bit of ammunition and I don’t see them hitting the draft that
Martin and Papley alone puts a lot of pressure on more than just Kennedy. Gibbons and Cuningham are going to be under the most pressure to break in if we add Martin, Papley and maybe Butler/Betts.

These inclusions also add some pressure to McGovern and Silvagni should we decide to restructure our forward line. I guess you could even say that with these inclusions and a fit best 22 even Casboult may be difficult to fit in.

DeLuca doesn't have a place in the side in the forward line either with those changes same with Lang. But we still need some depth.

It's going to get the depth closer to where it should be that's for sure but I can see us potentially offloading a player.

Fingers crossed pick 8 is enough for Papley and a future second is enough for Martin although I have felt he is probably worth two seconds or a late first.

Martin may not end up a full time fwd. Perhaps mid/fwd rotation.
Expect Lang will be the first casualty.
Don't see any knee jerk on Deluca, he has a year to show his capability.
Get a preseason into him, see how he goes.

If we bring in Martin, Papley and Butler I can't see much game time going forward for Matty Kennedy, should the club and himself look at involving him in the Martin trade? He'd get regular game time up there. Does Kennedy and one of our later picks get it done?

Kennedy's hands really impressed me, he was one touch and rarely fumbled. Really hoping we get him fit because I still think he can be a player!

Definitely a point. Our VFL side improved a lot on last year. I think the total rebuild of our list has hurt the VFL side massively and a lack of mature age fringe AFL talent in the side is the main issue here.
It should get better as our list ages and we bring in more talent.
What are the other potential fixes to this issue? Do we spend more money recruiting older mature age talent? I feel we have done this a bit, there are some good VFL listed players in that side? Unfortunately we carried a lot of Carlton listed players who really could not play at that level.

1. New Coach. This is being tended to.
2. Cohesion. The NB's has for too often come across as an 'Every man for himself' mob. Something isn't right.
3. The Northern Blues has to look for players that will make the squad better overall as there will always be injuries.
The recruitment of certain types is puzzling. Did we need two KPD's (Johnson & Collins) given we took on Goddard as a rookie, BSilvagni from the draft and still have Macreadie developing? Is almost as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I don't think it's too hard to see what the inclusion of Martin & Papley may bring about.
Our best team may look something like this -

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank.......Newman or Williamson may take over from Simpson as the year wears on.

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Walsh Setterfield SPS

Cuningham CCurnow Martin
Papley McKay McGovern...............Looks to be our most dangerous forward line on face value.

ECurnow Fisher Dow....................JSilvagni, Gibbons, O'Brien, Kennedy etc etc

Clearly, our best midfield will be decided through the pre-season and some 'names' may have to miss early on.
McKay may have to take up some ruck duties. Bad luck if he doesn't like rucking.
when that forward line has a season or two together, thats easily the most damaging forward line in the comp...

Yeah pretty sure Hawks or Geelong have been.

Can't see it being an issue for us if we asked with how hard we've got the draft in recent times.

I think if the AFL are content you aren't burning your picks and are going to use them well they will let you do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard from * member last night Daniher to Swans very likely. We are involved in the talks for Papley who wants to come home and to here. May have to involve players going out though due to leagues trading draft pick rules.

Can also confirm Ellis rumour of changing asking price and subsequently rebuffed. From my boss who is related to Ellis (15th cousin twice removed or something) and also a Richmond supporter. Apparently he was a done deal but thought he could milk us for more after Cogs re-signed. We said - do you have Dan Butlers number champ.
Is there a word missing between * and member here? Otherwise doesn't really mean much. You'd hope gil and his cronies would allow us to use our picks for trade, considering the amount of youth we have brought in. Who knows with that lot though.

Do like the Ellis part though.

Martin may not end up a full time fwd. Perhaps mid/fwd rotation.
Expect Lang will be the first casualty.
Don't see any knee jerk on Deluca, he has a year to show his capability.
Get a preseason into him, see how he goes.

Yep, pretty much agree on all of this. I think Martin will be a high half forward. Same role we saw Gibbons play towards the end of the season. It's basically a front running midfield role. One of the key components to it is being a really good field kick as often these guys get a lot of that difficult inside 50 kick and this is the weakness in Gibbons game in this role, not being damaging enough by foot. I see Martin as being ideal in this role and if he does play it that means his rotation position will be to go deep (forward pocket) for a bit.

I also think Papley is an ideal player in this role as well.

Both could quite easily fill both forward flank spots and it's up to us to find another small forward for the forward pocket. If we were to land Betts it would be him. As long as this player has elite closing speed and uses it to both close in on lose balls and to apply pressure they will do well.

I think Deluca could do with a big preseason and try and get his running to another level. I felt it was clear his running was not up to where the AFL players usually are. Just seemed to labor at times and struggle with second efforts. I think get his running up to another level and go for a midfield role which I believe there will be one. But in saying that we have plenty of young developing mids who should be pushing for that midfield spot and you can't write us off recruiting a ready made starting 18 mid as well this season so the heat will hopefully be on there as well.

I think if the AFL are content you aren't burning your picks and are going to use them well they will let you do it.

And yet the AFL allowed GCS to do the dumbest trade in history last season with multiple pick swaps with the Lions which are so one-sided it’s almost like it was intentionally done to harm GCS.

Basically Lions gave up Pick 13-18 (2019) for Pick 19 (2018) + Pick 19 (2019) + Pick 42 (2019).

Of course the AFL will step in and give assistance to GCS and they probably don’t mind the Lions getting a helping hand either. Conspiracy anyone?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is there a word missing between * and member here? Otherwise doesn't really mean much. You'd hope gil and his cronies would allow us to use our picks for trade, considering the amount of youth we have brought in. Who knows with that lot though.

Do like the Ellis part though.
Essendon is often referred to as * around these parts, jack. Keep up!

1. New Coach. This is being tended to.
2. Cohesion. The NB's has for too often come across as an 'Every man for himself' mob. Something isn't right.
3. The Northern Blues has to look for players that will make the squad better overall as there will always be injuries.
The recruitment of certain types is puzzling. Did we need two KPD's (Johnson & Collins) given we took on Goddard as a rookie, BSilvagni from the draft and still have Macreadie developing? Is almost as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I think also we need to give the AFL/VFL a tap on the should in regards to our fixture. We played a lot of Sunday games and this resulted in the best one or two fring players being carried as emergencies and not being able to play in either game. It happened a lot and it was costly IMO.

No doubt we must continue to recruit for the side. I think we have done ok here. Guys like Fisher and Anderson etc. Losing the Captain didn't help.

Could only assume we had no idea what we would get out of Silvagni and Macreadie who has been injured a lot.

It would be nice to add a few mature midfielders to the northern blues that's for sure. They seemed bare here. Especially with Wilson going down and Kennedy getting more AFL games. I think that was part of the reason behind getting DeLuca in but he became full time AFL as well.

I'm not sure who does the recruiting for them but if the coaching is up in the air still then that's not ideal. Hopefully this was sorted a good while back.

I think our natural list progression and increase in age will lift this side. I don't think it was too far away last year. Just a massive difference between its best and its worst .

Honestly think the Papley pick 8 deal will go down Jimbo, whether we like it or not.

Same, but I think there will be change, I’d say we give a 3rd and we get a 2nd or something like that, or we get Cameron, which will appease the supporters but would have cost FA anyway.

If they want Danniher and the Bombers push them hard, it reduces Sydney’s ability to play hard ball.

Is anyone else worried by what * might do with picks 4 and 8? That’s a fair bit of ammunition and I don’t see them hitting the draft that hard. Wonder who they’re after?

I don’t think it matters. Their list is rubbish they’d be better off doing somewhat of a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back