Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
We watched this space with Ryder, and got shafted
Admittedly, if Sydney was where he wanted, we have a pretty good history with GWS.

Not sure what sort of contract they could offer him though.
He's coming off 900k a year.

GWS wouldn't have the cap space to afford him, unless they traded out a very good player.

IF he goes, he's going to Sydney. Looks possible this has been in the works for quite awhile.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
It changed 2017 didn't it?

Let's see what Gibbs himself said:

"They [the officials] were obviously a bit shocked and took a bit of time to digest it. They didn't want me to go, but they respected my decision. They were happy to facilitate a trade, but it had to be the right one and they weren't going to go out of their way to get something done. "

"Through the whole process, there's been open and honest dialogue from me to the club and from the club back, and when it's like that, everyone's on the same page, and whatever it comes to, both parties know exactly what's going on and how to handle it, everyone's happy. When it came to me staying, there were phone calls straight away, catch-ups, and it was, 'righto, back to business as usual'. "

How did Dodoro handle Ryder?

Does Daniher want to stay?
Of course he would say something like that, he's just been told he is stuck there for another 12 months. What would you expect him to say?

Dodoro played hardball with Ryder because Port were only willing to cough up a pick in the 30s. They ended up giving up pick 16 and got an AA season out of him. Sure he missed a year but in the end the value was probably right

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The interest may not be from Sydney alone. Sure the bombers would prefer a auction if he has decided he wants out

Watch this space I reckon

Depends on where that interest is I suppose as by the sounds of it Daniher wants out of Melbourne, so interest from St Kilda or something is not going to mean much.

To be honest I am not sure I want him. I mean he may turn out to be a good pick up but his injuries have me concerned. I would much rather the Swans go after Grundy to be honest as he would fill a very real need.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
He's coming off 900k a year.

Had no idea he was being paid that much. Sydney would never pay that... Daniher is obviously entertaining interest tho. I'm curious what they're offering. Is getting away from Melbourne enticing to him?

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Of course he would say something like that, he's just been told he is stuck there for another 12 months. What would you expect him to say?

Dodoro played hardball with Ryder because Port were only willing to cough up a pick in the 30s. They ended up giving up pick 16 and got an AA season out of him. Sure he missed a year but in the end the value was probably right

So which should we believe? What an Essendon supporter on an online forum thinks Gibbs was purportedly thinking at the time? Or Gibbs' direct quotes in the media at the time?

Jog on.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
So which should we believe? What an Essendon supporter on an online forum thinks Gibbs was purportedly thinking at the time? Or Gibbs' direct quotes in the media at the time?

Jog on.
Which should we believe a Carlton supporter on an online forum who believes that Dodoro is the boogeyman because he was hard to deal with in a trade 5 years ago or should we look at facts?

Jog on

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Someone said the other day only 4 key forwards have ever got an AA at 23 or under.

Joey, buddy Riewoldt(Nick) and Cameron.

Is this actually true?

Pav was excluded as he did it as a key back.

Either way he has Shown a lot as a young key fwd. I haven’t heard of many players “never being the same again” from op in 20 years.

from a dons perspective I would only trade him for way overs. He’s only a RFA next year so would just match or do a dangereske trade as a Worse case.

Sydney may not want to take that risk but they can just wait out and hope to get cheaper next year.
Lance Whitnall was AA at 21 in 2000.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Which should we believe a Carlton supporter on an online forum who believes that Dodoro is the boogeyman because he was hard to deal with in a trade 5 years ago or should we look at facts?

Jog on

Difference is I'm quoting directly from primary sources.

"Ryder’s management threatened to take the Bombers to the AFL’s grievance tribunal and as far as the Supreme Court if Essendon failed to cut him loose yesterday, even though he had two years remaining on a four-year contract. The ruckman had cited the emotional toll on his family of Essendon’s long-running supplements scandal as his reason for wanting to leave. Had the Bombers not traded him, he would have pushed for a breach of contract to be classed as a delisted free agent. "

Kinda, sorta, maybe, kinda sounds like he wanted out. So another poster using Gibbs, who was happy to stay, isn't really a relevant comparison.

..and my first post this morning was in response to someone "surprised" someone else mentioned Dodoro is hard to deal with.

Ha.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
To be honest I am not sure I want him. I mean he may turn out to be a good pick up but his injuries have me concerned. I would much rather the Swans go after Grundy to be honest as he would fill a very real need.
He suits the Sydney mould though. With Franklin approaching the end, it makes sense that Swans would throw money at a young KPF.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Unsure why any club would pay massive for him, he hasn't really put together a season yet

If he names Sydney that would be a little odd after the big denials earlier in the season

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone said the other day only 4 key forwards have ever got an AA at 23 or under.

Joey, buddy Riewoldt(Nick) and Cameron.

Is this actually true?

Pav was excluded as he did it as a key back.

Either way he has Shown a lot as a young key fwd. I haven’t heard of many players “never being the same again” from op in 20 years.

from a dons perspective I would only trade him for way overs. He’s only a RFA next year so would just match or do a dangereske trade as a Worse case.

Sydney may not want to take that risk but they can just wait out and hope to get cheaper next year.
That was me, AA + B&F by 23 last 20 years. Exalted company.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Unsure why any club would pay massive for him, he hasn't really put together a season yet

If he names Sydney that would be a little odd after the big denials earlier in the season

Kicked 60+ as a 23yo beanpole Forward-Ruck. That’s a reasonable year I’d say especially having kicked 43 the year before as a stick insect 22yo Forward-Ruck in a team that missed most of its best players.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Port had to give up our first AND second round picks (16 + 35) for Ryder after being told there was 0 chance of him being suspended for a year.

Should never have tried to deal with Dodoro, complete highway robbery.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He suits the Sydney mould though. With Franklin approaching the end, it makes sense that Swans would throw money at a young KPF.

True, but it is our midfield and rucks that really need improvement and is the thing that was holding us back in 2019. Our defence and forward line is not bad, but our midfield gets bullied and beaten far too easily and far too often. Daniher is not going to fix that.

Don't get me wrong, I think he can be a very good player if he gets his body right, but it is a big if, and right now he doesn't fill a specific need.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon Receive: Pick 4 and Tom McCartin
Sydney Receive: Joe Daniher and Picks 29 and 45

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Difference is I'm quoting directly from primary sources.

"Ryder’s management threatened to take the Bombers to the AFL’s grievance tribunal and as far as the Supreme Court if Essendon failed to cut him loose yesterday, even though he had two years remaining on a four-year contract. The ruckman had cited the emotional toll on his family of Essendon’s long-running supplements scandal as his reason for wanting to leave. Had the Bombers not traded him, he would have pushed for a breach of contract to be classed as a delisted free agent. "

Kinda, sorta, maybe, kinda sounds like he wanted out. So another poster using Gibbs, who was happy to stay, isn't really a relevant comparison.

..and my first post this morning was in response to someone "surprised" someone else mentioned Dodoro is hard to deal with.

Ha.
I'm sure if I had the time and energy I could copy and paste too. Judging by the highlighted nonsensical ramblings perhaps copy and paste is more your speed?

Once again, not surprised, if you go back a couple pages I predicted it happening.

Anyway I'm done with this exchange we're clogging up the thread, hope SOS continues being the messiah for you and continues to bring in accomplished players like Billie Smedts, Darcy Lang, Alex Fasolo and various GWS NEAFL players. With any luck he might get you to the lofty heights of a top 14 spot in the not too distant future.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Port had to give up our first AND second round picks (16 + 35) for Ryder after being told there was 0 chance of him being suspended for a year.

Should never have tried to deal with Dodoro, complete highway robbery.
You got 3 great seasons out of him including one AA, surely you can't be too unhappy with that. If you believe it's highway robbery maybe question your own backyard.

EDIT: Plus throwing in the fact it was a pretty ordinary draft, I'd say you almost won the trade. We Drafted Kyle Langford with the 1st pick and on traded the 2nd for Adam Cooney

Back