mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Good, not great. Pain me to say it as a Coburg fan but he needs to go elsewhere and be in their system if he's to be drafted. Same with Luke Bunker.
I was hoping the eagles might draft him as midfield/forward depth
Would he be the type to step up if given the chance?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was hoping the eagles might draft him as midfield/forward depth
Would he be the type to step up if given the chance?

I think he'd be AFL standard heading into 2021 but not the immediate impact mature ager, if that makes sense?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon fans who see about 3 VFL games asking about Heppell every year is always painful.
I’ve watched him play for years actually. There are plenty of players in the afl system who don’t have outstanding afl attributes but are just pure footballers and competitors, which allows them to play at the level. Heppell isn’t the most skilled or has the most talent, but you could rely on him to come in and play his role and always give 100% in the contest.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Chances of the following players being drafted?

Tom Gribble
Jake Riccardi
Frank Anderson
Lochie Dickson
Sam Lowson

I'm asking because Gribble won the JJ Liston trophy and Riccardi won the VFL Rising star award, whilst Lowson, Anderson and Dickson were all linked with multiple clubs during the mid-season draft.

Last edited:

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Their is some talent that clubs should invite over the summer some have played VFL some u18 Jonah Siverson Backman , Sean Downie Mid, Billy Quigley Half Back, Sam Fowler Midfwd, Sam Guerts mid, Ethan Johnstone small fwd, Dane Kozikas-Leyden tall wing all should get an invite somewhere...

Chances of the following players being drafted?

Tom Gribble
Jake Riccardi
Frank Anderson
Lochie Dickson
Sam Lowson

I'm asking because Gribble won the JJ Liston trophy and Riccardi won the VFL Rising star award, whilst Lowson, Anderson and Dickson were all linked with multiple clubs during the mid-season draft.
Gribble unlikely. Just a tad too late.
Riccardi will. 100%.
Anderson is a likely type but has limitations. Probably will though.
Dickson is a maybe, second half of the year was average.
Lowson unlikely at this stage, doesn't run out games well enough.

Would the following be any chance of returning/being drafted to AFL?

Luke Partington
Lewis Johnston
Sam Colquhoun
Liam McBean
Luke Reynolds
James Rowe

Would say that Rowe and Partington are the only two that would be realistic.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Would the following be any chance of returning/being drafted to AFL?

Luke Partington
Lewis Johnston
Sam Colquhoun
Liam McBean
Luke Reynolds
James Rowe

Would say that Rowe and Partington are the only two that would be realistic.

Partington should get another crack
Johnston is the epitome of too good for state level, not good enough for AFL level
McBean is a has been
Colquhon is too small to play the role he does well at state level.
Reynolds is time bomb. Never know what you will get.
James Rowe could be ok but appears to small. Combine results would be interesting.

WAFL guys that stand out:

Jackson Ramsay
Mason Shaw
Ben Sokol
Ryan Borchett
Jeremy Goddard

There's also your Bolton's and your Schloithe's but I think their horse has bolted. Same probably applies for Ramsay and Shaw but the other three would be interesting.

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
Top 5 WAFL mature agers:

Jackson Ramsay - 24, inside/outside midfielder - East Perth. 184cm/83kg. Ex-Collingwood player, was baffled when he was delisted. Injured last season but looked a class above this season. Averaged 30 disposals at 69% (3rd best efficiency of players in the top 15 for disposals), 13 contested possessions, 5.6 tackles per game. Still has a lot to offer an AFL club.

Bailey Rogers - 22, general defender - Claremont. 185cm/82kg. Elite rebounding defender with fantastic kicking skills. Good evasiveness and quick breakaway speed, is the prototype modern defensive half 'attacking' player.

Dylan Main - 24, outside mid/3rd tall forward - South Fremantle. 190cm/85kg. Former listed Eagle turned SF captain re-invented himself as a leading target up forward, kicking 22.12 and having 19 score assists during the season. Capable of playing as both an inside and outside midfielder, and has the 1-on-1 contested marking and leap of a much taller player.

Tyler Keitel - 23, key forward/ruck - West Perth. 196cm/91kg. Highly touted in his draft year but went undrafted despite kicking 77 in 33 colts games in two seasons. Only kicked 25.13 in 16 games, down from 50.39 in 22 last season and 46.44 from 21 in 2017, however spent a lot of time in the ruck due to WP's lack of ruck depth and showed his versatility and large fitness base. One to watch.

Nicolas Reid - 24 - general forward - West Coast. 188cm/86kg. Wouldn't be surprised to see WC quietly rookie list him after kicking an under the radar 20.26 and 17 score assists in 14 games. Missed the first final due to concussion, and kicked 3.1 in the 1st semi loss to Claremont. Great goal sense and footy IQ although can be greedy and kicking can be wayward at times. Often outshone his AFL-listed teammates.

Players like George Hampson (SD), Haiden Schloithe (SF), and Jye Bolton (C) are still clearly better than a lot of players on AFL lists but I think their age hampers them. Ben Sokol (S) should get drafted but I think he's a little undersized to play the same role he does at WAFL level in the AFL. Jeremy Goddard (C) is great at winning hitouts but struggles to direct them towards teammates and his work around the ground leaves a lot to be desired.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Top 5 WAFL mature agers:

Jackson Ramsay - 24, inside/outside midfielder - East Perth. 184cm/83kg. Ex-Collingwood player, was baffled when he was delisted. Injured last season but looked a class above this season. Averaged 30 disposals at 69% (3rd best efficiency of players in the top 15 for disposals), 13 contested possessions, 5.6 tackles per game. Still has a lot to offer an AFL club.

Bailey Rogers - 22, general defender - Claremont. 185cm/82kg. Elite rebounding defender with fantastic kicking skills. Good evasiveness and quick breakaway speed, is the prototype modern defensive half 'attacking' player.

Dylan Main - 24, outside mid/3rd tall forward - South Fremantle. 190cm/85kg. Former listed Eagle turned SF captain re-invented himself as a leading target up forward, kicking 22.12 and having 19 score assists during the season. Capable of playing as both an inside and outside midfielder, and has the 1-on-1 contested marking and leap of a much taller player.

Tyler Keitel - 23, key forward/ruck - West Perth. 196cm/91kg. Highly touted in his draft year but went undrafted despite kicking 77 in 33 colts games in two seasons. Only kicked 25.13 in 16 games, down from 50.39 in 22 last season and 46.44 from 21 in 2017, however spent a lot of time in the ruck due to WP's lack of ruck depth and showed his versatility and large fitness base. One to watch.

Nicolas Reid - 24 - general forward - West Coast. 188cm/86kg. Wouldn't be surprised to see WC quietly rookie list him after kicking an under the radar 20.26 and 17 score assists in 14 games. Missed the first final due to concussion, and kicked 3.1 in the 1st semi loss to Claremont. Great goal sense and footy IQ although can be greedy and kicking can be wayward at times. Often outshone his AFL-listed teammates.

Players like George Hampson (SD), Haiden Schloithe (SF), and Jye Bolton (C) are still clearly better than a lot of players on AFL lists but I think their age hampers them. Ben Sokol (S) should get drafted but I think he's a little undersized to play the same role he does at WAFL level in the AFL. Jeremy Goddard (C) is great at winning hitouts but struggles to direct them towards teammates and his work around the ground leaves a lot to be desired.
What do you think of fisher ,the top up player from the eagles wafl team?looks like he belongs out there and possibly even good enough to make the next step?

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
What do you think of fisher ,the top up player from the eagles wafl team?looks like he belongs out there and possibly even good enough to make the next step?

I'm a big Andrew Fisher fan but he's 28 and there's no improvement left in him. Doesn't have transferrable skills to the highest level when the pace picks up. More than capable at state league level though, a little disappointed (selfishly) that it's taken him this long to play in the WAFL.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
I’d be a little bit disappointed if we didn’t draft Riccardi. If we keep our second rounder I’d be quite happy to use it on him.
I would imagine few teams will be in for Riccardi from pick 20's onwards

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Always a chance, especially with the lack of talls in this year’s crop. Stranger things have happened though. Was stiff not to be picked up mid season.
Very true with a bit of a weaker draft and slight premium on trades, I think we will see more mature aged players picked up this year....

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How did clubs overlook Riccardi in the mid-season draft? Someone is going to cough up a good pick for him now.

Top 5 WAFL mature agers:

No Mason Shaw?
How did clubs overlook Riccardi in the mid-season draft? Someone is going to cough up a good pick for him now.
I'm still unsure how he and Hibberd weren't picked up.

WAFL guys that stand out:

Jackson Ramsay
Mason Shaw
Ben Sokol
Ryan Borchett
Jeremy Goddard

There's also your Bolton's and your Schloithe's but I think their horse has bolted. Same probably applies for Ramsay and Shaw but the other three would be interesting.

I still can't quite figure out why Sokol hasn't been drafted.

Medium forward with a high work rate, can kick a bag. If we've learnt anything from Tory Dickson and Sam Lloyd it's that this sort of player transfers pretty well to AFL level.

He's a good player for sure but he's done nothing different this season than the past three and he hasn't got picked up. Don't see it happening. Thought he deserved more of a shot at Port his first go around though.
Hard not to like a bloke who's kicked 196 goals in 4 years. I'd love him, especially if Daniher leaves (which I'm unsure about).

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've always liked Shaw even in his pre-draft days, but he does have his limitations. Kicks goals no problem at state league level, but just see him being a bit one dimensional for AFL defenders and structurally tends to just play deep and isn't overly influential in terms of pressure or getting up the field to provide an out. I would be happy to see him get another shot at it though - Mitch Brown and Josh Schache have done well to show that success as a "conditional" key forward can be achieved if you're in a suitable structure and I feel he's on a similar level of talent.

Sokol should be drafted, in recent times even with the success of Dickson & Membrey there's probably been a bit of a stigma about medium marking forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back