Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the bloke who last year told us we were 100% getting Gaff then changed to Shiel. He threw a couple darts and hit with one. A couple weeks ago he said Jack Martin would be nominating us. Just a troll
Uh, he was saying Shiel all year actually.

I really like what Jake Riccardi could become. 20/21 year old power marking forward. Would happily select in the second round so we don’t miss out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Won’t go inside top 60. Would be silly to burn a pick in the 30s on him when we could get Stephens etc at that pick

Jeez, quit your whining. He had two pieces of information. One turned out correctly, the other incorrectly. Just feels really petty honestly.
And the Jack Martin a few weeks ago? Having a look at other posts around that time he also said Wallis to Brisbane deal was done. He's just throwing darts!

I just don't want everyone to get sucked in by bullsh*t like last year

Stringer was a headcase, Jake would be great for a young Peppy.
Stringer did a morally reprehensible thing whilst being a mercurial forward that wasn't a thug. SPP has a lot more aggressive tendencies than Jake. I'd rather get Hibberd, who I am an unabashed fan of, as a draftee, than SPP in a trade.

And the Jack Martin a few weeks ago? Having a look at other posts around that time he also said Wallis to Brisbane deal was done. He's just throwing darts!

I'm certainly not. I'm always one to wait until media confirmation. If it happens badly again then people won't believe him next year. We're not as gullible as the Hawthorne lot.

Stringer did a morally reprehensible thing whilst being a mercurial forward that wasn't a thug. SPP has a lot more aggressive tendencies than Jake. I'd rather get Hibberd, who I am an unabashed fan of, as a draftee, than SPP in a trade.

We could get both, I'd kill to have a Robinson or Green in our line up, SPP is potentially that guy.

We need someone people hate someone who get's the crowd involved, He may be a bit of a thug or a campaigner but he'd be our campaigner, Worth the risk. (If it even is a risk)

click username --> ignore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could get both, I'd kill to have a Robinson or Green in our line up, SPP is potentially that guy.

We need someone people hate someone who get's the crowd involved, He may be a bit of a thug or a campaigner but he'd be our campaigner, Worth the risk. (If it even is a risk)
I'd love that as well, but SPP is a bit more than Robbo or Green IMO.

SPP + Hibberd would go some way to giving us some size on-ball to release Shiel / Merrett / Smith / McGrath. Not sure how we fit everyone in but I think Langford on-ball isn't the same class as SPP or Hibberd even though he's a good size, push Merrett & Heppell to play a more outside role perhaps.

Both are borderline best-22 players. Hibberd's role wouldn't be to release Shiel and Merrett but to provide blocks and protection, tackle hard, and limit the ability of other big-bodied midfielders to get their hands on the ball. Shiel and Merrett would still be our primary inside midfielders.

It is worth remembering that Myers is dominant at VFL level. And yet Myers was completely cooked at AFL level. Langford lookes like a million bucks at VFL level. There is no certainty that Hibberd will be an effective inside midfielder at AFL level and the likelihood that he is good enough to push Shiel or Merrett to the outside is relatively slim. None of that is to say that we shouldn't target him, particularly if we view him as the best young big bodied mid outside the AFL, but we should temper our expectations.

As for SPP, he just isn't a very good footballer and hasn't improved much since his first season. His disposal borders on atrocious and for a 'hard nut' he doesn't win a whole heap of contested footy or clearances. Add in being a complete headcase and he doesn't strike me as a smart pick-up.

Morally reprehensible is in the pocket of the school blazer of the beholder

As for SPP, he just isn't a very good footballer and hasn't improved much since his first season. His disposal borders on atrocious and for a 'hard nut' he doesn't win a whole heap of contested footy or clearances. Add in being a complete headcase and he doesn't strike me as a smart pick-up.
You could of said this about Mitch Robinson's first few years at Carlton, now he is one of the first players picked when Brisbane does the team for each weekend.

You could of said this about Mitch Robinson's first few years at Carlton, now he is one of the first players picked when Brisbane does the team for each weekend.

Yeah, when Brisbane picked up Robinson I think people were like, "Good luck with that."

We do need to take a risk because what we have currently isn't working.

Both are borderline best-22 players. Hibberd's role wouldn't be to release Shiel and Merrett but to provide blocks and protection, tackle hard, and limit the ability of other big-bodied midfielders to get their hands on the ball. Shiel and Merrett would still be our primary inside midfielders.

It is worth remembering that Myers is dominant at VFL level. And yet Myers was completely cooked at AFL level. Langford lookes like a million bucks at VFL level. There is no certainty that Hibberd will be an effective inside midfielder at AFL level and the likelihood that he is good enough to push Shiel or Merrett to the outside is relatively slim. None of that is to say that we shouldn't target him, particularly if we view him as the best young big bodied mid outside the AFL, but we should temper our expectations.

By release I didn't necessarily mean take their inside role entirely; but to be able to do the grunt work to clear space - either winning first possession and feeding it to those guys by hand or using their size to make space around the ball. Something I think Dylan Clarke could also provide mind you. We have outside class floating around but don't use them well when you have guys like Merrett and Shiel trying to win the ball in close and not working in to space, Shiel at least has the acceleration to find space, Merrett doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back