News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not a watcher of the Bounce or listen to the radio so I don't really know his normal self but to me he seemed normal. As someone else said, he had probably come to terms with his decision at this point. I think when he said you wouldn't want to know what my birthday wish is was poignant and I think it showed he had plans sadly.

Looking at Bounce episiode first time in the aftermath within 24 hours of the notice he did look a little troubled in the eyes. Now it is easier to state that now with the power of hindsight with a little bit more supporting information.

I am no expert but given the fact he missed his Sunday Birthday, and Monday appointment some of the speculation of some posters about hidden meanings of some comments he made about his responses on Bounce may have indeed have weight/credence.

It looks to me (my opinion)as though he felt boxed in and couldn't find a solution from telling anyone. In his own mind he must have thought talking about it was not going to solve the problem so he had no way out. To me it must have been financial worries about this supposed investment that was going bad and fear of the unknown. Probably felt responsible, ashamed and was deft of solutions in his own mind how to escape the peril when arguable suicide would make things worse regarding a capable resolution apart from everybody not wanting Danny to go and missing his presence.

Does anyone know whether he spoke with an independent financial expert on his issues and what methods of resolution where possible?? I would have thought there would have to be a way out long term if he consulted with someone who really knew what they where doing!! Maybe he did not know who to turn to in this area he could trust!! If his investment went bad obviously he would have trust issues from those involved in an area he must not have had the highest level of expertise in!!

To me although Danny seemingly did the final act what really killed him was the financial situation caused by this bad investment where Danny could not comprehend how to get out of it without despair on to others. Especially given he loved and cared for the welfare of others and their well being having the opposite happen from this investment going bad causing others pain is something he probably could not digest and did not know how to resolve and help the people that where adversely affected including himself!!

Last edited:
Looking at Bounce episiode first time in the aftermath within 24 hours of the notice he did look a little troubled in the eyes. Now it is easier to state that now with the power of hindsight with a little bit more supporting information.

I am no expert but given the fact he missed his Sunday Birthday, and Monday appointment some of the speculation of some posters about hidden meanings of some comments he made about his responses on Bounce may have indeed have weight/credence.

It looks to me (my opinion)as though he felt boxed in and couldn't find a solution from telling anyone. In his own mind he must have thought talking about it was not going to solve the problem so he had no way out. To me it must have been financial worries about this supposed investment that was going bad and fear of the unknown. Probably felt responsible, ashamed and was deft of solutions in his own mind how to escape the peril when arguable suicide would make things worse regarding a capable resolution apart from everybody not wanting Danny to go and missing his presence.

Does anyone know whether he spoke with an independent financial expert on his issues and what methods of resolution where possible?? I would have thought there would have to be a way out long term if he consulted with someone who really knew what they where doing!! Maybe he did not know who to turn to in this area he could trust!! If his investment went bad obviously he would have trust issues from those involved in an area he must not have had the highest level of expertise in!!

To me although Danny seemingly did the final act what really killed him was the financial situation caused by this bad investment where Danny could not comprehend how to get out of it without despair on to others. Especially given he loved and cared for the welfare of others and their well being having the opposite happen from this investment going bad causing others pain is something he probably could not digest and did not know how to resolve and help the people that where adversely affected including himself!!

Sadly something like this leaves everyone riddled with questions they will never really know the answer to. It's the worst of untimely deaths because we all feel it could have been prevented somehow, but what's done is done.

I read something yesterday where Michael Roberts said the beginning of his downfall was his departure from MMM. Not sure what happened there, but I believe it all began with the Barry Hall comments on Leigh Montagna's wife. Now I'm not going to start blaming people, but this is where theses attacks on people by the media and do-gooders lynch mob types can destroy a person. A simple apology should suffice, but I remember that rubbish being in the news for months, calling for the sacking of everyone in the conversation and an absolute berating of them.

Again, not blaming this incident in it's entirety on what happened to Danny, but this is where people need to be careful on how hard they demonize someone after they do make a silly comment or do something that may offend.

I think that can also apply to players that make silly errors, I know we all get frustrated at glaring skill errors but it musten be good for the player's mental health to be faced with the social media backlash that often happens afterwards.

I think that can also apply to players that make silly errors, I know we all get frustrated at glaring skill errors but it musten be good for the player's mental health to be faced with the social media backlash that often happens afterwards.

s**t like this makes it clear we should go easy on each other, you never know what demons people are facing and how far you are pushing them.

You should go easy on people who are trying to make sense of all this too, a lot of people would have never dealt with something like this before and it is very confronting.

s**t like this makes it clear we should go easy on each other, you never know what demons people are facing and how far you are pushing them.

You should go easy on people who are trying to make sense of all this too, a lot of people would have never dealt with something like this before and it is very confronting.
Even I have got rid of social media and Im no one. Its s**t. Pointless. You could imagine the stuff you read if you were half famous.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Closest I got to meeting Spud and Chief was sending an email in to Bounce (around 2010/2011) which was then read out by the boys (a few helpful suggestions for Yesterdays Heroes) and being called a smart alec for my trouble. Proud moment, and I wish I still had the recording.

Not sure this speculation is needed. For me losing Danny over money ,well to me that's just nonsense, that type of thing can be solved. Something very deep and that should have been forced out, wasn't!
But its too late.

Must have been a huge investment gone wrong. I can only assume AFL media like him would be on min.$200k a year so (in my head) he could of lived comfortably anyway.

It eats away at you. It sucks.

Money huh

I think it was a perfect storm given his past history of mental health problems. It seems he viewed himself as a failure as a player and coach because he never won a premiership. Then once he left triple m and became pretty anonymous on SEN, maybe he felt he had failed in the media too. Once his money and marriage had gone, it probably fell apart totally and left him thinking he could do nothing right sadly.

Just watched the first few minutes of Bounce. That line when he's blowing out his birthday cake is heart wrenching. Please seek help when you need it.

Our brain is wired for survival, not the reverse. Suicide is an unnatural act and that's what makes it so confronting and difficult to understand. Maybe a medical intervention could have got him through the downward cycle, maybe not. For anyone struggling to make sense of it, the following scientific article may help. The title of the article is a bit scary but the content isn't. It even explains why suicide rates are highest on Mondays, following disappointment. In DF's case, an acute level of disappointment he may have experienced due to his inability to attend planned birthday celebrations with family and friends.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...-what-it-feels-like-to-want-to-kill-yourself/

I think it was a perfect storm given his past history of mental health problems. It seems he viewed himself as a failure as a player and coach because he never won a premiership. Then once he left triple m and became pretty anonymous on SEN, maybe he felt he had failed in the media too. Once his money and marriage had gone, it probably fell apart totally and left him thinking he could do nothing right sadly.

The higher you climb the harder you fall I suppose. The stupid thing is nobody else thought that, he was a highly successful man. I wish I have done just one of the many things he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think?

I thought the complete opposite. Yes he had a laugh but his body language and his general demeanour looked very off.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I'm with you. I thought he seemed withdrawn, preoccupied and nowhere near as enthusiastic or as energetic as he normally did. You could tell by the way he talked, in hindsight that something seemed off.

It was likely suicide but we'll really never know because as someone else mentioned somewhere a big roo might have run in front of him and there are no witnesses

It was likely suicide but we'll really never know because as someone else mentioned somewhere a big roo might have run in front of him and there are no witnesses
The roo scenario is highly unlikely. As an old school country boy he would've been taught in his youth and known full well that if an animal of any sort runs out in front of your vehicle you do not alter your path whatsoever - as unsettling as it may be.

Must have been a huge investment gone wrong. I can only assume AFL media like him would be on min.$200k a year so (in my head) he could of lived comfortably anyway.

It eats away at you. It sucks.

Money huh

If you're looking for reasons, money, relationships, etc, may be involved, or not. Depression doesn't need a reason. It's a mindset that is oblivious to logic, a feeling of worthlessness and hopelessness. Which is why it still happens in spite of all the good intentions and efforts of family, friends and psychiatrists.

Look up confirmation bias. You missed the rest of what was said because of what you wanted to hear. Your post refers to things that didn't happen on the show and you have been called on it. As i said it is bad enough without people making things up.

Most people knew what it was from the time Tony Shaw spoke on 3aw that evening not because of a bunch of amateur Psychologists mishearing things on a show.

Yep - Shaw blabbed within minutes of the name being released.

The roo scenario is highly unlikely. As an old school country boy he would've been taught in his youth and known full well that if an animal of any sort runs out in front of your vehicle you do not alter your path whatsoever - as unsettling as it may be.
Especially when he's driving a ute with a bullbar designed for the farm, not a 90s 2 seater micro-sedan. The only possibility for a roo is if he wasn't paying attention to the road (on phone or falling asleep) and upon looking up an animal being on the road has startled him and he's over-corrected.

I won't comment on the tree.

Like all of us no doubt this whole story has churned me up these last few days. Have spent a lot of time reflecting. It's hard to comment on and know what to say and where to draw a line

Danny Frawley had a presence in his media work to make you feel you knew his and knew him with great affection. He had the gift of touching us and thats why his loss hits us so hard when we didnt know him personally. You also look at his life and admire so many of the things he did. Clearly he had demons as well haunting him. The suicide crisis in our world takes too many, we dont even know if the things we suggest on these pages do make any difference.

One thing that keeps coming back to me is good people make bad decisions. I would love that message to get across to people suffering like Danny did and for them to see that ending it isnt the solution. If Danny could look down and see what his family is going to go through now, next week, next month, next year, next decade he would change his mind. How to get that message across before it is too late. RIP Danny but what you did wasnt the solution.

All the best to his wife and girls. They will need all the support they can get.

Just seemed not very engaged, particularly with the birthday cake bit.
He has acted a little subdued (like he was in the birthday cake bit) in the past many times before and then picks up the energy levels for whatever the next segment is, and this was the case here too. He was very lively and full of humor for the rest of the show just like normal.

Having said all that - when Dunstall was closing out the show Frawley cuts into the camera frame with a big smile on his face and waving to the audience. It's easy to say that it was just a silly, humorous little moment that Spud was known for doing a lot on the show, but with hindsight in mind looking back at that moment it seemed like Spud was subtlety saying 'goodbye' to everybody.

Check out the 26:00 mark

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/bounce/bounce-070919!745931

I barely heard him at all on SEN this year. I think I heard him on the Macquarie football station call once this year and thought, they really pushed Spud all the way down to Macquarie radio?

Jeez Chief and Wolf look as you’d expect them to. s**t this is so bloody sad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back