News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
He hasn't shown a lot at AFL level as yet but he has also been played out of position, dumped in/out of the side, and getting limited minutes.

Seems to be the way we treat youngsters until they 'pay their dues' as Talia said.

As Birdbrain would say it builds 'resilience' in players like Stengle yo-yoing him in/out of the side.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Situational Awareness and Decision Making on the other hand...
Aha our poster that admits he watches little SANFL football....if you did you would have seen he's made giant strides this year in both his composure and decision making.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Aha our poster that admits he watches little SANFL football....if you did you would have seen he's made giant strides this year in both his composure and decision making.
He would want to have - both those facets were truly awful when he was playing AFL in 2018.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Myles & Gooch have been the main 2 who have suffered from our selection continuity policy.

If we moved these guys on without giving them a proper go (particularly Myles) i would be annoyed.

He seems to get a chance and then we drop him the week after, he needs a decent block of games to get settled in.
Dots played 9 games in 2018, from R5 to R16. He was awful. He had a chance, and failed badly. Now he needs to prove that he deserves a 2nd chance. SANFL reports indicate that he's probably done just that.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dots played 9 games in 2018, from R5 to R16. He was awful. He had a chance, and failed badly. Now he needs to prove that he deserves a 2nd chance. SANFL reports indicate that he's probably done just that.
Do you think he was played correctly?
I don't.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Pick 62 2015 - 0 AFL games
I know Matty Allen quite well. A ripping lad.

Has he actually been delisted? He might get another contract yet. Whilst he hasn't made his debut, he has been on the emergency list consistently. He's very close.
Unfortunately for him he started his WC career as a key forward (think Fog. Similar size, not as quick but a bit more agile) and was stuck behind two gun Key forwards. They then also added Oscar Allen so he was going to struggle there.
This year he has transitioned to a mid - which many hoped he could when he was drafted. Has done pretty well in that role, but stuck behind one of the best midfields in the AFL.

Not sure he is likely to be a full-time mid at AFL level (speed issues I think will cost him), but if he came free, you would definitely consider it. Especially if we lose players like CEY, a Crouch or even Poholke. At 21 he still has time to develop.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was played out of position in the 2 games he played this year. He was given every opportunity to impress in 2018... and he failed miserably to do so.
Do you think we have given him every chance to succeed?
Think he deserves some more chances to improve and work on his game.
We give it to every other plodder in our best 22.

And Myles is young he is improving, don't believe we have seen his ceiling.

if we want to develop players and kids this attidude of "he's played 9 games and was awful" is why our culture sucks.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
All of that might be the eventual outcome but I'd suggest you really haven't watched Poholke closely this season or indeed ever because he most certainly DOES NOT lack pace as you stated.
Yes I have watched him very closely as I want our team to get better quickly. Any player that can aid in that process needs to be played. The problem with Myles for mine is his disposal, awareness, speed of release and creativity with the ball. He reminds me of Mitch Grigg in that he kills it at sanfl and does very little at Afl. Our midfield is treacle slow. We need mids with blistering pace to make up for this shortfall. Jones is perfect to rectify this imbalance. I just don't see anything from Myles. For mine it was not a good draft for Ogilvie.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Do you think we have given him every chance to succeed?
Think he deserves some more chances to improve and work on his game.
We give it to every other plodder in our best 22.

And Myles is young he is improving, don't believe we have seen his ceiling.

if we want to develop players and kids this attidude of "he's played 9 games and was awful" is why our culture sucks.
You asked if I thought he was played correctly. During those 9 games in 2018 he was.

If you wish to move the goal posts, asking whether he deserves another chance, then I refer you to my previous reply:
Now he needs to prove that he deserves a 2nd chance. SANFL reports indicate that he's probably done just that.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
This Laird trade stuff isn’t going away. Good old Dwayne Russell says ‘higher ups’ at the Crows hinting he could be traded. Would be the dumbest move. And that says a lot.
I'd happily trade Laird. Opens up a spot in defence and gives us a fantastic asset we could use for a premium mid or Luko.

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haven't I read somewhere Geelong have to use a 1st round pick this year?
Yes. They have to but Hawks are free to break the rules with an exemption from the AFL. Cant remember the justification.

Geelong can use their first attached to their own ladder position and then use whatever currency they get for Kelly to get Laird. All hypothetical

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes I have watched him very closely as I want our team to get better quickly. Any player that can aid in that process needs to be played. The problem with Myles for mine is his disposal, awareness, speed of release and creativity with the ball. He reminds me of Mitch Grigg in that he kills it at sanfl and does very little at Afl. Our midfield is treacle slow. We need mids with blistering pace to make up for this shortfall. Jones is perfect to rectify this imbalance. I just don't see anything from Myles. For mine it was not a good draft for Ogilvie.

Interesting call about that draft , Jack Graham > Myles Pohlkoke

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
You asked if I thought he was played correctly. During those 9 games in 2018 he was.

If you wish to move the goal posts, asking whether he deserves another chance, then I refer you to my previous reply:
Yeah, sorry had a bit of a rant. Wasn't directed specifically at you.

Just want some more backing in of our young players.
Looks like that change is coming.

Hopefully Myles takes his opportunity.

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
In every draft you want to get at least one *really* good player. It’s still abit early to say, but in that draft, I can’t see us getting any.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I'd happily trade Laird. Opens up a spot in defence and gives us a fantastic asset we could use for a premium mid or Luko.
Correct weight.

Laird, whilst a decent player, hasn't got the qualities to run through the middle on a regular basis. We need more versatile players in his position and could well draft one this year.

We also have Sholl and Hamill coming through and are well-stocked for HBFs.

Sometimes you have to give up short-term assets to build a better future, this is the case with Rory.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Correct weight.

Laird, whilst a decent player, hasn't got the qualities to run through the middle on a regular basis. We need more versatile players in his position and could well draft one this year.

We also have Sholl and Hamill coming through and are well-stocked for HBFs.

Sometimes you have to give up short-term assets to build a better future, this is the case with Rory.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will we use the pick for laird to advantage

I guess the only way to determine that is do we currently have a decent list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back