Official Club Stuff 2019 Trevor Barker Award - Seb Ross wins his 2nd B&F!

Who Wins?

• Rowan Marshall

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Tim Membrey

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Josh Bruce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jade Gresham

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hunter Clark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Steele

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Seb Ross

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The St Kilda Board Big Footy B&F looked like this (using my secret formula)

Total
Marshall
329.67​
Billings
243.62​
Steele
232.69​
Ross
188.82​
Dunstan
156.62​
Gresham
118.47​
Membrey
109.51​
Clark
104.83​
Bruce
103.64​
Battle
91.84​
Savage
82.45​
Hannebury
62.52​
Lonie
43.09​
Steven
42.29​
Sinclair
34.42​
Parker
33.10​
Newnes
30.60​
Acres
29.98​
Wilkie
29.88​
Kent
26.08​
Hind
23.41​
Geary
21.11​
Brown
13.52​
Paton
11.79​
Carlisle
8.14​
Long
7.47​
McKenzie
7.40​
Coffield
4.14​
Joyce
3.06​
Webster
2.84​
Marsh
1.54​
White
0.95​
Young
0.51​

This is entirely based on votes given in the BigFooty B&F, which is why Wilkie was so low (he didn't poll many votes). I always find giving each player a rating or avoiding votes systems like the Brownlow, AFLCA award or most media awards gives a more similar result to club B&Fs.

I am staggered by a few comments suggesting Seb wasn't in our best 5 players this season, or that some people are calling him weak, suggesting there is some shifty politics behind the vote. Some people need to seriously pull their head in.

He is a very deserving winner of this award which is designed to recognise our best player over all 22 games this season - not just the one who had a great back half or who smashed everyone's expectations of how good they could be. It rewards consistency, the players who do their role every week and those who dont play bad games.

Some rankings for Seb among his peers this season:
First for the club in disposals, kicks, inside 50s, effective disposals, bounces, meters gained and score involvements.
Second at the club for tackles, handballs, uncontested possessions.
Third at the club for total clearances and stoppage clearances.
Forth at the club for centre clearences.
And Fifth at the club for goal assists, contested possessions and rebound 50s.

This tells me he was a major contributor in every aspect of our game this year.
Its funny when those slagging Ross through the year would list how many clangers or poor kicks he did . But when you write those stats that you have done they say stats dont tell the full picture lol. When you are getting the ball as much as he does every week then there are going to be some clangers , even guys like Cripps and Fyfe have some every game.

Funny that whipping boy Dunstan smashes Gresh, Battle and Wilkie in our very own rankings.

Shows that we all get a little hot under the collar and maybe don't pick our targets all too well.

For those that complain about Ross' disposal: He is actually very good in terms of DE. Where his issue comes in is that his mistakes are glaring. He plays a safe game to maintain possession of the footy but can burn players when trying to hit something outside of his wheel house.

I wasn't saying he is better than Stuv. Clearly a bit of tongue in cheek there, but I think that in 2020 he will have a little less pressure on him week to week as our midfield develops. A fit Hanners with Dunstan and Steele on the inside. Hill and Billings on the outside. Gresham, Clark, Jones and Ross as hybrids. Savage and Coff rotating in. Bytel to debut.

Possibly Constable from the Stuv trade.

Possibly another 1st round option (Ash or Flanders at pick 5? Kemp on the slide at pick 12?) pending Bruce deal.

I think we can rebuild our on ball team really quickly. We were top of the ladder early in this season and should get another softer fixture in 2020 given our bottom 6 finish and continued lack of finals.

For the double ups I'd love -
Top 6: Richmond - 1 for Maddie's match, the other for Spud.
Middle 6: Hawthorn (Ratts v the Master) and Adelaide (they are on the slide)
Bottom 6: Carlton (Ratts v old club) and Gold Coast (we both need wins to finally make finals)

We will probably get West Coast, Essendon, Bulldogs, Fremantle and bloody Melbourne...

The St Kilda Board Big Footy B&F looked like this (using my secret formula)

Total
Marshall
329.67​
Billings
243.62​
Steele
232.69​
Ross
188.82​
Dunstan
156.62​
Gresham
118.47​
Membrey
109.51​
Clark
104.83​
Bruce
103.64​
Battle
91.84​
Savage
82.45​
Hannebury
62.52​
Lonie
43.09​
Steven
42.29​
Sinclair
34.42​
Parker
33.10​
Newnes
30.60​
Acres
29.98​
Wilkie
29.88​
Kent
26.08​
Hind
23.41​
Geary
21.11​
Brown
13.52​
Paton
11.79​
Carlisle
8.14​
Long
7.47​
McKenzie
7.40​
Coffield
4.14​
Joyce
3.06​
Webster
2.84​
Marsh
1.54​
White
0.95​
Young
0.51​

This is entirely based on votes given in the BigFooty B&F, which is why Wilkie was so low (he didn't poll many votes). I always find giving each player a rating or avoiding votes systems like the Brownlow, AFLCA award or most media awards gives a more similar result to club B&Fs.
So Young was unlucky not to win .........lol joking

Its funny when those slagging Ross through the year would list how many clangers or poor kicks he did . But when you write those stats that you have done they say stats dont tell the full picture lol. When you are getting the ball as much as he does every week then there are going to be some clangers , even guys like Cripps and Fyfe have some every game.

The eye test is more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that whipping boy Dunstan smashes Gresh, Battle and Wilkie in our very own rankings.

Shows that we all get a little hot under the collar and maybe don't pick our targets all too well.

For those that complain about Ross' disposal: He is actually very good in terms of DE. Where his issue comes in is that his mistakes are glaring. He plays a safe game to maintain possession of the footy but can burn players when trying to hit something outside of his wheel house.

I wasn't saying he is better than Stuv. Clearly a bit of tongue in cheek there, but I think that in 2020 he will have a little less pressure on him week to week as our midfield develops. A fit Hanners with Dunstan and Steele on the inside. Hill and Billings on the outside. Gresham, Clark, Jones and Ross as hybrids. Savage and Coff rotating in. Bytel to debut.

Possibly Constable from the Stuv trade.

Possibly another 1st round option (Ash or Flanders at pick 5? Kemp on the slide at pick 12?) pending Bruce deal.

I think we can rebuild our on ball team really quickly. We were top of the ladder early in this season and should get another softer fixture in 2020 given our bottom 6 finish and continued lack of finals.

For the double ups I'd love -
Top 6: Richmond - 1 for Maddie's match, the other for Spud.
Middle 6: Hawthorn (Ratts v the Master) and Adelaide (they are on the slide)
Bottom 6: Carlton (Ratts v old club) and Gold Coast (we both need wins to finally make finals)

We will probably get West Coast, Essendon, Bulldogs, Fremantle and bloody Melbourne...
We will definitely get Gold Coast twice since our last 3 have all been close finishes and there is some sort of narrative between the two clubs. Plus twins playing against each other will be another fascination.

Good for you. I think he was responding to people dissing on Ross for winning.

Had nothing to do with who they picked.
Only 3% on this board voted Ross
Says it all
Yes. about the immaturity of a lot of the posters on here.

Maybe you should have read the post before jumping in to take a swipe at me , bye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. about the immaturity of a lot of the posters on here.

hmmmm not sure i agree. it's a poll. people gave their opinion. doesn't mean it makes them immature.

it's very subjective after all.

marshall wasn't too far behind ross and as others pointed out, if he played more (if not for injury), he would have won.

the immature thing in my opinion, would be to make something personal because someone had a differing opinion on somethings thats very subjective.

Your a fine one to be telling people how to behave
If Baz wants to call us immature because we didn't pick Seb to win the B&F i think i have every right to reply
No, nothing to do with who you picked. I am having a go at the poor reaction by some posters who being abusive because he won. Instead of congratulating him on his second win.

No, nothing to do with who you picked. I am having a go at the poor reaction by some posters who being abusive because he won. Instead of congratulating him on his second win.
Fair enough Baz , it was just how you worded it :thumbsu:

Ps , im not sure they were abusive towards Seb , i think a lot including myself worry about our club , if Seb can win 2 B&F s we are not a very strong side and have a long way to go

Ross is really making a name for himself now , that is his 2nd best and fairest just goes to show how valued he is.

Marshall had a wonderful year and no doubt if he never missed those to games he could of won it , just amazing how a player can go from borderline best 22 one year , then the next year he is about our best player.
Well and truly our best player.

Ratts is right hopefully we have plenty of improvement left in the players who remain on our list.

If we make finals will be because we have developed our own internally. Hill is off-set by the loss of Stuv and Bruce going is our second highest goals scorer and only a couple off top. If we don't get a decent return from King straight away and or Ryder/ Roma we will struggle to score still.

I think with proposed trades we are not making a massive difference. Injury relief will make a huge difference though. We had so many out this year.

Interesting hearing Seb Ross say that losing Lonie hurt as he's the leader of our forward line.

Not the first time an award has gone to someone who was not the favourite. And it won’t be the last.

Seb is a fine player whose reputation is diminished on footy forums such as this when the team is down and his own performance contains both good and bad elements.

Rowan is the shiny new toy who has wowed us with an unexpected first full year performance that gives us hope for the future. Full of brilliance and promise.

After what we have experienced in the last few days I really don’t care about who they gave it to.

Well done Seb.

Well done RoMa.

Bloody well said, Dr!
Hope like hell Seb doesn't visit this forum.

Not always, especially when some people are going into games looking for him to be crap rather than objectively looking at the game.

You’re probably right.

When I see Seb make a mistake & then stand there petulantly with his hands on his hips having a sook instead of chasing then I’m much less likely to actively look for his positive stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back