Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Pickett even play fat side wing? That's not a like for like sub. Pickett plays centre square, hbf or half forward.
I don’t want like for like as we can push up with a Lambert Rioli or Castagna.
Castagna played on the wing for around a quarter on Sat.
I’m not sure Ellis’ game showed that he was actually capable of playing fat side wing as he was horrid with disposal, decision making and physical effort. His opponents paid no respect to him and it was like he was invisible. As people have stated Ellis’ game was diabolical and cost us many goals bc his wing was a thoroughfare for opposition traffic. When a player is avoiding to tackle opponents and constantly looking over their shoulders it’s not a good look.

Does Pickett even play fat side wing? That's not a like for like sub. Pickett plays centre square, hbf or half forward.
Bolton, Castagna, Rioli, Caddy and even Baker can and have all rotate through the wings. You could add Pickett, Ross or Menadue to that list with some positional juggling. I think our wings have been our weakest spot all season, Caddy coming into form has sured up one side, so it's not much of a gamble to try something else, although a few weeks prior would have been better.

Bolton, Castagna, Rioli, Caddy and even Baker can and have all rotate through the wings. You could add Pickett, Ross or Menadue to that list with some positional juggling. I think our wings have been our weakest spot all season, Caddy coming into form has sured up one side, so it's not much of a gamble to try something else, although a few weeks prior would have been better.
Just not Menadue.

Lambert can play wing. Marlion then plays half forward. I don’t think that is risky at all.

There wouldn’t be many wing combinations in the comp better than Lambert and Caddy at full flight. Cotch, Dusty, Prestia, Edwards, Graham and Bolton all on the inside. Great midfield.

Bingo, there is huge flexibility

if Ellis gets dropped more so

Lambert can play wing. Marlion then plays half forward. I don’t think that is risky at all.

There wouldn’t be many wing combinations in the comp better than Lambert and Caddy at full flight. Cotch, Dusty, Prestia, Edwards, Graham and Bolton all on the inside. Great midfield.
Lambert plays as that high half forward, who releases from stoppages/turnovers and is a major contributor to our forward running/swarm type game, moreso because he's left unmanned. I think it would be extremely risky to expect someone like Pickett to take over his role and perform it to the level that Lambert does.

Lambert plays as that high half forward, who releases from stoppages/turnovers and is a major contributor to our forward running/swarm type game, moreso because he's left unmanned. I think it would be extremely risky to expect someone like Pickett to take over his role and perform it to the level that Lambert does.

Where do Rioli, Bolton, Edwards and George play? Is there really that much difference between wing and hff for much of the game given the zones/pressing?

Personally I think you can slot Pickett in the mix and have a lambert, edwards, bolton 'cover' the Ellis position without many problems. In fact, Id argue Richmond would be a significantly better side.

There is a man of the name Sydney Stack who could add come into calculations also

Lambert had 5 F50 entries and 3 R50 exits which tells me he was working hard both ways. He was only involved in 2 SI and no GA. Laid 5 tackles as well.
Looks an ideal replacement to me.

Lambert had 5 F50 entries and 3 R50 exits which tells me he was working hard both ways. He was only involved in 2 SI and no GA. Laid 5 tackles as well.
Looks an ideal replacement to me.

Not only is he about three light years better at football than Ellis, Lambert is as fit (running) too

b: Houli. Astbury. Grimes.
hb: Vlastuin. Broad. Baker.
c: Lambert. Cotchin. Caddy.
hf: George. Jack. Bolton.
f: Lynch. Martin. Rioli.
ob: Soldo. Edwards. Prestia
i: Short. Graham. Nank. Pickett.

Find a spot for Stack and we are in business

that said the boys might be able carry brandon to another flag, they've done it before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do Rioli, Bolton, Edwards and George play? Is there really that much difference between wing and hff for much of the game given the zones/pressing?

Personally I think you can slot Pickett in the mix and have a lambert, edwards, bolton 'cover' the Ellis position without many problems. In fact, Id argue Richmond would be a significantly better side.

There is a man of the name Sydney Stack who could add come into calculations also
I'm not disputing that Ellis should be dropped if the MC decide that it's best for the team. What I'm saying is that it's very risky to expect someone to come in and take on the roles that these experienced players have been developed with over years.

b: Houli. Astbury. Grimes.
hb: Vlastuin. Broad. Baker.
c: Lambert. Cotchin. Caddy.
hf: George. Jack. Bolton.
f: Lynch. Martin. Rioli.
ob: Soldo. Edwards. Prestia
i: Short. Graham. Nank. Pickett.

Find a spot for Stack and we are in business

that said the boys might be able carry brandon to another flag, they've done it before
For someone who hates Brandon Ellis, you sure do mention him a lot. ;)

I'm not disputing that Ellis should be dropped if the MC decide that it's best for the team. What I'm saying is that it's very risky to expect someone to come in and take on the roles that these experienced players have been developed with over years.
I’m sure the club wouldn’t have put him on our list if they thought he wasn’t capable of playing a role.
Bolton played a lot of midfield in the twos with some forward work and now it’s the opposite.
Pickett has played back and midfield in the twos and he’s even snuck up forward and kicked goals.
What do you know we may be onto something here?

Last edited:
All of our small forwards get high up the ground and contribute to our swarm though. Bolton, Rioli and Castagna are especially good at it because they are quick, agile, evasive and are capable of breaking lines. Their pressure is also outstanding.

I like Lambert going where the ball is. He uses his running power to surge forward but can also cover defensively, which is what your typical wingman should be doing. He also likes the hard stuff as well. He tackles, wins clearances and contested footy. There have also been times when Lambert has moved away from his role and played predominantly as an inside mid and we have functioned fine. I do not consider moving Lambert to the wing a risk. I consider playing a petrified and ineffective Ellis on the wing a risk.

Pickett also offers skills and attributes that Lambert doesn’t have so we don’t completely lose out.

All of our small forwards get high up the ground and contribute to our swarm though. Bolton, Rioli and Castagna are especially good at it because they are quick, agile, evasive and are capable of breaking lines. Their pressure is also outstanding.

I like Lambert going where the ball is. He uses his running power to surge forward but can also cover defensively, which is what your typical wingman should be doing. He also likes the hard stuff as well. He tackles, wins clearances and contested footy. There have also been times when Lambert has moved away from his role and played predominantly as an inside mid and we have functioned fine. I do not consider moving Lambert to the wing a risk. I consider playing a petrified and ineffective Ellis on the wing a risk.

Pickett also offers skills and attributes that Lambert doesn’t have so we don’t completely lose out.
I don't consider moving Lambert to a wing is risky (although he could be better in the air)

What I do consider risky is expecting Pickett to perform Lambert's role, or any other of the high half forwards roles for that matter.

What I'd be happier with, if Ellis is dropped, is that Castagna goes to the wing and Stack takes over Castagnas forward role. I know that George spent a bit of time on the wing during the QF and I reckon he did pretty well.

Of course SS probably wont be ready, but he's at least had fair bit of exposure in how we play. Like I'm saying I would be very nervous if Pickett came in for his debut game in a PF against either Geelong or Wet Toast. But if that's what the MC deem as best for the team then hell yeah!! Best of luck to the Debutant.

Leave Lambert alone I agree, too important playing the role he does. Plenty of other options.

I don't consider moving Lambert to a wing is risky (although he could be better in the air)

What I do consider risky is expecting Pickett to perform Lambert's role, or any other of the high half forwards roles for that matter.

What I'd be happier with, if Ellis is dropped, is that Castagna goes to the wing and Stack takes over Castagnas forward role. I know that George spent a bit of time on the wing during the QF and I reckon he did pretty well.

Of course SS probably wont be ready, but he's at least had fair bit of exposure in how we play. Like I'm saying I would be very nervous if Pickett came in for his debut game in a PF against either Geelong or Wet Toast. But if that's what the MC deem as best for the team then hell yeah!! Best of luck to the Debutant.
Fair enough. Not sold on George playing on a wing full time. He looked good there in the short stint on the weekend but whether he can sustain that for a full game is another question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back