Do the Dogs have an issue with indigenous players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also like someone said Vic doesn't have as many indigenous players as a % as WA, which partly explains their strong representation in the WA clubs. I don't know if there's ever been a side with more aboriginal players as the Eagles now or Dockers in recent years. Port, Hawthorn and Essendon would be others.

North put out teams with Anderson, Ahern, Simpkin and Thomas through this year and all should be in our best 22 next year.

Is that the West Coast player ? Do you know the Hawthorn players used to call him superman such was
the respect they had for him as he was quite small for the position he played.

Langdon thought Daniel Kerr was indigenous and said as mkuch on radio one day, when he was corrected he paused and said ... "Well, we're all indgenous to somewhere".

They did have at least 4 different indigenous guys on their list recently:
Jones went to Carlton after 2014
Brett Goodes 2013-15
Stevens 2014-16
Joël Hamling 2015-16

Zeph Skinner was also drafted at the start of the decade.

Last edited:

I've noticed this actually. I thought there was a stipulation each team had to have at least a few indigenous players on tbeir list? I doubt it's racism, though, more just how it turns out. Can't speak for everyone at the Dogs though. I actually find it surprising they don't have a South Sudanese player when many teams have one nowadays, given the fact Footscray is like the main African town in Melbourne along with Sunshine. They did have Lin Jong, shame he didn't feature much. Would be good to see more Asian players too.

Buku Khamis says hello while standing next to Reuben William

Might have a slight disadvantage when it comes to trading in some indigenous players. That's about it. These things can change around quickly though.
Could easily pick up a mature ager and a new draftee and all of a sudden perception changes. Its really just about putting together a well balanced list, there's no prize for meeting quotas.

Langdon thought Daniel Kerr was indigenous and said as mkuch on radio one day, when he was corrected he paused and said ... "Well, we're all indgenous to somewhere".
Oh ok I did not know that, I was born in Scotland and am clan Buchanan, the Buchanan lands are near
the east banks of Loch Lomond near the town of Drymen. Maybe one of my distant ancestors held
William Wallace's horse at the battle of Stirling Bridge who knows. I don't possess the mystical power
to know by looking at someone where they are from so I choose to treat everyone the same until they
give me a reason not to. If people want to be offended they will be, it's not that long ago that being
left handed could get you killed.

Wth is that real?
Which club was that?

Btw this thread is a bullsh@$ premise to begin with - I'm sure Bulldogs will recruit any and all race, colours and cultures that further their ability to win a game of footy.

Any club that may have had any racist policies in the past I guarantee those policies would not be still existent in 2019.

Hawthorn, and yes a former recruiting manager in the 90s admitted as much.

Oh ok I did not know that, I was born in Scotland and am clan Buchanan, the Buchanan lands are near
the east banks of Loch Lomond near the town of Drymen. Maybe one of my distant ancestors held
William Wallace's horse at the battle of Stirling Bridge who knows. I don't possess the mystical power
to know by looking at someone where they are from so I choose to treat everyone the same until they
give me a reason not to. If people want to be offended they will be, it's not that long ago that being
left handed could get you killed.

Scottish people in Glasgow seem to have the mystical ability to determine whether a white person is a Tim or not.

Wth is that real?
Which club was that?

Btw this thread is a bullsh@$ premise to begin with - I'm sure Bulldogs will recruit any and all race, colours and cultures that further their ability to win a game of footy.

Any club that may have had any racist policies in the past I guarantee those policies would not be still existent in 2019.

The best team of the last 60 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can give an example of how the Dogs being PERCEIVED to not have a strong and welcoming culture when it comes to indigenous players costs them.

Sydney Stack.

The Tiges could back in their strong culture in that regard and take the punt on him.

Just wouldn't have happened at the Kennel.

In so many ways this whole thread is reflective of the modern disease of identity politics. Traditionally and problem of the far right, but now a problem of the far left too. Always talking and ‘blood and soil’ instead of humanity and character. And in a football club ability. No one’s Grandma and Grandad are more important than anyone else’s. I love the aboriginal players but if we need a quota to get them, no way!

In so many ways this whole thread is reflective of the modern disease of identity politics. Traditionally and problem of the far right, but now a problem of the far left too. Always talking and ‘blood and soil’ instead of humanity and character. And in a football club ability. No one’s Grandma and Grandad are more important than anyone else’s. I love the aboriginal players but if we need a quota to get them, no way!

no one said you need a quote you blouse

I can give an example of how the Dogs being PERCEIVED to not have a strong and welcoming culture when it comes to indigenous players costs them.

Sydney Stack.

The Tiges could back in their strong culture in that regard and take the punt on him.

Just wouldn't have happened at the Kennel.
Perception has nothing to do with it, nor is Stack an example worth mentioning. Just like every other club, Dogs didn't believe Stack was worth a pick in the National/Rookie Drafts.

It’s good to see that majority of the posts acknowledge the issue is purely coincidental. The dogs have a long history of drafting players from all backgrounds including indigenous Australian without hesitation.

The dogs recent recruiting history would suggest that drafting the best possible player is working well for them. If an indigenous player is selected next draft, I’d hazard a guess he was the best available.

C’mon mate it’s not like the Doggies have played wogs over the years. Can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Perception has nothing to do with it, nor is Stack an example worth mentioning. Just like every other club, Dogs didn't believe Stack was worth a pick in the National/Rookie Drafts.

well most clubs has him like 5-30 on their draft boards in terms of talent

pretty much racist ismly choose lesser white players instead

even Richmond went with some questionable Vfl guts before finally taking him - only because of the new rules / in essence third draft

But Richmond did think he was worth a punt outside the draft and it paid off.

The Dogs could have done that.

Stack's Aboriginality is hugely important to him, and the Dogs not having any indigenous players means that it just wouldn't have worked.

But Richmond did think he was worth a punt outside the draft and it paid off.

The Dogs could have done that.

Stack's Aboriginality is hugely important to him, and the Dogs not having any indigenous players means that it just wouldn't have worked.
Perhaps, maybe, possibly. Either the program we have is good enough, or it isn't. The club seems to putting in the effort to make it more attractive, so it's not through lack of trying.

Perhaps, maybe, possibly. Either the program we have is good enough, or it isn't. The club seems to putting in the effort to make it more attractive, so it's not through lack of trying.

Richmond could take a punt on stack because they had a recent flag, a solid list, a minor premiership + Tom Lynch the previous few months.

I think the culture part is overrated. Stack wouldve worked fine at the doggies

How the hell can you come to that conclusion, it's the exact opposite.

My top three favourite players are:
1: Peter Matera
2: Andrew McLeod
3: Keith Greig

I just don't like labels.

I am usually quick to attack a redneck but this guy isn't one.
I think Mike123 owes you an apology.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back