Don Pyke quits. Or did he?

blackus

Senior List
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pyke is a smart bloke, has plenty of dough and would be sick to the back teeth of dealing with the insular jobs for the boys attitude of the crows. This will no doubt satisfy everyone that the "review" has done its job, identified the issue and coach has gone. There would be plenty of others who should have gone before Pykey. starting with the chairman - no board has a chairman last as long as this bloke. I know Adelaide is a small town but surely there are some corporate types around who can take the role. Next would be Riccuito, Burton, the assistant coaches. Pyke should have been retained, a new football manager employed - Vozzo from WC? and allowed to employ all his own assistants and told he has 2 years to get results. Then if he fails, out the door.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Probably the right call. Came in at a difficult time and the first two seasons were excellent. Copped a belong GF day and haven't recovered. You wonder where they would've been without the camp.

Last year was rough with a team that probably expected top 4 but injuries did play a big factor there. This year was abysmal. No excuses for injuries, have an age bracket where they should be contending and they were bottom 4 material since the bye.

The club lost the players and I don't think there was any other solution. They say they don't want the players to run the club but think this was a totally different situation. Mass exodus was on the hands if he stayed. Won't be the only one going I imagine, there'd be a few nervous guys around there.

Time for a fresh start for the Crows. You'd assume Pyke did enough good work in those first couple of seasons to get a second chance somewhere relatively soon.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Surreal that this has happened yet Hinkley still has a job.
Half half...

One missed the 8 not playing kids with a generally healthy list...

So I believe it's right that he went first. Not to say Hinkley is safe either....

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Pyke is a smart bloke, has plenty of dough and would be sick to the back teeth of dealing with the insular jobs for the boys attitude of the crows. This will no doubt satisfy everyone that the "review" has done its job, identified the issue and coach has gone. There would be plenty of others who should have gone before Pykey. starting with the chairman - no board has a chairman last as long as this bloke. I know Adelaide is a small town but surely there are some corporate types around who can take the role. Next would be Riccuito, Burton, the assistant coaches. Pyke should have been retained, a new football manager employed - Vozzo from WC? and allowed to employ all his own assistants and told he has 2 years to get results. Then if he fails, out the door.
If you think the AFC supporter base will be satisfied with just Pyke going and nothing else, then you greatly underestimate the festering anger of the AFC supporter base.

They want all of whom you mentioned broomed out, plus a few more!

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Craig's 6 full seasons as head coach is starting to look epic. Crows coaches always seem to get the boot (or walk) swiftly. Cornes, Blight & Ayres all left a year after contending, and Sanderson/Pyke/Craig two years after contending.

7 wins is their absolute worst in 29 seasons. Definitely a club hungry for immediate impact. Some of these coaches had grown a bit stale or oversaw a cultural collapse, but they seem to get the boot a little too prematurely.

Jan 24, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
******* bulls**t. Adelaide can get rid of their coach who got them to a GF yet we can't get rid of our s**t truck who hasn't even won a ******* final in 5 years.

fu** me
i would say it has more to do that Adelaide can afford to pay out a contract with years left while your club struggles to honour existing contracts and also the complete football department cap

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
So crazy how a few years ago Adelaide were considered a model AFL club. Well run, never bottomed out, maybe the best development in the comp. Things have certainly changed.

Back