News Pyke Gone

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I am of the opinion that the club failed him.

Surrounding him with s**t assistants and morons like Burton was like an albatross around his neck.

Not happy at all with the decision especially when we were all warned that Pyke was going to be made the scapegoat for the likes of Burton.

The club will now sell it to the members that it was all Pyke's fault while the real problems will continue to linger on at the club.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had to happen. I certainly don't think he's the root cause of all our problems, but he definitely didn't prove to be part of the solution in his time either. Not saying he was alone in those faults, but w can't bury our head in the sands to the part he had in our clubs recent on field trajectory.

Having said that his resume is still good enough to get another job coaching elsewhere, so making this move now makes sense for him and for us. I don't harbor any bad feelings for the guy, but i'm also not upset to see the back of him.

Good luck Pykey, thanks for trying. Have fun in Fremantle.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Goodbye and good riddance..

Really showed how stubborn and conservative he was this season. He also had no plan B... that was evident all the way back in round 7? 2017 against North in tassie..

Burton and campo next..

Hope the report that Pyke himself decided to walk and that this had nothing to do with the review etc is true.. hopefully makes the review forget about looking at pyke and allows more focus on burton, campo, hart and roo..
Really dont understand the agro attitude towards Pike. Sure he had his issues most of which none of us really know anything about but to say good riddance is a bit harsh

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
There is some great news that comes out of this - if you are willing to look as positively as possible.

With the coach vacancy coinciding with a review and a lot of talk about Roo's mates etc... in the media, there is no way the club can appoint someone like Goodwin. So that's a win.

The review also means that whoever comes in as coach, should get some free reign to really make changes and get their own team in place. I have no idea who will get the gig, but whoever it is will need to have the guts to look Roo, Chapman, Fagan etc... in the eye and say NO. I will not have person X in that role. Change it or I don't take the job. For that reason I'm hoping for someone with experience and strength, even if they aren't necessarily the best coach on the planet.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Surrounding him with s**t assistants and morons like Burton was like an albatross around his neck.

Not happy at all with the decision especially when we were all warned that Pyke was going to be made the scapegoat for the likes of Burton.
If Burton's there next year, I'll run naked down...

I think the club failed him, but I also don't think he was good enough.

Could you see Chris Fagan at Brisbane allowing David Noble to put the players through pseudoscience mental training and a bullshit, offensive camp?

Absolutely not. And that's not to mention Pyke's failings as a game day coach

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Provided we continue these sackings, I reckon we're a good chance to have a "Sando Spike" next year and be right back in the finals

Whether or not that will be indicative of future form I don't know... but to the players, this could be the shackles being undone

2005, 2012 and 2015 saw a finals appearance the year straight after sacking a coach, so it is possible.

kiwicrow

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think that Pikey is the type of guy to resign. I believe that he is a honourable man and the type of man to put the club first. He had two years left on a contract. If the club was pushing him then they would have been up for a payout of $1.6m (at least that what others on here have been saying his contract is worth) but given he has pulled the plug the club wont be liable for that payout.

Personally, rather than bagging Pike I would like to thank him for his efforts and whilst his actions at times may have been questionable, given the circumstances that revolve around his time, I think he gave us many successes.

I hope that there are others that will fall on their sword. I would like to see Burton and Hass get the arse along with Fagan.

Now the next couple of months will be very interesting given we now definately have to find a new coach.

Pykey is a businessman, no one walks for free, he got paid out, it’s how these things go.

There is some great news that comes out of this - if you are willing to look as positively as possible.

With the coach vacancy coinciding with a review and a lot of talk about Roo's mates etc... in the media, there is no way the club can appoint someone like Goodwin. So that's a win.

The review also means that whoever comes in as coach, should get some free reign to really make changes and get their own team in place. I have no idea who will get the gig, but whoever it is will need to have the guts to look Roo, Chapman, Fagan etc... in the eye and say NO. I will not have person X in that role. Change it or I don't take the job. For that reason I'm hoping for someone with experience and strength, even if they aren't necessarily the best coach on the planet.

The next head coach will have no free reign to make decisions. What you're suggesting won't happen, he'll be forced to deal with guys like Campo bare minimum, if not Burton, Hass and Hart too

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
He's the second coach to he sacked/pushed not long after being extended.

Whoever was around for Sanderson AND Pyke contract extensions should vacate their board position and/or office now.

Whoever was a part of just the Pyke extension - after seeing what happened with Sando - should think about packing up their desk, too.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nothing said on the internet is stupider than "no plan B".

Pyke ran with about five different plans this year, and often changed things up drastically during a match. He's known for years we were too slow, and kept trying to find ways to cover it
Hence my reason for the s**t game plan. Adapted to try to accomodate a precious, ageing, slowing, self-entitled, stale list.

The turnaround of the SANFL side when they stopped playing his shitty, short chipping game style should tell you everything you need to know.

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had some great moments and can’t be forgotten he had us to a GF as favourites.

Ultimately though Don nailed himself to a core playing group which have failed. As that group are being disbanded, going down with the ship is the honourable thing to do.

That’s 2 of the leadership. Odds on Burton doing the right thing are remote though
nailed it, Pete.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very Interesting.jpg

Hence my reason for the s**t game plan. Adapted to try to accomodate a precious, ageing, slowing, self-entitled list.

He refused to select players that would make the team faster, instead deliberately choosing to shoehorn failed slow older players, hence we got his rubbish backwards-sideways gameplan

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

The club will now sell it to the members that it was all Pyke's fault while the real problems will continue to linger on at the club.

More lies from the club in that article? As if his decision is unrelated to the reviews and all the things happening at the club...of course it's related.

And would have to assume putting out to the media that he has quit of his own accord, is for PR purposes to not say he was sacked. Effectively jumped before pushed, and maybe reached some kind of settlement with the club.

IMO he was made a scapegoat...article does mention he has a win percentage of over 60% which is really good...the guy can coach. Apart from the likes of Burton and shitty assistants weighing him down, he was put under unreasonable pressure probably with the whole 'can't miss finals for 2 years' thing.

I think some of the assistants (Campo & Hart) plus Burton & even Roo should have been cleaned out and Pyke kept on.

Back