News Pyke Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

I am of the opinion that the club failed him.

Surrounding him with s**t assistants and morons like Burton was like an albatross around his neck.

Not happy at all with the decision especially when we were all warned that Pyke was going to be made the scapegoat for the likes of Burton.

The club will now sell it to the members that it was all Pyke's fault while the real problems will continue to linger on at the club.
Did the club fail him or was Don also part of the problem, I mean someone like Josh Francou comes in highly regarded and he couldn't then get out of the place quick enough once there.
Surely Don has as much say over his assistants as anyone at the club. And you don't have the sorts of players reported as wanted out if they just don't get on with an assistant coach.

Personally i hope this now leads to a full cleanout at the coaching level. Anyone that has been there longer than a year be gone.

I am of the opinion that the club failed him.

Surrounding him with s**t assistants and morons like Burton was like an albatross around his neck.

Not happy at all with the decision especially when we were all warned that Pyke was going to be made the scapegoat for the likes of Burton.
Isn't it the job of the Head Coach to get the people he wants around him, build his own team. I agree a lot of this coaching box stinks of 'club decisions' and 'jobs for the boys', but if Pykey wasn't strong enough to make sure he got the team he wanted around him then is he really cut out to have the top job in the first place?

I am so angry with this club. This is such bullshit.

Why do this announcement now and not wait till the results of the external review are in?

This type of knee jerk decision making by Chapman is symptomatic of the stench that fills the club. I simply don't get what is achieved by doing this now?

Rob could have held off accepting Don's resignation until after the review and then made it public. Hey, he turned down Triggy's resignation several times after Tippetgate so he has history.

Unless they have already signed Ross Lyon up, what does the club achieve by letting this happen outside of the review?

And here is my main beef......If Roo is using this to position one of his mates into the position under the guise of the findings of the review then the club can get well and truly stuffed as far as I am concerned.

If the club thinks that this resignation will solve its inherent culture and management problems then they are naive and plainly dumb and are treating its supporters like crap.

Not happy Jan!

I think the club failed him, but I also don't think he was good enough.

Could you see Chris Fagan at Brisbane allowing David Noble to put the players through pseudoscience mental training and a bulls**t, offensive camp?

Absolutely not. And that's not to mention Pyke's failings as a game day coach

How much power does he have to change things, if let's say Burton insisted on it as the Head of Football? And had the backing of Roo and all the hierarchy at the club? Pyke wouldn't be able to influence much if that was the case.

He should be able to as head coach, but with what we hear about Burton's stubbornness, wouldn't be surprised if he simply dismissed Don's concerns and pressed on.

It wouldn't happen at Brisbane because Noble would respect the head coaches thoughts and take it into account and be respectful...rather than 'my way or the highway'.

Nothing said on the internet is stupider than "no plan B".

Pyke ran with about five different plans this year, and often changed things up drastically during a match. He's known for years we were too slow, and kept trying to find ways to cover it

*more stupid

Anyway, I thought selecting Neser for the Ashes was the stupidest thing?

And finding ways to cover a lack of pace somehow didn't include selecting speedy youngsters that were drafted for that exact reason, playing Sam Jacobs over ROB at the end, playing Richard Douglas full stop, etc.

If Pyke was the biggest voice at selection committee, sure, that's the right call to move him on. But if there were other influences that persisted with the awful selections for the past three seasons, then they need to go as well.

Shame the review wasn't earlier and could sit on a selection committee.

Plz explain...I was sick and tired of him trotting out the same old diatribe while the pimple on his nose kept getting bigger with every s**t line he espoused.

i didnt like the same thing being repeated every week either, in fact, there were lots of things i didnt like. i just dont think HE is the issue at the club. he might contribute, but the issues look far deeper and bigger.

also it comes across as very entitled to want someone sacked because things didnt go your way all the time. (not saying that about you, just people in general).

"with his decision unrelated to the internal and external reviews of the football department "

Yeah. Nah.

The fact this has been said officially, means they can't use Don resigning as an outcome of the internal/external reviews. Surely this means more changes/heads/rolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Can't sack Pyke and Campo and then leave it up to rookie coaches like Mattner and Godden. AND sack Hart on top of that.

Campo is here for the long haul. He will never leave, ever
This is my concern as well. Now with the head coach gone how can you have a clean out of assistants. That would mean a entirely new coaching team. Some of the current coaches will have to stay. My fear is that Campo will survive again

And nothing to do with the review. The new coach better get his assistants
Complete wipeout ....or those key assists ...we know who they are

Interesting Pyke chatted with Fagan 2 weeks ago ....obviously didn't try and pursuade him to stay

The negative side of me says Pyke is definitely the scapegoat here and we'll use him to hide the failings of Burton, Campo and others

But the positive side says we are already making changes, and fast. We've dumped Walker from the captaincy, and now effectively sacked Pyke. Both are good moves, so maybe there's more to come

He's the second coach to he sacked/pushed not long after being extended.

Whoever was around for Sanderson AND Pyke contract extensions should vacate their board position and/or office now.

Whoever was a part of just the Pyke extension - after seeing what happened with Sando - should think about packing up their desk, too.

You mean this guy?

I am so angry with this club. This is such bulls**t.

Why do this announcement now and not wait till the results of the external review are in?

This type of knee jerk decision making by Chapman is symptomatic of the stench that fills the club. I simply don't get what is achieved by doing this now?

Rob could have held off accepting Don's resignation until after the review and then made it public. Hey, he turned down Triggy's resignation several times after Tippetgate so he has history.

Unless they have already signed Ross Lyon up, what does the club achieve by letting this happen outside of the review?

And here is my main beef......If Roo is using this to position one of his mates into the position under the guise of the findings of the review then the club can get well and truly stuffed as far as I am concerned.

If the club thinks that this resignation will solve its inherent culture and management problems then they are naive and plainly dumb and are treating its supporters like crap.

Not happy Jan!
What can the club do when the Coach up and quits? How is that also Chapmans fault? lol
Don decided he wanted to move on so what the club should say to him mate just wait and once the review is done then we announce it?

Hey guys, excuse the intrusion. This current situation smells a bit of 2014 Western Bulldogs to me. Players looking to leave, coach 'resigning', just thought I'd offer some council and let you all know that it's never really as bad as it seems. For anyone that is concerned about the state of the club and is questioning their love for it, just keep supporting.

I wish you guys all the success moving forward. You've always been my second favourite club which I'm sure doesn't really get said about the Crows often. You can blame an ex-girlfriend for that haha.

Isn't it the job of the Head Coach to get the people he wants around him, build his own team. I agree a lot of this coaching box stinks of 'club decisions' and 'jobs for the boys', but if Pykey wasn't strong enough to make sure he got the team he wanted around him then is he really cut out to have the top job in the first place?

Technically the head coach ultimately reports to the Head of Football in Burton and is accountable to Roo.

They are simply in higher hierarchical positions within the organisation.

So while you'd like to say he needs to be stronger, what can he do if Burton & Roo are simply stubborn and refuse to act on his advice? That would be an issue with Burton & Roo, they need to respect the coaches opinion and not constantly overrule.

I make recommendations to my manager and even their manager above them, but ultimately if they say 'no we're doing it this way' i can't do much about it.

So what, who gives a fu**, it's hardly top of the list of problems.

Nuffys on this board just learned his name last year, and even though that problem has now mostly been fixed (and it was mostly a problem because the players came back too fat and they had to smash them too hard), they still yap on about him getting fired.

Who gives a s**t. Sack Burton, Campo and Hart and the rest can stick around. Fix the ACTUAL problems.

For a big shot CEO you are a clueless knob

Remove this Banner Ad

Back