Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Bruce is a good fit for us as he is a power forward which neither Naughton or Schache are. I like any combination of Bruce/Naughton, Bruce/Schache, Schache/Naughton, but NOT all three! Too tall and too slow.
Also I really doubt Bruce will ruck for us.
Too tall and to slow???

Naughton and Bruce for that matter are very mobile, quite quick and excellent below their knees (Naughty demonstrated this clearly in Ballarat). Schache is much preffered as a third tall as opposed to a key forward and is also very mobile for his height

Are they any slower than Franklin, Roughead and Gunston? These 3 talls with another marking player in Breust did ok together in the one forward line.

Even in last years grand final Kennedy, Darling and 50% of the time Vardy all slower than the three we MAY have workded ok together.

Not sure there is enough evidence to support your narrative Libba, but you may be right.

I would really like to see all 3 in the forward line and Keath down back allowing Cordy to play as the 3rd tall. Would make us difficult to match up on

WB > Hitler

WB<>Hitler

Bonzo Goes to Bitburg (My Brain is Hanging Upside Down) - The Ramones.

:musicalscore::musicnotes:
You've got to pick up the pieces
C'mon, sort your trash
You better pull yourself back together
Maybe you've got too much cash
Better call, call the law
When you gonna turn yourself in? Yeah
You're a politician
Don't become one of Hitler's children

Bonzo goes to Bitburg then goes out for a cup of tea
As I watched it on TV somehow it really bothered me
Drank in all the bars in town for an extended foreign policy
Pick up the pieces

My brain is hanging upside down
I need something to slow me down
Shouldn't wish you happiness, wish her the very best
Fifty thousand dollar dress
Shaking hands with your highness
See through you like cellophane
You watch the world complain
but you do it anyway
Who am I, am I to say

Too tall and to slow???

Naughton and Bruce for that matter are very mobile, quite quick and excellent below their knees (Naughty demonstrated this clearly in Ballarat). Schache is much preffered as a third tall as opposed to a key forward and is also very mobile for his height

Are they any slower than Franklin, Roughead and Gunston? These 3 talls with another marking player in Breust did ok together in the one forward line.

Even in last years grand final Kennedy, Darling and 50% of the time Vardy all slower than the three we MAY have workded ok together.

Not sure there is enough evidence to support your narrative Libba, but you may be right.

I would really like to see all 3 in the forward line and Keath down back allowing Cordy to play as the 3rd tall. Would make us difficult to match up on

So you’d play Cordy, Keath and trengove/young in the same backline? And wood?

A few long straws in regards to aboriginal players leaving us I think

Jones.... couldn’t get a game and we didn’t think of playing him down back.
Harbrow.... left to be closer to family and $$$’s
Hill.... struggled at times and did similar at WC. Didn’t see many tears shed when he was leaving. More list management.
McLean.... Was from the NT and father from QLD. Was better for us than them.

Could we draw from our quiver that aboriginal players have been well accepted given more have been 1 club players like Lynch, West, Skinner, Goodes and Stack?
Or not as long a bow that we are a destination club given the likes of Winmar, Thorpe, Bamblett, Koops, Djerkurra (spelling?), Krakouer all came to us to finish there careers ? (Wow we took some scraps didn’t we)

Last edited:
Just a thought for the day....

Is racism a one way street?

I ask as I’d hate to believe we aren’t able to attract aboriginal players because we have none on our list. Surely if a player was to choose another club for that reason that would be racist. After all, every player is being paid to do a job and playing the same game

After a lean couple of seasons Easton Wood put together a strong finish to the year, seemed to return to near his best. He'll just moved to the wrong side of 30 and I think, up until the last few rounds at least, his place in the 22 was probably questionable.

There's obviously a chance he relinquishes the captaincy over the off-season, but how do people see his place in the side next year? Lock for the 22, or stints in the VFL?

So no Martin or Tippa. We should still have plenty of cash to target another player.

Any thoughts?
Assuming Bruce is definitely coming, we have the cash for one more huge target (if not Keath). No idea why we wouldn't jump in for Papley

I ask as I’d hate to believe we aren’t able to attract aboriginal players because we have none on our list. Surely if a player was to choose another club for that reason that would be racist. After all, every player is being paid to do a job and playing the same game
Its more relating to feeling comfortable in their workplace and being around people that have gone through the same struggles

Its ljke W.A wanting to head back home or Vics in Brisbane coming back to Vic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but...

Josh Bruce finished in the top 10 in StK's B&F this year.

If he's only worth a 2nd rounder to them, what does that say for the rest of their list?

Interesting point. But I am far from convinced that issue had anything to do Martin's decision. I think it was a) GCS told his agent that Carlton had the trading material to get it done easy, b) he's guaranteed a game at Cartank, meaning he'll get full match payments and bonuses.

So you’d play Cordy, Keath and trengove/young in the same backline? And wood?
Keath, two only of Cordy/Young/Trengove.

Wood is not a KPB. He has had to be played there due to a dearth of talls down back. He was a much better player in 2016 including the GF. We had Hamling, Morris and Roberts as the talls. Having 3 of the 4 only reverts back to our successful 2016 formula with one more for depth

Even if some believe Wood makes it 4, which I would disagree with, only 3 at anyone time would be on the ground and a combination of Crozier, Durea, JJ, Richards and other small backs, for some Daniel, would make up the other 3 or 4. Keath, Young, Cordy and Wood would have been very handy against GWS on the weekend.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but...

Josh Bruce finished in the top 10 in StK's B&F this year.

If he's only worth a 2nd rounder to them, what does that say for the rest of their list?
There's really nothing to say that's all he's worth to them. Reporters seriously can't be trusted when they talk about their "mail", there is way too much lies, deception and innuendo in the AFL media. I'll be seriously shocked if all Bruce cost us was our 2nd

Bailey Williams finished top 10 in our B+F last year, is he worth any more than a 2nd? McLean and Johannisen did too, but you'd be hard pushed to find a buyer for these two for any more than an early 2nd. Not really fair to bag out the Saints list when the argument you use could just as easily be turned around on us

A few long straws in regards to aboriginal players leaving us I think

Jones.... couldn’t get a game and we didn’t think of playing him down back.
Harbrow.... left to be closer to family and $$$’s
Hill.... struggled at times and did similar at WC. Didn’t see many tears shed when he was leaving. More list management.
McLean.... Was from the NT and father from QLD. Was better for us than them.

Could we draw from our quiver that aboriginal players have been well accepted given more have been 1 club players like Lynch, West, Skinner, Goodes and Stack?
Or not as long a bow that we are a destination club given the likes of Winmar, Thorpe, Bamblett, Koops, Djerkurra (spelling?), Krakouer all came to us to finish there careers ? (Wow we took some scraps didn’t we)

Bamblett didn’t come to us to finish his career - he was in his early 20s.
Thorpe wasn’t old either, and Djerkurra definitely wasn’t.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, McLean left due to a contract dispute, have heard him say he would have stayed otherwise.

There's really nothing to say that's all he's worth to them. Reporters seriously can't be trusted when they talk about their "mail", there is way too much lies, deception and innuendo in the AFL media. I'll be seriously shocked if all Bruce cost us was our 2nd

Bailey Williams finished top 10 in our B+F last year, is he worth any more than a 2nd? McLean and Johannisen did too, but you'd be hard pushed to find a buyer for these two for any more than an early 2nd. Not really fair to bag out the Saints list when the argument you use could just as easily be turned around on us

Fair point. I just couldn't help myself.

Bamblett didn’t come to us to finish his career - he was in his early 20s.
Thorpe wasn’t old either, and Djerkurra definitely wasn’t.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, McLean left due to a contract dispute, have heard him say he would have stayed otherwise.
Djerkurra finished his career early to head back to N.T to become an elder in his community

Interesting point. But I am far from convinced that issue had anything to do Martin's decision. I think it was a) GCS told his agent that Carlton had the trading material to get it done easy, b) he's guaranteed a game at Cartank, meaning he'll get full match payments and bonuses.
Jack Martin played junior football with Patrick Cripps in West Australia.

When you address the holes they have, they should be expecting improvement. Essendon "winning" trade week was basically just a meme referring to them having got the "best value" trades, despite not actually addressing the serious concerns with their list
Holes that they or you think they have. Carlton issues are cultural, no trading fixes that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back