Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Just on those Ïnside/Outside mids you've mentioned eDPS, I don't want them sub 187cm, the idea of a big bodied midfielder to me was to compete with the Cripps, Martin, Bontempelli types. As impressive as Clarke has been (tagging), he is still only 187cm himself.

Also, someone on this board brought up Emerson Jeska, what's held him back fro shooting up calculations, was suggested as a likely early draft selection 12 - 18 months ago but has stagnated a lot. Injury? development?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I’m not trying to slight Gown at all, why not another? Having said that someone like Bowman potentially kills a couple of birds with one stone here

We've already got an abundance of them on the list, sadly just under performing individually for the last 12 months. Stewart, Daniher, Brown, McKernan, Gown have all missed large chunks of football. We ideally should have 5 on the list. 2 in the seniors (Daniher, Smack) and 3 in the reserves (x2 KPF, one developing as a third tall before transitioning to a more prominent KPF post).

As mentioned, this group has been struck down by injury consitently and thus cant get a good run at it leaving us with the unfortunate series of events requiring us to play Laverde, Stringer, even our genuine smalls at FF.

Pick 60 and 65

Inside/Outside Midfielders
Ryan Byrnes 181cm
Sam Philp 185cm
Jai Jackson 185cm
Daniel Mott 182cm
Louis Butler 183cm
Chad Warner 181cm
Sam Ramsay 180cm
Josh Honey 184cm
Riley Baldi 178cm
Riley Garcia 175cm

A lot more here, these are players i expect from 40-rookie, plenty of different types with Ramsay and Butler being the most outside of the lot

Key Forwards
Dyson Hilder 196cm
Emerson Jeka 197cm

Both have played at either ends of the ground and I’m still unsure where they would be best suited

Small Forwards
Ben Johnson 180cm
Mitch Martin 183cm
Mitch Mellis 173cm
Josh D’Intinosante 177cm

Johnson can also play as a defender but all 4 look like rookie chances more than anything

Ruckman
Nick Bryan could go anywhere but would be a good long term prospect, Jack Bell another rookie chance.

What flakey outside types would be available at those picks?

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Also, someone on this board brought up Emerson Jeska, what's held him back fro shooting up calculations, was suggested as a likely early draft selection 12 - 18 months ago but has stagnated a lot. Injury? development?
Form. Whether it's skill or yips his goalkicking has been terrible - very Casboult.

I'd initially suggested a KPF but in hindsight, this is what Gown is groomed to be. Bar this, you've hit the nail on the head imho.
Gown is not a contested marking forward. He is a lead up forward.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just on those Ïnside/Outside mids you've mentioned eDPS, I don't want them sub 187cm, the idea of a big bodied midfielder to me was to compete with the Cripps, Martin, Bontempelli types. As impressive as Clarke has been (tagging), he is still only 187cm himself.

Just has had an average year. Hurt his knee in the academy game and missed some time, but hasn’t done anything really special since coming back. Has a good set of hands but doesn’t offer much once the ball hits the ground.

Got a thorough working over today by Nankervis, CCJ and Chol but Bowman has done enough to impress me.

Willing to get his knees dirty, technically pretty sound has a decent feel for the game.

Want him on the list, he’ll only get better.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Got a thorough working over today by Nankervis, CCJ and Chol but Bowman has done enough to impress me.

Willing to get his knees dirty, technically pretty sound has a decent feel for the game.

This is where I feel like the AFL is missing a big opportunity for VFL listed guys onto their clubs lists.

Every club in the country has a reserves team, they should be allowed to take one, say 19 year old, or older from there own reserves list. Would give incentive for more kids to play state league football. OBviously, pople will argue the northern clubs may struggle to attract 18/19/20 year old quality but they still have some very good state league players.

It'd be a travesty if we have put so much time into Riley and another club takes him from under our noses.. again. Campbell style.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

( pardon the double quote )

what impresses me most is that he isnt just a ruckmen but genuinely wants to get involved in the play. He has a feel for the game as you say. he gets kicks, handballs, marks around the ground and in general play which is almost unheard of for a 19 year old, developing VFL ruckmen.

This is where I feel like the AFL is missing a big opportunity for VFL listed guys onto their clubs lists.

Every club in the country has a reserves team, they should be allowed to take one, say 19 year old, or older from there own reserves list. Would give incentive for more kids to play state league football. OBviously, pople will argue the northern clubs may struggle to attract 18/19/20 year old quality but they still have some very good state league players.

It'd be a travesty if we have put so much time into Riley and another club takes him from under our noses.. again. Campbell style.

Agree. All sides should get first option at drafting from their VFL side. Keep the bidding system and if another club makes a bid you have to match it but yes time spent developing players should count for something.

in all honesty the whole system is a bit wonky. The rookie list is a joke now. It should be for rookies. The make up of the list should be 45 players on the main list with maybe 5 cheap spots for players who have played AFL ie Zack Clarke. Your back up types. Then there should be 5 spots for genuine rookies who have not played AFL.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Agree. All sides should get first option at drafting from their VFL side. Keep the bidding system and if another club makes a bid you have to match it but yes time spent developing players should count for something.

in all honesty the whole system is a bit wonky. The rookie list is a joke now. It should be for rookies. The make up of the list should be 45 players on the main list with maybe 5 cheap spots for players who have played AFL ie Zack Clarke. Your back up types. Then there should be 5 spots for genuine rookies who have not played AFL.

It’s an absolute shambles. It’s forced the introduction of the mid season draft in some way. Allowing clubs to “rookie” list guys who have played 100, 200 games of AFL football is ridiculous. Furthermore, not requiring them to be “upgraded” or whatever you want to call it, why the * do we even have it then?

We are as guilty as anyone for doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
eDPS foj1 wanting some information on these guys and the strengths and weaknesses of these guys;

Biggy Ngyon (sp?)
Tom Dow
Sam De Koning
Hugo Ralph - Smith

Dow and Ralph - smith sound like they could go inside 25 but some have them as low as 55 (BigFooty phantom draft).

Would love to know what's stopping them going higher than this.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
eDPS

Who would you take at 4 if we were to get it for daniher?

Does Kemp project as a midfielder or is it safer to go a Serong or Hayden Young type
Kemp is a slight risk coming of an ACL so will miss nearly all of next year and we may want a player that makes an instant impact since we are losing some of Danihers calibre. Kemp is potentially that tall inside mid we have been begging for and he does see himself as a mid, I really like him forward aswell as his set shot kicking is extremely sound.

Might come as a shock especially with Dodoro not picking his type often but Deven Robertson might also be an option. A player in the Tom Mitchell mould who wins the ball for fun, tough as nails and also tackles hard. His kicking can lack substance under pressure and he isn’t the quickest or tallest mid but he would be what we want Parish to be as consistent big ball winner and tackling machine who wins clearances for fun.

eDPS foj1 wanting some information on these guys and the strengths and weaknesses of these guys;

Biggy Ngyon (sp?)
Tom Dow
Sam De Koning
Hugo Ralph - Smith

Dow and Ralph - smith sound like they could go inside 25 but some have them as low as 55 (BigFooty phantom draft).

Would love to know what's stopping them going higher than this.
Nyoun is a tall utility with some potential upside, imo is only a rookie chance under saints academy, still needs to learn the game more

Dow is a lot like his brother but slightly smaller, has good explosiveness and speed from stoppages and his hands in close are very good, can go forward. He is inconsistent by foot with some good games but no huge games and he is hard to rate

SDK is an athletic tall at 200cm, very good reader of the play down back and good closing speed, kicking can let him down but his hands at ground level and hands in general are outstanding for his size, still light and lacks consistency but upside his huge.

HRS can do some really wonderful things and ticks a lot of boxes with his height, speed, damage and athleticism but his issue has been consistency like a lot of others this year that share his potential, the type of player that could go low or high depending on how confident a club would be in getting his best every week

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Who is the Parish clone?

That's who we take with 4.
giphy.gif

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Kemp is a slight risk coming of an ACL so will miss nearly all of next year and we may want a player that makes an instant impact since we are losing some of Danihers calibre. Kemp is potentially that tall inside mid we have been begging for and he does see himself as a mid, I really like him forward aswell as his set shot kicking is extremely sound.

Might come as a shock especially with Dodoro not picking his type often but Deven Robertson might also be an option. A player in the Tom Mitchell mould who wins the ball for fun, tough as nails and also tackles hard. His kicking can lack substance under pressure and he isn’t the quickest or tallest mid but he would be what we want Parish to be as consistent big ball winner and tackling machine who wins clearances for fun.

Nyoun is a tall utility with some potential upside, imo is only a rookie chance under saints academy, still needs to learn the game more

Dow is a lot like his brother but slightly smaller, has good explosiveness and speed from stoppages and his hands in close are very good, can go forward. He is inconsistent by foot with some good games but no huge games and he is hard to rate

SDK is an athletic tall at 200cm, very good reader of the play down back and good closing speed, kicking can let him down but his hands at ground level and hands in general are outstanding for his size, still light and lacks consistency but upside his huge.

HRS can do some really wonderful things and ticks a lot of boxes with his height, speed, damage and athleticism but his issue has been consistency like a lot of others this year that share his potential, the type of player that could go low or high depending on how confident a club would be in getting his best every week

I realistically like all 4 with any of our picks to be perfectly honest. HRS intrigues me. What player could you compare him to?
I hope we can grab one of the two Dandy boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back