News Pyke Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Chapman: No, there's not termination payment. But on a separate and unrelated note, this week we've decided to donate to the Don Pyke Children Private Education fund, the Don Pyke Golf Membership fund, the Don Pyke International travel Charity and an undisclosed Upper Middle Class Housing Project in Western Australia....

Yeah Chapman said there was no termination (yet) but pretty much in the same sentences said the discussions and what that would look like will be ongoing.

Chapman is an unmitigated disaster and I'm losing faith in Fagan rapidly.

I think we've just lost the best person on staff in the whole footy department.

Don may have chosen to leave for a variety of reasons but the club hierarchy clearly pushed him as well. He will be involved in footy at a decent club elsewhere and he a resounding success.

Today to me highlighted the integrity of Don Pyke and the utter ineptitude of the AFC.
He should go to Freo. They won't skimp on getting him Sumich and anyone else he wants

I think Pyke new that even if we go youth next year, make changes elsewhere, the likelihood is we spend another year out of the 8. That's not something the club could sell to supporters and the media would be all over it as another failed year.

This gets us that "clear air"... I hope we use it to actually make some changes that set us up for a sustained period at the top.

I hope that we don't go for the new coach with the plan that gets us the spike.

Will we get a great coach and if so is it the list that is the problem and we finish outside the eight

Watching the press conference, a number of things spring to mind;

-Thank God Chapman is on his way out, he comes across as slippery as an Eel.
-Don quit because he was clearly being squashed out
-Don definitely will be walking away with money, lots of it
-Fagan should remain once this 'review' is sorted, but not many others should.

Can’t understand why Pyke would do that unless he has the Freo job lined up. Otherwise why would’nt he just wait and take the money?

Because he sees the writing on the wall and has read the tea leaves forecasting he’ll be the number one scapegoat to come out of the internal review?

Why have your reputation completely tarnished for the buffoonery of those around you? Get out while you can.

Yeah Chapman said there was no termination (yet) but pretty much in the same sentences said the discussions and what that would look like will be ongoing.
Pyke isn't walking away without a BIG pound of flesh... Not with what he knows about this club!

And if he doesn't get it from us you know damn well Crocmedia, The Age, and damn near every other media outlet will be on the dog and bone by weeks end offering it too him!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we won't have done a Port Power and keep a coach that has clearly lost the players....there were multiple games this season that has suggested this.
Their supporter base is very conflicted..on the one hand they want to hang crap on us for sacking our coach but at the same time they are angry that their club has not sacked their underperforming coach..they hate us but like a drug can't help but like what we are doing

Watching the press conference, a couple of things spring to mind;

-Thank God Chapman is on his way out, he comes across a slippery as an Eel.
Thats 100% how I see it! Fagan only by the skin of his teeth though

Watching the press conference, a couple of things spring to mind;

-Thank God Chapman is on his way out, he comes across a slippery as an Eel.
Absolutely Pyke will get $$$
Chapman let that on himself anyway in the presser.

But they would have negotiated it, especially if he did choose to selflessly walk.
It saved them a heap of cash anyway.

What I took from that press conference is that Chapman is genuinely clueless to the issues within the football club or is just in complete denial. Pyke seemed genuine to me and honestly believes it’s best for not only him but others to move on eg. emphasis on clear air. Fagan is a good business man but knows nothing about football so didn’t really have anything to add.

Clearly the board and management are well out of touch with the football department and I sincerely hope Pyke has significant input into the review.

Whilst a lot of the discussion has been about what has gone wrong and the ongoing discussion will be around who will be appointed, we should at least acknowledge it was, for at least the first two years, an enjoyable ride.

Taking the on the role amid the turmoil of the aftermath of the death of Phil Walsh, Pyke pulled the group together and within two years became only the second coach in our club's history to lead us to a Grand Final.

The lofty expectations created by that GF appearance enhanced and highlighed even the minor things that went wrong in the two seasons since, but for now let's give praise for what was some great service to the club.

Thanks Don, and good luck.

Last edited:
Absolutely Pyke will get $$$
Chapman let that on himself anyway in the presser.

But they would have negotiated it, especially if he did choose to selflessly walk.
It saved them a heap of cash anyway.
I reckon bare minimum he gets at least a full year of his contract provided he signs a highly specific non disclosure.

Remember these guys are bankers and businessman.. They pay for problems to go away!

No issue with player conditioning?

All year they sold the lack of injuries as a big success and proof that the same team can turn it around, you don't react by sacking people...

But totally ignored the fact that we couldn't run out games and in the end, couldn't run out the season.

I'm sure we'll learn from it though.

Little cousin seems a tad overwrought

This is a good move and the writing was on the wall a few week days ago IMO

A genuine rebuild is possible now - once Hart and Burton are gone too *

*may or may not happen
We’ve lost our coach and your first thought is to see what Port supporters think and then you bring it here.

Seriously how old are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back