Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw this post on the Port forum:

So of the teams that missed finals this year ...

Adelaide, Carlton, Fremantle, North Melbourne and St Kilda sacked their coaches.

Gold Coast's coach started in 2018. Melbourne's coach started in 2017. Sydney's coach is coming off 8 consecutive finals campaigns including a premiership and 3 grand finals. Hawthorn's coach is a 4 time premiership coach.

Aaaaaand old mate started in 2013, hasn't achieved anything, hasn't even made the finals 4 of the past 5 years, but here we are.

Can't believe there was once a "Hinkley envy" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Pyke - all i can remember about him - is when Ablett flattened him in the 92 GF

I once heard Mal Brown - describe that - as a beautiful bump - lol

To be accurate...Pike decided to run at GAS and flatten him...that worked out well for him...

Seems he carried his poor judgement into his coaching strategy as well......Going to be some sort of clean out at the Crows....

To be accurate...Pike decided to run at GAS and flatten him...that worked out well for him...

Seems he carried his poor judgement into his coaching strategy as well......Going to be some sort of clean out at the Crows....
They'll clean out all the areas except the one that's responsible for their failures. It's all wrong at the top. Riccuito, Burton etc. The old crew need to get out and let someone else recreate the Crows of today. I live in Adelaide and have spoken to many many people who've worked at the club and it's apparently toxic as hell. You can always judge a club by the way the A-grade players treat them. Why? Because A-graders have nothing to concede and don't have to - they play where they want. There's a reason many genuine A-graders have walked away from Adelaide in recent times. Danger, Cameron, Gunston, Lever, McGovern etc. And how many A-graders chose to go there? None. Except Eddie, who now wants out. It's a cesspit and the whole thing needs to gutted and built again from scratch.

I thought he was a decent player and would have made a good coach. Pretty hard to come in to that job after their troubles but he did well until the catastrophe when they didn’t turn up in the GF-all been uphill since then.

Lmao I remember saying mid-season in a conversation with Willo that there was ZERO chance Pyke would leave the Crows as it would be unprecedented to sack a coach with a winning percentage above 60% who made a Grand Final only 2 years ago.

Couldn't have got that more wrong if I tried. :drunk:

I think if it's so bad Eddie Betts wants out it speaks volumes about what happened behind closed doors.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt.

Even if you thought it was dirty (and I didn't, and don't), that was years before we became a good team.

Fun fact is in 2007 we had one - ONE - player suspended for the entire season. That was Rooke in Adelaide, and even then he was pretty unlucky. The idea that good teams, even good physical teams, need to literally throw their weight around and play on the edge is complete garbage.
Did I tell you about the time I had to go into hiding with Rushdie for a month?

Just because I suggested on the main board that St Steve made it worse for himself by taking a couple of short steps when he saw it coming.

I don't think I remember a more turbulent week in the AFL and the finals series is responsible for literally none of it.

I just heard a description on SEN as to how the test ... shorts down to the thighs..top up.. a totally unobstructed view is whats written the rules by asada ..

I cant see how he does the dodgy if they do their job properly

ASADA may find out one of their own has been taking bribes - could be tip-of-the-iceberg stuff.

Thought this may be a more appropriate place to continue the Rioli discussion and seems he really didn't do a good job at trying to dupe the anti-doping authorities:

West Coast Eagles livewire Willie Rioli was caught pouring a liquid — possibly an energy drink — into a drug-test beaker in a panicked attempt to dupe anti-doping officers.
Rioli, 24, is out of tomorrow’s semi-final showdown against Geelong at the MCG after being suspended on Wednesday night over an “adverse analytical finding” that there was a “urine substitution”.
Rioli had been caught by two Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority officers overseeing a test in Perth on August 20, insiders say, amid speculation that the substance was an energy drink.
“He tried to manipulate his sample on-site and got caught red-handed,” a source said.
Rioli would then have been forced to provide a legitimate sample, the test results of which had not yet been revealed, the insider added.

Hopefully he at least tried to use lemon-lime flavour and not grape or blue bolt

But it does raise the question - he was caught on the spot, so how was he eligible to play the last 2 matches?

HOW IT UNFOLDED
August 18 - Willie Rioli kicks two goals in the Eagles’ six-point, Round 22 loss to Richmond at the MCG
August 20 - Drug test conducted
August 24 - Rioli boots three goals in a shock 38-point Round 23 loss to Hawthorn in Perth
September 5 - Rioli has 15 possessions in a 55-point win over Essendon in the first Elimination Final in Perth
Wednesday - ASADA informs the AFL of the result of Rioli’s drug test and Rioli is formally notified of his suspension upon arriving in Melbourne
Today at 4.20pm - News breaks of Rioli’s “adverse analytical finding for urine substitution’’ and subsequent suspension

How can he be caught pouring another liquid into the container when the ASADA rep must watch them actually urinate into it?

Something is off about all this.
Obviously they didn’t watch closely.

The samples are supposed to be sealed after they are handed in, and only a machine in the lab can open it. So why was the sample in the open for him to pour gatorade in it?

Obviously they didn’t watch closely.

The samples are supposed to be sealed after they are handed in, and only a machine in the lab can open it. So why was the sample in the open for him to pour gatorade in it?
I think the individual urinates into a beaker and once the required line is reached, the officials then pour that into 2 containers (a & b samples) which are sealed and can only be opened by machine.

There's also provisions around if the athlete can't urinate enough in one go that the first container has a temporary seal until the athlete is ready to go again.

I wonder if Rioli maybe ran dry/didn't want to provide a full sample the first time. And then he made a very poor attempt do the dodgy and pour a non-urine substance into the beaker.

He got caught and then had to urinate into a second beaker anyway and that second attempt is what would have become his a & b samples

Did anyone else hear the bloke from Perth on Macquarie with Marco and The Ox yesterday just after the Willie news broke?
Apparently there will be another announcement after the grand final, same deal, but they wouldn't drop the name for legal reasons.
If Willie's news has gone public, how can they be hiding the other?

Did anyone else hear the bloke from Perth on Macquarie with Marco and The Ox yesterday just after the Willie news broke?
Apparently there will be another announcement after the grand final, same deal, but they wouldn't drop the name for legal reasons.
If Willie's news has gone public, how can they be hiding the other?

If it's true it wouldn't surprise me at all, it would then be a big named player and the AFL will do everything in it's power to protect it's name.
They'll sweep anything under the carpet if they can, and fairness and what's right can GAGF as far as they are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back