Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bruce to Dogs for the first rounder and flick it onto Freo for Hill.

Job done and home in time for tea and medals.

So that’s Stephen Hill sorted, now what you got for Brad?

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
So that’s Stephen Hill sorted, now what you got for Brad?

Like Jack Steven, Brad is clearly suffering from mental anguish.

In this day and age there is an onus on clubs to make sure they do the right thing by players and get them where they need to be in order to maximise their excessive pay cheques.

If the Saints can do their right thing by Jack offloadi..err..trading him to the Cats then it is absolutely incumbent on the Dockers to do the same.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I’d walk away from this trade if I were the Saints. Split pick 5 and get as many picks for next years draft/trade period.

Doubt we are in contention for the finals next season so let him run down another year on his contract.
Thank goodness. Love him to stay and finish his contract.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
not for the price on his head they wont ... hence why we offered $900k .. basically rules out any other club .. only thing stopping it is Freo not accepting a trade .. and if that happens well they gotta live with him ... apparently he loves the Dockers so he will be happy to lose out on $900k and leave his missus in Melbourne ...
Nah, he isn't going for the money, it is about the girlfriend. You are offering that much money because you are desperadoes and without that would be bottom of the pile. Plenty of clubs will be after Hill.

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Saints posters just want to win trade period lol.

Hill is easily worth pick 5 + another pick in the top 30s. I think he is their 2nd best player after Fyfe. It probably wont be that much though but Saints need another pick to do the trade whether they have to split pick 5 for 2 first rounders roughly or a top 10 and a 2nd round pick, or trade a future pick and pick 5, but that leaves them with little else and really poor draft position for the season.
Gee wiz can you come to Geelong and organise the Kelly trade? You’d get us 3 top 10 picks and a 2nd rounder for him lol.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
... but Freo fans dont understand the basics of football.. the last freo game i was at the clown behind me was saying the umpire were cheating because they allowed Silvagni to keep on tacklling them and wanted Kruzer red carded cause Fyfe ran into him and went down ... dont even get me started on the nuffies who call up WA radio complaining about the unfair treatment Freo get ...
over the years ive been to pretty much been to most teams home games ... Port Adelaide and Collingwood are the most feral ... Fremantle easily the lowest footy iq

Dramatization may not have happened

Take my logue

Debutant
Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
not for the price on his head they wont ... hence why we offered $900k .. basically rules out any other club .. only thing stopping it is Freo not accepting a trade .. and if that happens well they gotta live with him ... apparently he loves the Dockers so he will be happy to lose out on $900k and leave his missus in Melbourne ...
Less ellipsis please. That is all.

Nothing too new but with us leaking this to the media almost certainly, I dont see anyway we dont end up with pick 5. There wont be any Bruce pick or breaking the pick up shenanigans or he stays with us.

What goes with 5 (either way) will be the kicker

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

Nothing too new but with us leaking this to the media almost certainly, I dont see anyway we dont end up with pick 5. There wont be any Bruce pick or breaking the pick up shenanigans or he stays with us.

100%

Pick 5 will be used.

The only issue is what pick or picks get used around it.

Still think the Saints will get something back, time will tell.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That’s not as much of a hard line as I expected from Bell tbh. Pick 5 “being involved” could mean plenty of things. I’ve always thought it would be Hill for 5 but hill + steak knives could maybe happen.

When this happened with Essendon we got pick 5 for Carlisle and a second round pick downgrade, but the Saints got pick 14 back from Sydney in exchange for a bunch of other picks that they could use on an academy player via the points system.

If that’s anything to go by and if any academy clubs need points we could see something similar.

Last edited:
When this happened with Essendon we got pick 5 for Carlisle and a second round pick downgrade, but the Saints got pick 11 (?) back from Sydney in exchange for a bunch of other picks that they could use on an academy player via the points system.

If that’s anything to go by and if any academy clubs need points we could see something similar.
I think pick 5 is the minimum we just told the media to make sure the Saints dont do something silly like break up pick 5 which they were rumored to be trying to do.

Saints supporters want something back with 5, Freo supporters want something coming with 5. Generally means 5 is pretty close.

I'd personally be annoyed if we let contracted Hill go for anything less than 5 but I seem to be in the minority on the Freo board who want 5, a future 1st, first rights to draft all of Riewoldts kids and Ratten as an assistant

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like Jack Steven, Brad is clearly suffering from mental anguish.

In this day and age there is an onus on clubs to make sure they do the right thing by players and get them where they need to be in order to maximise their excessive pay cheques.

If the Saints can do their right thing by Jack offloadi..err..trading him to the Cats then it is absolutely incumbent on the Dockers to do the same.
It’s his girlfriend is one with the homesickness not Brad.

In fact, Brad in Melbourne has homesickness.

Makes it hard to live like that as a couple.

I think pick 5 is the minimum we just told the media to make sure the Saints dont do something silly like break up pick 5 which they were rumored to be trying to do.

Saints supporters want something back with 5, Freo supporters want something coming with 5. Generally means 5 is pretty close.

I'd personally be annoyed if we let contracted Hill go for anything less than 5 but I seem to be in the minority on the Freo board who want 5, a future 1st, first rights to draft all of Riewoldts kids and Ratten as an assistant
Ya if you look at the Carlisle trade on paper that’s basically the same.

In the deal:
- Essendon receives Bird and pick No.5, gives up Carlisle and pick No.44, and exchanges pick No.23 for pick No.24;

- St Kilda receives Carlisle and pick No.14 and gives up pick No.5 and pick No.24;

- Sydney Swans receive picks No.23 and pick No.44, and gives up pick No.14 and Bird.

The context of it is in the link below but it’s an interesting example where we felt like we got him for pick 5 (after they said they wouldn’t trade it etc) and they feel like they got him for a first round pick downgrade (after saying they wouldn’t trade 5 unless they stayed in the first round).

Sydney’s part in it is more unusual, but their manoeuvring netted them Callum Mills so they’re not unhappy either.

It would be interesting if something like that happened again for Hill, where you guys get pick 5 and a third party makes it a bit more palatable for St Kilda.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

In the deal:
- Essendon receives Bird and pick No.5, gives up Carlisle and pick No.44, and exchanges pick No.23 for pick No.24;

- St Kilda receives Carlisle and pick No.14 and gives up pick No.5 and pick No.24;

- Sydney Swans receive picks No.23 and pick No.44, and gives up pick No.14 and Bird.

The context of it is in the link below but it’s an interesting example where we felt like we got him for pick 5 (after they said they wouldn’t trade it etc) and they feel like they got him for a first round pick downgrade (after saying they wouldn’t trade 5 unless they stayed in the first round).

Sydney’s part in it is more unusual, but their manoeuvring netted them Callum Mills so they’re not unhappy either.

It would be interesting if something like that happened again for Hill, where you guys get pick 5 and a third party makes it a bit more palatable for St Kilda.
Acres and pick 5 for B Hill and 2020 third round.

No need for a third party.

In the deal:

I think its the pick upgrade/downgrade Freo fans will have a problem with.

I know salary isnt the be all and end all but 900k for 5 years is a massive offer. Yes Saints are doing it because they have cash to splash but they wouldnt be offering Darcy Tucker 900k a year.

5 seems reasonable without anything going back from Freo given the contract status and money being offered. Given the stance we've had on prior trades I'd be surprised if we let him go for anyting less but maybe I overvalue Hill compared to the AFL

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nah, he isn't going for the money, it is about the girlfriend. You are offering that much money because you are desperadoes and without that would be bottom of the pile. Plenty of clubs will be after Hill.
so you seriously think hill will be happy to throw away the reported $900k and have his missus live the otherside of the country because Freo wanted to "win" trade week by over valuing the trade value of a bloke who wants out ...
righty-o-then

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

i actually read that as thats what your offer is ... pick 5 ... negotiation usually works where you put out an inflated prices and they put out an underwhelming price and your make ground somewhere in the middle where you are comfortable ... the way i read that Freo are not getting anything more than pick 5 for hill

Back