News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Maybe, the tester, noticed shenanigans, and reported it, as they should.

If there were shenanigans it would surely come under failure to comply, which can be dealt with right away, rather than an irregularity in the test itself.

fomoco04

1992, 1994, 2006, 2018
Jun 18, 2007
West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Deportivo, Man U
So surely it's a diluted sample? Sounds near impossible to tamper with during the sampling.

I’m an accredited tester. Now unless ASADAs protocols are demonstrably different to mine sites it’s actually not possible to water down samples.

Your supposed to put a coloured dye into a toilet to stop the water being used to dilute a sample and your supposed to put tape over basin taps so they can’t be turned on to dilute the sample.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
So surely it's a diluted sample? Sounds near impossible to tamper with during the sampling.

That's what it sounds like. But how, when and where?

Maybe, the tester, noticed shenanigans, and reported it, as they should.

Nope.

From ASADA's own guidelines:

"Once notified of selection for testing, the athlete must remain in direct observation of the DCO or Chaperone until the DCO is satisfied that the sample collection procedure is complete.
Any attempt to evade notification may result in an anti‑doping rule violation and a ban from sport."

Rioli was charged with a violation because of the contents of his sample. If he tried to dodge a test or the tester thought he was up to no good during the test he would've been banned before the Hawthorn game.

The $64,000 question is what is in his sample that has ASADA jimmies rustled and how did it get there?

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm just pi**ed at Rioli. WC already have a bad name for this s**t from our past, and now we got to go through it all again. Yeah I know he's hurting and would be having a terrible time of it. But FFS Rioli, what the fu** were you thinking?

I can really relate to your post mate.

My Club are experts at doing dumbarse shi& that often stuffs up our season.......it makes no sense to me that players can be so dumb.

I have always rated your team even when my mate in WA who is a WC supporter just texted me to say it is a Victorian conspiracy with Willie.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

ROO DOGG

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Just heard Joey Montagna on AFL tonight. Reckons to put the brakes on, because if the ASADA rep did his job right should not.be possible.for Willie to tamper w it. Said you pull underwear down to ankles and lift shirt up.and the rep.watches the stream come out of your penis. Hopefully some kind of Seinfeld lab contamination. Fingers crossed.
Hats off to Joey, good to hear inside info
You'd arguably be more devastated if you were innocent because there's no way this gets fully investigated and overturned in the next month.
That is my take on this, Willi's reaction of being so distraught doesnt point to someone who is unlucky to be caught cheating but to somone who cant believe what the hell is going on. They should test him again and if he is clean he should play. (But we all know this wont happen). Has to be Innocent until proven guilty.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m an accredited tester. Now unless ASADAs protocols are demonstrably different to mine sites it’s actually not possible to water down samples.

Your supposed to put a coloured dye into a toilet to stop the water being used to dilute a sample and your supposed to put tape over basin taps so they can’t be turned on to dilute the sample.

I would expect ASADA to be more stringent than you, not less.

I cannot fathom an AFL player doing a drug test being able to take half a cup of water out of the toilet bowl or turn a tap on etc. and if you have your shirt pulled up to your nips and pants around your ankles good luck concealing a Camelbak bladder or hip flask.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
******* fold the club, what in the world has happened here.

Not sure how you can use other urine, or tamper with the sample if you never know when the testers are rocking up? Don't they roll around at all hours and watch you piss etc?

Who knows, I hope it's some sort of mistake for Willie and the clubs sake. We've been one of the cleanest team in the comp since 2006 and this just adds fuel to an ingrained, but unfair, narrative.

illegaleagle

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Leeds,Glory,
I can really relate to your post mate.

My Club are experts at doing dumbarse shi& that often stuffs up our season.......it makes no sense to me that players can be so dumb.

I have always rated your team even when my mate in WA who is a WC supporter just texted me to say it is a Victorian conspiracy with Willie.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers comrade, tbh if we are out this week go and win the flag dont want the cats or tigers winning it and you guys were great last year after coming so close

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

That is my take on this, Willi's reaction of being so distraught doesnt point to someone who is unlucky to be caught cheating but to somone who cant believe what the hell is going on. They should test him again and if he is clean he should play. (But we all know this wont happen). Has to be Innocent until proven guilty.
Thats not the way PED on sport work for obvious reasons. As for Willi being distraught - this is his life

Makka

Premiership Player
Aug 25, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
David Grace QC to ASADA rep...

"so Rioli pulled his pants down and lifted his shirt and you observed him provide the sample. No? So you didn't follow procedure? What happens to the sample afterwards..."

Or

"Yes? So how then can you allege tampering as you have just explained to the court that that is impossible"....

I like that!

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
If he'd added water to the cup, which is basically impossible to do a drug test of any description, the tester would have picked it up straight away with a "dip-stick" that is there specifically to test for excess water/weak urine

Impossible he could have added another person's urine as well with the tester right there, the whole thing just doesn't compute

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast

If this is the case and the sample was contaminated elsewhere...than how can Willie be suspended.

He should only be suspended if he himself tampered with it somehow

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
If he'd added water to the cup, which is basically impossible to do a drug test of any description, the tester would have picked it up straight away with a "dip-stick" that is there specifically to test for excess water/weak urine

Impossible he could have added another person's urine as well with the tester right there, the whole thing just doesn't compute

Drug test for work. There is either a person next to you or if you go to a dedicated facility they often have cameras. To pull it off would require something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Sorry, I should have clarified - when I said diluted I meant through excess consumption of water/similar.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
That's what it sounds like. But how, when and where?

Nope.

From ASADA's own guidelines:

"Once notified of selection for testing, the athlete must remain in direct observation of the DCO or Chaperone until the DCO is satisfied that the sample collection procedure is complete.
Any attempt to evade notification may result in an anti‑doping rule violation and a ban from sport."

Rioli was charged with a violation because of the contents of his sample. If he tried to dodge a test or the tester thought he was up to no good during the test he would've been banned before the Hawthorn game.

The $64,000 question is what is in his sample that has ASADA jimmies rustled and how did it get there?

When it comes out it will be fairly logical to see whats what and why.

Where did we play a game or two prior to the Tigers game?

Back