Coach Justin Longmuir

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would be a bit concerned if we have not actually even interviewed Longmuir yet. Especially considering Collingwood have had this week off, you would think that would have been the perfect opportunity. I am getting the feeling that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when Longmuir doesn’t get the gig
Is that one for the C(larkson)-Files? :greenalien::think:

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
North's been going big on grabbing Assistants (Now grabbed Jared Rivers)

Want an announcement soonish so we can start grabbing blokes before they get picked up elsewhere. Craig Jennings and Leigh Tudor both on the market
Wouldn't be the first time someone got picked as an assistant at one club then cancelled that to be a senior coach a couple of weeks later. Michael Voss did it when he got snapped up by Brisbane.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Pyke?

A win percentage of over 60% is very good.
Wouldn't be surprised if he was hamstrung by the decisions being made by the likes of Roo & Burton at Adelaide.

EDIT: Took Crows to a Grand Final in his 2nd year. Things went off the rails after that mainly due to the infamous camp and then injury issues from a poor fitness program, neither of which is the responsibility of the head coach.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
He’s a smart man.

F656E748-00BD-4CF9-9219-897F21B16D26.jpeg

Torree

Premium Platinum
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I saw Belly walking the strip in front of Gateways earlier this week with a bigger than usual strut. The song ‘He’s a smooth operator’ came to mind.

I don’t want to get my hopes up but... the lure of a sea change, a club in its 4th year of a rebuild with 2 AA’s, a solid backline and a promising forward line, combined with a loyal & passionate empty-handed fan base... just might be alluring to a coach like Clarkson. Who knows, unlikely but not completely impossible.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
I saw Belly walking the strip in front of Gateways earlier this week with a bigger than usual strut. The song ‘He’s a smooth operator’ came to mind.

I don’t want to get my hopes up but... the lure of a sea change, a club in its 4th year of a rebuild with 2 AA’s, a solid backline and a promising forward line, combined with a loyal & passionate empty-handed fan base... just might be alluring to a coach like Clarkson. Who knows, unlikely but not completely impossible.
Or perhaps he's pulled off a different kind of master stroke. The unthinkable, something no one ever thought about.

He substituted his urine for Willie Rioli's

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC

And water slides, nobody else can do that.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Seems the sort of bloke that wants to keep challenging himself.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gee, does not matter who the coach is when you have incidents that upset the dynamic of the team and possibly club...hard to coach successfully through that. Eagles BF in meltdown...protesting innocence, conspiracy etc.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I may have a greater than sensible risk appetite, but for mine Pyke was a great coach (60+% win rate and a better finals/GF achievement rate per game than RTB) who made one fatal error from which there was no recovery (and which he will have learned plenty from). That was the appointment of ‘Collective Minds’ - the power stance and pre-season camp followed and there was no recovery possible from there.

Could be worth a punt for Freo and has stated he wants to carry on coaching.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I may have a greater than sensible risk appetite, but for mine Pyke was a great coach (60+% win rate and a better finals/GF achievement rate per game than RTB) who made one fatal error from which there was no recovery (and which he will have learned plenty from). That was the appointment of ‘Collective Mind’ - the power stance and pre-season camp followed and there was no recovery possible from there.

Could be worth a punt for Freo and has stated he wants to carry on coaching.
I agree.

He did well until the collective minds.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don Pyke’s decision to stand down as Adelaide coach should force Fremantle to move quickly in finding Ross Lyon’s successor.
Previously in the luxurious position of hunting for their man without genuine competition, the Dockers are now competing with a powerhouse club that will be ruthless in its pursuit of the right person to replace Pyke.
It’s been 23 days since Lyon was sacked and it is understood candidates are yet to front the club’s coaching sub-committee. Adelaide appointed the late Phil Walsh 20 days after sacking Brenton Sanderson in 2014.
The Dockers have so far set timelines around appointing a new coach before the end of the finals series, but that may need to be brought forward after Adelaide entered the market.

It is understood some candidates have been through an initial meeting with football manager Peter Bell and expect to know by the end of this week if they will be invited to present to the coaching sub-committee.
Those interviews are anticipated to be next week. It is a timeline that leaves the club vulnerable to missing out on its preferred candidate with the Crows circling.

There is another scenario at play, however, which involves a new Fremantle candidate emerging on Thursday.
Justin Longmuir and Peter Sumich are confirmed contenders for the top job, but what about Pyke? Speaking to the media on Thursday, the 50-year-old former Eagle didn’t rule out coaching in the future.
“He is a Perth boy, his family is from Perth, he is really Perth orientated, (and) he’s had a great four years in Adelaide,” former Crows coach and AFL legend Malcolm Blight said on SEN on Thursday.
“What about the challenge of a new club in his home state? Would that be on his agenda?
“Someone might be knocking on his door right now from Fremantle?”

Pyke, a dual premiership player with West Coast, led the Crows to 56 wins from 93 games in his four seasons, taking the club to the 2017 Grand Final.
If Pyke is a contender, Fremantle need to give other candidates a shot to prove they are a better fit.
If he is not a candidate, they need to find their man before the Crows swoop.
Longmuir’s role in Collingwood’s premiership charge makes it difficult for the Dockers to move on him.
But the sub-committee had an ideal window to interview the 38-year-old this week after Collingwood’s qualifying final win and it is understood that hasn’t yet taken place.

Longmuir’s manager Colin Young warned almost two weeks ago that the Dockers would risk missing out on their preferred candidate if they didn’t move quickly, giving the coaching market’s volatility.
At that time, St Kilda was yet to appoint caretaker Brett Ratten and Essendon coach John Worsfold was under significant pressure.
“I’m hoping they’ll get moving quickly with the people they want to interview,” Young told Mix 94.5.
Worsfold’s position has been guaranteed for 2020 and Ratten is now in place at the Saints for the next three years.
But a new challenger emerged on Thursday, and parting with a Grand Final coach with two years remaining shows the Crows will be ruthless. Fremantle must be as well.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don Pyke’s decision to stand down as Adelaide coach should force Fremantle to move quickly in finding Ross Lyon’s successor.
Previously in the luxurious position of hunting for their man without genuine competition, the Dockers are now competing with a powerhouse club that will be ruthless in its pursuit of the right person to replace Pyke.
It’s been 23 days since Lyon was sacked and it is understood candidates are yet to front the club’s coaching sub-committee. Adelaide appointed the late Phil Walsh 20 days after sacking Brenton Sanderson in 2014.
The Dockers have so far set timelines around appointing a new coach before the end of the finals series, but that may need to be brought forward after Adelaide entered the market.

It is understood some candidates have been through an initial meeting with football manager Peter Bell and expect to know by the end of this week if they will be invited to present to the coaching sub-committee.
Those interviews are anticipated to be next week. It is a timeline that leaves the club vulnerable to missing out on its preferred candidate with the Crows circling.

There is another scenario at play, however, which involves a new Fremantle candidate emerging on Thursday.
Justin Longmuir and Peter Sumich are confirmed contenders for the top job, but what about Pyke? Speaking to the media on Thursday, the 50-year-old former Eagle didn’t rule out coaching in the future.
“He is a Perth boy, his family is from Perth, he is really Perth orientated, (and) he’s had a great four years in Adelaide,” former Crows coach and AFL legend Malcolm Blight said on SEN on Thursday.
“What about the challenge of a new club in his home state? Would that be on his agenda?
“Someone might be knocking on his door right now from Fremantle?”

Pyke, a dual premiership player with West Coast, led the Crows to 56 wins from 93 games in his four seasons, taking the club to the 2017 Grand Final.
If Pyke is a contender, Fremantle need to give other candidates a shot to prove they are a better fit.
If he is not a candidate, they need to find their man before the Crows swoop.
Longmuir’s role in Collingwood’s premiership charge makes it difficult for the Dockers to move on him.
But the sub-committee had an ideal window to interview the 38-year-old this week after Collingwood’s qualifying final win and it is understood that hasn’t yet taken place.

Longmuir’s manager Colin Young warned almost two weeks ago that the Dockers would risk missing out on their preferred candidate if they didn’t move quickly, giving the coaching market’s volatility.
At that time, St Kilda was yet to appoint caretaker Brett Ratten and Essendon coach John Worsfold was under significant pressure.
“I’m hoping they’ll get moving quickly with the people they want to interview,” Young told Mix 94.5.
Worsfold’s position has been guaranteed for 2020 and Ratten is now in place at the Saints for the next three years.
But a new challenger emerged on Thursday, and parting with a Grand Final coach with two years remaining shows the Crows will be ruthless. Fremantle must be as well.

Oh wow look it’s our man Colin telling us how we should run our club again. :rolleyes:

Who does he think he is??

Honestly **** off grub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back